JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking at new Ruger 10/22's lately and noticed that many (most, all) have sights that are totally off-center. When I look down the barrel, using the screws on the receiver as a "true center", the rear sight on the barrel and/or the front sight are off (sometimes significantly) to the right/left of that center.

Is this poor workmanship or is this something that's easily corrected? I know that Ruger has some sort of "v-block" that aligns the barrel, so maybe this is just off and needs adjusting?

And, when I say the rear sight is off-center, I'm not talking about something that can simply be re-centered by tapping with a punch. I'm talking about completely off by several degrees of rotation.

to answer OPs question. The front and rear sight are on the barrel on the 10/22. That means that incorrectly centering the barrel on the vblock will cause misalignment with the receiver screws. Usually, you simply need to loosen the vblock, rotate barrel, retighten.

However, be sure that the extractor is sitting correctly in the groove in the barrel breach. If it rubs the barrel during cycling of the bolt, you have a readjust, and the sights may be placed incorrectly on the barrel.

This is my take on the issue from looking at my 10/22, anyhow.

to answer OPs question. The front and rear sight are on the barrel on the 10/22. That means that incorrectly centering the barrel on the vblock will cause misalignment with the receiver screws. Usually, you simply need to loosen the vblock, rotate barrel, retighten.

Thanks - that's what I thought might be the case, but wasn't sure whether there was a broader quality problem going on. (beyond the use of plastic parts, etc. in new guns)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top