JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just purchased a V3 waterfowl pro, and the barrel was covered in a thick layer of rust inside the barrel. It was so bad that normal cleaning with a bore snake, then rods with a copper brush and solvent, would not remove it all. I have not fired the shotgun, and have attached pictures of the bore right after I removed it from the box.

I waited a long while to get my hands on it, my old 870 was showing some serious wear and tear after 15 years of duck hunting. Not happy at all, contacted Remington today so we shall see what they say.

IMG_20200302_192029.jpg IMG_20200302_192025.jpg IMG_20200302_191904.jpg IMG_20200302_192043.jpg

Where did you buy it from?
I'd be taking it back asking for a new barrel.

it probably got wet or stuck in humidity while in a warehouse or in transit and just sat on a shelf.
probably not Remington's fault, I'd blame the seller

I ordered it from a vender to a local gun store, they have only been in production for a short while (less than a year when I placed the order) and are not easy to find. I doubt it sat anywhere long anyways.

Rust happens, but generally not new out of the box. I am certainly concerned that a gun that will see nothing but use in a boat on salt water is already rusting, doesn't say much for Remington's new lineup. No word back from big green as of yet, aside from a ticket number.

I ordered it from a vender to a local gun store, they have only been in production for a short while (less than a year when I placed the order) and are not easy to find. I doubt it sat anywhere long anyways.

Rust happens, but generally not new out of the box. I am certainly concerned that a gun that will see nothing but use in a boat on salt water is already rusting, doesn't say much for Remington's new lineup. No word back from big green as of yet, aside from a ticket number.
Well I have a 870 that I have had for a few years like 9 years .
Dropped it in the pond fully submerged.
Not to mention years of rain duck hunting.
Lol out of the box rust would be a problem.
And how much do they cost .
Lol but not that funny.
I got ITALIAN
GUN.

My 870 rusts externally if not wiped down, especially under the ribs but not inside the bore. MSRP on the V3 waterfowl is $1100. I have an old (1972) 1100 20ga and it has just a tiny bit of rust on the barrel every now and then but again, never in the bore. I heard that Remington was over the quality control issues but I guess not.

Mossberg and Remington were the two I was considering. I like my weapons US made, especially when you have to have work done my the manufacturer for normal wear and tear. We will see what happens with Remington's service department; they may have a quick and easy solution (I am hoping).

I have never personally had a rust issue with any of the Remmies I've owned... this would be a BIG WTF moment if I did. 'Course mine are all from the OLD Remington.. Welcome to the new Remington! That's pretty bad when you have to get the gun refinished from the factory! Shouldnt the barrel have some sort of chome-like wear and rust-proof lining anyway? Even an AK has that...
Thanks for the heads-up on the continuing quality issues at Remington...

I thought new guns always had grease in the barrel to prevent rust until sold.... Am I misberemebering, or they don't do that anymore??? I always had to clean the gunk out of the bore of a new gun before taking it shooting.

Anybody remember Cosmoline? Aishhh, what a pain that stuff was!!!

The manufacturers use different levels and types of production>transport>shelf-life>customer protection.

Some gun manuals state you need to clean out and lubricate before first use, others say it has a light oiling and to check and re-oil before first firing.

Sometimes someone forgot to prep the barrel before it left the line.

Strange!
My 3 Remmy shotguns all have chrome bores, and none have ever shown any rust! All of mine were 80's and 90's production guns, I wonder if/when Remmy stopped chrome plating their bores?

Status update for the shotgun: I submitted the trouble ticket on Monday and had not seen a response, so I called the Remington 1-800 number. The gentleman was somewhat helpful in that he said I should have received shipping instructions for service and resent the instructions to my email. I never saw the original email, if it was ever sent.

The email I did get after calling requests that I send the entire firearm, at my cost, back to Remington, with this disclaimer:

Your request for service on the item(s) will be evaluated by our repairman to determine if it is covered under our warranty policy. If the item(s) are under warranty we will repair and return them. If the item(s) are not under warranty, you will be contacted with an estimate before work is performed. Items being serviced at an authorized repair center will require you to contact them directly for updates and payment options.

Not sold on sending the gun back at MY COST with the potential for them to say, "We will clean the barrel for $X and have the gun back to you at the tail end of next bird season."

I am not a happy hunter at this point, and have had several firearms sent back for warranty work without having to pay for shipping ( both Ruger and S&W sent prepaid shipping labels). No duck hunting shotgun, regardless of cost, is worth this trouble- I hunt for recreation, not for $1k guns to add to my stress level.

