JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

ONLY ONE CALIBER :

• 5.7x28 FN

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • 7.62x25 TOKAREV

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • .960 ROWLAND

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • .38 SUPER

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • 9x21

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 9x25 WINCHESTER

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • .356 TSW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .224 BOZ

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • .50 GI

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • .460 ROWLAND

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters
It is beginning to appear although the 40 is an odd cartridge, but there were a couple of decades in which it took over. But since the military never grabbed hold, it is beginning to fade. It will not go away, though. For one reason, it is an extremely popular caliber in the small world of action shooting competition.

These days, competition is the ONLY place in the US that 38Super still exists.

I hear that 38 Super is the most popular round in Mexico because they cant own any round the military uses...

Over the 40....

I hear that 38 Super is the most popular round in Mexico because they cant own any round the military uses...

Over the 40....

That is because the Drug Cartel killers love those fancy 1911's in 38 Super:

Nyhqd.jpg

026e46ca10fe0af5a1314467e02c9b70--drug-cartel-gun-art.jpg

qhSpg.jpg

hi-desert-dogcom-reviews-2-638.jpg

I had to Google the .960 Rowland. For a moment there I thought it was either a typo or a new big-bore (really big-bore), cartridge. :p

As to the poll, none of the above. I really want to like the 5.7x28mm and .50 GI, albeit for very different reasons, but I just can't get excited enough about them. And I've done the 7.62mm Tokarev thing already; good cartridge, but the gun I had (a Yugo M57) was a worthless POS.

Yeah I imagine the drug lords pimp out all their guns...

But I was referring to the average civilians, they can own certain guns with permission from the state but are limited to non-military calibers. I hear the 38 Super is more popular there than 9mm is here.

Just what Ive heard anyways....

A friend of mine served three years in a Mexican prison for shooting and killing two guys.

And not really for killing them.
Heck they broke into his room and tried to kill and rob him!

He served time because he used a .44 magnum. o_O

Yeah I imagine the drug lords pimp out all their guns...

But I was referring to the average civilians, they can own certain guns with permission from the state but are limited to non-military calibers. I hear the 38 Super is more popular there than 9mm is here.

Just what Ive heard anyways....

Your average civilian in Mexico does not own any kind of gun period. It is quite a bureaucratic nightmare to get a license to own one. And there is only one single authorized gun store in the entire country. If you have a gun in Mexico, then you are either a criminal working for one of the powerful drug cartels, or you are one of the many civilians that owns an illegal unregistered black market gun, smuggled in from the USA.

Here is some background on gun ownership in Mexico at the link below. Semiauto handguns with a caliber above 38 ( .357 ) are banned. So it is not at all a matter of caliber preference of the 38 Super over the .45 ACP, as it is illegal to buy or own a .45 caliber pistol in Mexico. Same caliber restriction exists for revolvers, except that the .357 Magnum caliber is banned, even though it is within the bore restriction. For rifles, the max allowed caliber is .308

Mexicans have the right to own guns, but few do

Last Edited:
Your average civilian in Mexico does not own any kind of gun period. It is quite a bureaucratic nightmare to get a license to own one. And there is only one single authorized gun store in the entire country. If you have a gun in Mexico, then you are probably a criminal working for one of the powerful drug cartels.

Here is some background on gun ownership in Mexico:

Mexicans have the right to own guns, but few do

yeah, I have no doubt the bureaucracy to get a gun lawfully is over the top but it is possible and has been for many years I imagine there are many homes with legal guns. Wikipedia suggests that 15% of the country owns guns.

Estimated number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia

Im only saying Ive heard whoever they are favor the 38 Super cause its one of the only calibers they can own in a pistol and not a bad choice at that technically.

38 super.

Im surprised it gets no love actually its a well done round.
Guess I'm with the "Heavy n' slow crowd" or the "Old but still works" crowd ... :D
My vote / choice would not be on your list
What are you wanting to find out with your poll?
Andy
Andy's right. No where in that poll did I see a choice labeled, "A brace of Horse Pistols ". :D;)

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads