Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Ruger 10/22 Iron Sights

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Sun195, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I've been looking at new Ruger 10/22's lately and noticed that many (most, all) have sights that are totally off-center. When I look down the barrel, using the screws on the receiver as a "true center", the rear sight on the barrel and/or the front sight are off (sometimes significantly) to the right/left of that center.

Is this poor workmanship or is this something that's easily corrected? I know that Ruger has some sort of "v-block" that aligns the barrel, so maybe this is just off and needs adjusting?

And, when I say the rear sight is off-center, I'm not talking about something that can simply be re-centered by tapping with a punch. I'm talking about completely off by several degrees of rotation.

2. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Mine was off after about a thousand rounds and not exactly careful handling.
    Easy to adjust.

3. ZombieAssassin

ZombieAssassin Oregon Member

Don't waste your time with the factory iron sights. Get the TSR 200 Ruger 10/22 front/rear sight set from Tech Sights. I have them on my rifles, and they are far superior.

4. jhc5

jhc5 Seattle, WA Member

to answer OPs question. The front and rear sight are on the barrel on the 10/22. That means that incorrectly centering the barrel on the vblock will cause misalignment with the receiver screws. Usually, you simply need to loosen the vblock, rotate barrel, retighten.

However, be sure that the extractor is sitting correctly in the groove in the barrel breach. If it rubs the barrel during cycling of the bolt, you have a readjust, and the sights may be placed incorrectly on the barrel.

This is my take on the issue from looking at my 10/22, anyhow.

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Thanks - that's what I thought might be the case, but wasn't sure whether there was a broader quality problem going on. (beyond the use of plastic parts, etc. in new guns)