JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^Agreed. Braggadocio, the favorite pastime of every showoff and blowhard. Unfortunately this type of person can be found in every occupation.

Follow-through. It comes more easily to people who grew up playing a sport. Although some people are natural shooters.
That they are. I have known only a couple really good shots. They are a lot like people who have the ability to do many sports. Some pick up a gun and soon are good. With some practice they become great. Can be fun to watch some of them as they of course make it look so damn easy. To them it was and is. An amazing number tell themselves how great they are and then suddenly can't do it when they get to a range though. :D

That they are. I have known only a couple really good shots. They are a lot like people who have the ability to do many sports. Some pick up a gun and soon are good. With some practice they become great. Can be fun to watch some of them as they of course make it look so damn easy. To them it was and is. An amazing number tell themselves how great they are and then suddenly can't do it when they get to a range though. :D
I have a nephew who is sickeningly good with guns and bows, thrown bladed weapons, etc. I don't think he has shot much. He is a natural as an archer (and is nationally ranked and a state champion) He is the one person I have ever seen that was great almost instantly. Probably has under 500 rounds down range and can outshoot most I have seen.

Me, I started amazing… …ly awful. I am a pretty decent shot now and have burned more cartridges to get there than many. I am that kind of shooter whose skill comes from practice, stubbornness and brute force of will.

The guy who hands a hard recoiling handgun to a novice is the opposite of a good teacher (with respect to anything). The good teacher shows you how and makes it seem easy to master and you believe you can master it and, surprise!, you do. He has in reality thought carefully about the way to master the skills and presented it in steps so you are succeeding at each step. His ego is low key and generous. He is happy to have you become his equal or nearer to his equal with respect to the knowledge or skill. This will make him seem a bit less exalted with respect to you. But his is a happy ego that enjoys company. And he loves watching and helping you grow in knowledge, skill, and self-confidence.

The guy who hands the hard recoiling handgun to a novice wants the novice to be humiliated and discouraged from thinking she could ever learn it. He wants her to believe he is superior to her in this way, and maybe by extension, in all ways. His own ego is too fragile to allow him to teach anybody anything. He will use any opportunities to teach as a chance to make the subject as difficult to learn as possible. He wants the right to have contempt for a gf or wife and to express it openly. This guy will make a rotten husband. Either the lady will divorce him or he will undermine her until she has lost all her courage and joy in life and will to live.

Noise is a big factor in developing flinch. This was probably a big factor back when most people didn't use hearing protection in practicing shooting. I am guessing that women are more sensitive to the noise than men, on average. Especially men whose hearing is already damaged by exposure to various kinds of power tools, even lawn mowers.

I have a nephew who is sickeningly good with guns and bows, thrown bladed weapons, etc. I don't think he has shot much. He is a natural as an archer (and is nationally ranked and a state champion) He is the one person I have ever seen that was great almost instantly. Probably has under 500 rounds down range and can outshoot most I have seen.

Me, I started amazing… …ly awful. I am a pretty decent shot now and have burned more cartridges to get there than many. I am that kind of shooter whose skill comes from practice, stubbornness and brute force of will.
Sometimes its both amazing and frustrating to see someone who is just so damn good without even really trying . :D
Like so many things some have it some don't. On kid for a while lived close by a guy who made wood carvings with a chain saw that were fantastic. When I got a few chances to see him making something it was like magic. When I asked him how he does it he just shrugged. Said I just remove what does not look like what I want to end up with. I shoot weekly and will not ever come close to the really good shooters but then I sure can't do anything with a chainsaw other than cut a log in half :s0140:

One tip I should have figured out earlier was buy once cry once. NOTHING about the gun world is cheap
To a certain extent this follows almost everything in life but, you have to decide what you want any tool for. Some guns run a price that is very low and will still run longer than I will live. A lot will depend on how much you are going to use it as with any tool. With many guns of the "higher end" they can really shine when years down the road you may wish to sell them if that day comes. Look at what some things like old S&W or Colt wheel guns go for now. Many of them sell 30 years later for multiple times more than they walked out the door NIB for. I often see one of these I had owned decades back and when I look at the price tag think DAMN, why did I not hang onto one of these :eek:

Since this happened to me a few weeks ago, I'll mention it in case anyone else is faced with the same situation. I was shooting my S&W 41 at the local range one evening; there was only one other gentleman there. We'd exchanged pleasantries earlier, and at one point he came over to ask me about my gun. Before showing it to him, I took the magazine out, handed it to him with the muzzle pointed down range, he looked it over, may have pointed it downrange--I don't remember.

In any case, the whole time I was thinking the gun was empty. But it wasn't. There was--and this is an old story--a round in the chamber. Now, the 41 has a magazine disconnect, so it wouldn't fire except in the case of some malfunction. But the bigger lesson is: I was thinking the gun was empty.

This taught me something important. When someone or something interrupts you at the range, or anywhere else where you have a gun, forget the pleasantries for a moment, and say "hold on just a second," then stop and think. What do I need to do to make this gun safe? In that situation it would have involved, removing the magazine, removing the round, and hanging the slide on the slide stop.