So a few notes on Chome lining and some background- I am a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps, and a Combat Marksmanship trainer and Small Arms trainer with extensive firearms knowledge. Chrome lining is used in some guns to prevent corrosion that is caused by prolonged exposure to the elements in powder residue and environmental conditions, but can detract from accuracy. Most barrels are not chome lined, and I have never encountered a chrome lined shot gun barrel, to include the M4 benelli. Most shotgun barrels are honed and polished, which removes the porous surface from the steel that generally leads to rust formation in high humidity/corrosive environments. However, most manufacturers Remington included, recommend oiling the bore prior to storage because it has a polished but untreated surface. What this specific shotgun bore tells be is that there was not a sufficient oil packing (or cosmaline treatment, yes it sucks to clean off but works great) to preserve the bore from time of build to time of use.

Long story short, I paid out the butt for a waterfowl gun, and now I have another rust monster to sit next to my 870. They can swap shades of orange I guess. Never going Big (orange) Green again is the lesson. Now the question is should I send the whole thing back at my cost to maybe have it fixed.

I debated the merits of sending the shotgun back, and instead wrote the following letter to Remington. I am open to suggestions, but I strongly feel like this is something that I shouldn't have to pay for or deal with. Please let me know if I am way off base.

To: Remington Customer Service

Good day,

I am hesitant to send my entire gun to the service department for several reasons. First of all, I have had frustrations in procuring the gun for hunting as it took two full months from time of order to time of receipt of the arm, which arrived too late for me to use in any regular season. Secondly, it is only the barrel I have an issue with. I have already sent pictures of the bore condition when I received the firearm, and I would gladly send the same pictures again, as well as bore condition after cleaning it in the prescribed method in the owners manual. Thirdly, I have little faith in the ability of your company to timely, efficiently, and economically service my regrettably purchased weapon. There is no compelling reason to have me send, at my own cost, a defective product back to you as the manufacturer. I would rather return the entire product for a refund, if I could.
I ordered the firearm in question, a Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro, from my local gun dealer on 27 December 2019, who ordered it through a distributor which is common practice. On January 29th, two days before the end of the regular duck season, the dealer sent either a mis-boxed or mis-labeled V3 Turkey Pro instead, which had the correct item number on the box but contained the improper item. More month later on March 2nd, the correct weapon arrived with the same item number on the box, in a new and disassembled condition. The bore and chamber out of the box were coated in rust so thick that a typical 12 gauge shell would bind in the chamber. Not only did the shotgun arrive after the season had ended, it was unserviceable for use.
Most every shotgun requires oiling of the bore in between seasons to prevent undue corrosion, however the extent that this bore was corroded prior to use proves its futility as a waterfowl shotgun. The rust in the bore extended from the chamber to six inches from the muzzle, and was even prevalent in the threads of the choke tube. The rust was so thick that it fouled the copper brush and bore snake that I have used for several seasons to clean my other two 12 gauge shotguns. Even after soaking the bore in "RemOil," the brand recommended by you as the manufacturer, the bore will not shed the porous corrosion that was evident in the photos I sent. The rest of the weapon seems to be in working order, without any evident rust or oxidation, which may indicate that the handling and packing of the receiver is better than that of the barrel.
I contacted your service department on the day I picked up the firearm, March 2nd, and received ticket number 1073570 via email. I included photos of the bore condition, weapon serial number, and a description of the issue in the original complaint. The next communication I received was a request for the weapon serial number, which was provided in the first email, and then I had no contact from your service department until I called today, March 6th. After contacting your service department, who insisted my name was Adrian and not my given name (Peter) they sent me the email that I am replying to now. In this email, I am directed to send the entire weapon, at my own cost, to your service department for repair. At this point, I have no faith nor any reason to have faith, in the ability of your company to provide a solid product or product support.
I have voiced my concerns to your company through both phone and email support, and have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. I awaited a product that did not perform at all, and am told I have to send it back to you at my cost and on my time. Your product is substandard, and your support of the product is nonexistent from what I have seen. I had hoped for a quality firearm, and instead I am left with rust and platitudes from a corporation that clearly has no concern for the customer. You have the ability to make it right by either sending a replacement barrel or taking the weapon back and refunding the purchase price of the weapon. I sincerely hope that you choose to support the customer that supported you.

Semper Fidelis,

Gunnery Sergeant Berlinetta, USMC

Update to the story, for anyone who cares or is after a newer Remington shotgun:

Remington closed down due to Covid for quite a while, and I never received any response after my last message to them. The shotgun continues to oxidize in strange ways where no other firearm in my safe does. The cerakote is peeling and chipping off the receiver along all of the laser etching lines, and it grows a strange white patina on the etchings. I have shot it twice now, both times about 50 rounds, and it does just fine cycling different loads and patterns very well. However the gas blast back to my face is extreme and a common concern for the V3. I would caution anyone against getting a new Remington firearm after their bankruptcy trouble and covid shut down, the customer service is non existent and the product quality is negligible. Ill post pictures of the weird science experiment that is the aluminum receiver if anyone is interested, I have never seen aluminum fall apart so quickly. Man, I wish I had my money back....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top