JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's a good brand to start with, Wheeler or some of those fancy AR toolkits?
I have a CZ P10c that I want to change backstrap on and possibly put an aftermarket trigger.
Also have a lower end AR-15 that I haven't yet put any rounds through.

I wouldn't go nuts buying tools. Unless you're into doing full builds, it's likely that beyond some quality drive pins and screw drivers you would probably never need a full kit. Just buy tools as you need them otherwise you end up with drawers of tools that match your drawers of holsters.

I wouldn't go nuts buying tools.
Agreed. Buy only what you really need as the situation calls for it. For just a few jobs here or there I think you'll find a lot of stand in solutions that make it really unneccessary to fork out a lot of hard currency procuring dedicated tools.

Agreed. Buy only what you really need as the situation calls for it. For just a few jobs here or there I think you'll find a lot of stand in solutions that make it really unneccessary to fork out a lot of hard currency procuring dedicated tools.
Also keep checking the classifieds here as well as ebay.

The tools that I use the most are a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers as normal screwdrivers are shaped differently and more prone to messing up the screw heads. I have more than just two guns I work on so I went ahead and bought this Brownell's set (which is now $50 more than when I bought it): https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...orcement-handle-sku080112804-143490-1915.aspx

They have smaller sets or there are some companies that sell individual hollow ground screwdrivers, but I like the diversity of this set. The second most used tool is a soft headed mallet. I have one that has nylon and brass heads. Next comes the punches for drifting out roll pins or adjusting sights (punches can come with steel, aluminum, brass, or nylon heads; I have ones you can change) then the AR vice blocks which make certain maintenance and assembly items easier. I also have a set of mechanical calipers for checking sizes and tolerances. Way down the list is the Wheeler Fat Wrench for getting the right torque specs, but I haven't had a ton of call for that. And none of this includes cleaning items.

Out of all the tools I use, the screwdrivers have seen the most use and I'd at least get a couple of hollow ground ones and a small mallet with a couple smaller punches. Guessing all that could be tracked down for $20 to $30 dollars as long as you're not going super fancy. The screwdrivers will be the most expensive.

Good luck. No need to rush out and buy all the tools at once. Certain things are more than I care to handle and I'd rather pay the premium to a gunsmith to get it done right.

The tools that I use the most are a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers as normal screwdrivers are shaped differently and more prone to messing up the screw heads. I have more than just two guns I work on so I went ahead and bought this Brownell's set (which is now $50 more than when I bought it): https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...orcement-handle-sku080112804-143490-1915.aspx

They have smaller sets or there are some companies that sell individual hollow ground screwdrivers, but I like the diversity of this set. The second most used tool is a soft headed mallet. I have one that has nylon and brass heads. Next comes the punches for drifting out roll pins or adjusting sights (punches can come with steel, aluminum, brass, or nylon heads; I have ones you can change) then the AR vice blocks which make certain maintenance and assembly items easier. I also have a set of mechanical calipers for checking sizes and tolerances. Way down the list is the Wheeler Fat Wrench for getting the right torque specs, but I haven't had a ton of call for that. And none of this includes cleaning items.

Out of all the tools I use, the screwdrivers have seen the most use and I'd at least get a couple of hollow ground ones and a small mallet with a couple smaller punches. Guessing all that could be tracked down for $20 to $30 dollars as long as you're not going super fancy. The screwdrivers will be the most expensive.

Good luck. No need to rush out and buy all the tools at once. Certain things are more than I care to handle and I'd rather pay the premium to a gunsmith to get it done right.
AGREE. hollow ground screwdrivers are a must have, it will cost you more to fix those heads than the new screwdrivers. also a small jewelers/gunsmith punch and hammer. there is one on amazon that also has a roll pin pusher included that is helpful. under 30.00 may not be the best kit but that lil roll pin tool is like 30.00 from wheeler alone, it gets the job done. has a few other useful AR bolt catch punches as well

AGREE. hollow ground screwdrivers are a must have, it will cost you more to fix those heads than the new screwdrivers. also a small jewelers/gunsmith punch and hammer. there is one on amazon that also has a roll pin pusher included that is helpful. under 30.00 may not be the best kit but that lil roll pin tool is like 30.00 from wheeler alone, it gets the job done. has a few other useful AR bolt catch punches as well
Looks like ChiCom garbage to me.

Do as you will, but I only buy good tools I can rely on, no room in my tool box for BS I know is going break.

I got my punch sets from Tekton because they're made in the USA. I'm very happy with them.

I was surprised when I found out Tekton punches were made in the USA, most of their stuff is made in Taiwan. I bought Starrett in part because I knew they were in this country.

With regards to tools in general, there are some basic tools that everyone should have...like a set of screwdrivers, hammer, saw, basic wrench/socket set, etc. These obviously aren't necessarily gun related.

But for the more specialty stuff, my general philosophy is to wait until I need something. And then I try to buy something of quality that will perform and last. I HATE cheap bubblegum Chinese tools. But even they have their place. If it's something of such a specialized nature that I'll probably never use again, then a cheap version of it may be justified. And/or I will try to borrow it from a buddy first.

If you're just starting out and don't have a specific tool need yet, I would put your money into a quality carbon fiber cleaning rod or two (pistol and rifle), and a good base set of cleaning supplies. Cleaning supplies are obviously consumables. But a good cleaning rod will last a good long time if you take care of it. Probably a lifetime.

Also, if you think this will be a lifelong hobby, you will collect a fair amount of "stuff" along the way. This includes, tools, cleaning supplies, etc. Years ago I had a small Craftsman tool chest that wasn't being used and so I made it my dedicated gun chest. It's pretty similar to the one in the picture below except mine has 4 drawers and is just a smidge bigger. But it's one of the best things I ever did...have dedicated place to keep all my gun stuff. And I also use an ammo can to hold all the solvents, oils, etc. YMMV.

61yRQDddOxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

With regards to tools in general, there are some basic tools that everyone should have...like a set of screwdrivers, hammer, saw, basic wrench/socket set, etc. These obviously aren't necessarily gun related.

But for the more specialty stuff, my general philosophy is to wait until I need something. And then I try to buy something of quality that will perform and last. I HATE cheap bubblegum Chinese tools. But even they have their place. If it's something of such a specialized nature that I'll probably never use again, then a cheap version of it may be justified. And/or I will try to borrow it from a buddy first.

If you're just starting out and don't have a specific tool need yet, I would put your money into a quality carbon fiber cleaning rod or two (pistol and rifle), and a good base set of cleaning supplies. Cleaning supplies are obviously consumables. But a good cleaning rod will last a good long time if you take care of it. Probably a lifetime.

Also, if you think this will be a lifelong hobby, you will collect a fair amount of "stuff" along the way. This includes, tools, cleaning supplies, etc. Years ago I had a small Craftsman tool chest that wasn't being used and so I made it my dedicated gun chest. It's pretty similar to the one in the picture below except mine has 4 drawers and is just a smidge bigger. But it's one of the best things I ever did...have dedicated place to keep all my gun stuff. And I also use an ammo can to hold all the solvents, oils, etc. YMMV.

View attachment 1236846
I have a large plastic toolbox that I put in the trunk when I go shooting. The toolbox has most of the tools from my gun workbench. I also bring a small cleaning kit and a multitool that goes with me while the big kit stays in the car.

Probably your first purchase should be a basic book on home gunsmithing. Know what you're doing and why before you take things apart. You don't need many specialized tools to maintain guns. I like Brownells and Midway for quality equipment. Don't Bubba your guns with a Dremel!

If I only had one or two guns I would buy only the tools I need . They make screwdriver sets that are sized for individual guns. The same with punch sets they make one just for AR series. That and a good non marring hammer is a good start.
I have at least three sets of screw drivers, and still find some that I have to grind my own to get a good fit. I use a cross vise to grind my own . DR

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top