Noise is a big factor in developing flinch. This was probably a big factor back when most people didn't use hearing protection in practicing shooting. I am guessing that women are more sensitive to the noise than men, on average. Especially men whose hearing is already damaged by exposure to various kinds of power tools, even lawn mowers.
I start new shooters with a suppressed .22 and progress to "the pissed librarian" a suppressed colt 1903. Then we see where they stand.

One tip I should have figured out earlier was buy once cry once. NOTHING about the gun world is cheap
I know this looks and sounds good on paper but the correct number of guns is just one more. For me I didn't find out what were the right guns for me with out buying and shooting what I thought I wanted. One example of this is Thompson Contender pistols. Three or four times I've had a contender and with multiple barrels each time. They are fun, accurate and as a re loader entertaining to load for particularly the wildcats. Eventually I get bored with shooting a single shot and they get traded off for the next shiny squirrel.

Since this happened to me a few weeks ago, I'll mention it in case anyone else is faced with the same situation. I was shooting my S&W 41 at the local range one evening; there was only one other gentleman there. We'd exchanged pleasantries earlier, and at one point he came over to ask me about my gun. Before showing it to him, I took the magazine out, handed it to him with the muzzle pointed down range, he looked it over, may have pointed it downrange--I don't remember.

In any case, the whole time I was thinking the gun was empty. But it wasn't. There was--and this is an old story--a round in the chamber. Now, the 41 has a magazine disconnect, so it wouldn't fire except in the case of some malfunction. But the bigger lesson is: I was thinking the gun was empty.

This taught me something important. When someone or something interrupts you at the range, or anywhere else where you have a gun, forget the pleasantries for a moment, and say "hold on just a second," then stop and think. What do I need to do to make this gun safe? In that situation it would have involved, removing the magazine, removing the round, and hanging the slide on the slide stop.

To a certain extent this follows almost everything in life but, you have to decide what you want any tool for. Some guns run a price that is very low and will still run longer than I will live. A lot will depend on how much you are going to use it as with any tool. With many guns of the "higher end" they can really shine when years down the road you may wish to sell them if that day comes. Look at what some things like old S&W or Colt wheel guns go for now. Many of them sell 30 years later for multiple times more than they walked out the door NIB for. I often see one of these I had owned decades back and when I look at the price tag think DAMN, why did I not hang onto one of these :eek:
As the saying goes

"No sell, Only buy"

Nowadays guns are depreciating assets. I say that but maybe I'll be wrong in 30 years also haha.

I had a similar situation of thinking a gun was empty. I had handed my Ruger MKII .22 to someone who wanted to look at it and try the action. We were sitting outdoors at a picnic table under a tree. I dropped the magazine and jacked the slide to eject the round in the chamber and handed him the empty gun with the slide locked back. He inspected gun, dry fired it as invited, exclaimed over it. Then he handed it back to me with the slide closed. I was totally sure there was no round in the chamber. But I had been taught to check anytime I'm handed or pick up a gun, whether I think its loaded or not. This was a completely automatic pattern for me, as it should be. So even though I had just handed this guy an empty gun and he had no ammo, and he had just handed that gun back to me, I jacked the slide. Imagine my surprise when a round flew out! I had never given the guy the loaded mag. How did that round get in the chamber???

All I can figure is I must have picked up the ejected round and put it on the table while the guy was inspecting the gun. And he must have picked up the round and manually put it in the chamber and released the slide lock. I do recall not paying much attention to the guy.

Since then if I let a friend inspect a semiauto, I put both the mag and the ejected round in my pocket. And I watch the guy with my full attention while he is handling the gun.

...he must have picked up the round and manually put it in the chamber and released the slide lock.
This begs the obvious question, "Why would anyone do such a ludicrous and dangerous thing, and in particular not even telling you he did it?" o_Oo_Oo_O

Never buy a gun without looking down the barrel. If you buy 100 guns, and have looked down the barrels of 99, don't assume the 100th is going to be okay. The one you don't look down is going to be the bad one.

This begs the obvious question, "Why would anyone do such a ludicrous and dangerous thing, and in particular not even telling you he did it?" o_Oo_Oo_O
Yeah. Maybe his pattern when he loaded a .22 semi auto was to manually load a round into the chamber, close slide, then insert the mag. That's a pattern one might develop if shooting a CCI shot shell or .22 short, which can be fired in a 22 semiautomatic but won't cycle the slide or cycle from the mag. Or if getting the mag+1 capacity in full by adding one round manually instead of loading it from the mag and then topping off the mag.

As the saying goes

"No sell, Only buy"

Nowadays guns are depreciating assets. I say that but maybe I'll be wrong in 30 years also haha.
I would say their value, while not always monetary, is increasing by leaps and bounds. The more they try to take them away, the more valuable as trading stock or in use they become.

Speaking of value or worth...

It may be that value or worth does not mean dollar value...but what use the item has for you.
I have at times , traded a firearm that was "worth" more than the one I was getting , simply because I had a better use for the new one , than the traded one.
So...the new one's "worth" , meant more to me than just dollars.

Not the best of ideas if you are trying to trade up so to speak..or working for a retail store.
However...
It can get you something that you want , have a use for and actually use...
Rather then holding onto something that you don't use with the hopes of it being worth dollars.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany