JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It won't be an issue until you're subpoenaed to court after you reported your unsecure gun stolen and it was used in the commission of a crime or your kid got hold of it and accidently discharged it or worse.
I don't think that's how it works. If it was stolen from you via breakin, and you report at the earliest possible moment you become aware, you're then not negligent. Trigger locks are portable and breakable (and of course you had that flimsy cable on it) and homes where all inhabitants are authorized to use a firearm don't require locks/storage, so not negligent if stolen and reported.

I don't think that's how it works. If it was stolen from you via breakin, and you report at the earliest possible moment you become aware, you're then not negligent. Trigger locks are portable and breakable (and of course you had that flimsy cable on it) and homes where all inhabitants are authorized to use a firearm don't require locks/storage, so not negligent if stolen and reported.
Please go back and note the part where I typed "unsecure gun"

A LOT of gun owners get in a "bind" because they can NOT keep their mouth shut. They shoot someone and instead of speaking with lawyer start yammering on to Police. So if their gun gets stolen and they feel they "need" to go in and say "I left it laying in the yard and someone found it," well I guess they feel they have to do that.

If no kids in house and your wife / husband/ partner is authorized to use it, a locked door should still be enough to be secured. I haven't parsed the statute today, but based on the quoted article's analysis that would seem to comply, IF gun stolen by a stranger (rather than a guest).

A LOT of gun owners get in a "bind" because they can NOT keep their mouth shut. They shoot someone and instead of speaking with lawyer start yammering on to Police. So if their gun gets stolen and they feel they "need" to go in and say "I left it laying in the yard and someone found it," well I guess they feel they have to do that.
That's stupid behavior. If you're ever going to talk to the police about anything you might have criminal liability for, beyond a violation, call a lawyer first. Spend the $250 to $300 for an hour of time and tell him or her the facts about and get a plan for how to discuss it.

That said, if you clearly didn't break the law, in this case you've complied with the statute by having a lock, locked box, etc. it makes sense to report a theft ASAP to avoid liability.

Last Edited:
_nc_ohc=s833F2bqGXgAX9yOnmj&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Hypothetically if you had an unlocked pistol in a backpack, in the cab of your unoccupied vehicle, would that be a violation of the lock up law?
You mean a locked vehicle? How is the law in that state worded? Assuming it just says the gun has to be "secured", a locked vehicle is secured. Unless there is some wording in the law about gun locks? A lot probably depends on who you are. No doubt some will blatantly break the law and nothing will happen because of "who they know" :(

But hey. You can legally shoot up heroin and smoke crack at the bus stop.
So obviously the dems laws are here to protect and keep the people safe.

You mean a locked vehicle? How is the law in that state worded? Assuming it just says the gun has to be "secured", a locked vehicle is secured. Unless there is some wording in the law about gun locks? A lot probably depends on who you are. No doubt some will blatantly break the law and nothing will happen because of "who they know" :(
Hypothetically it was locked and they used a slim jim to open it and then locked it after they were done.

Hypothetically it was locked and they used a slim jim to open it and then locked it after they were done.
A lot of the gun lockers like stackon use a radial lock that can be opened with a plastic pen body and a lighter - soften the end with a lighter, jam it in, let it cool and twist. I use mine for ammo storage now and boom sticks live in a safe. This would IMO be similar to the locked in car scenario.

Saw this in the local paper.

Here's what to know about the new law:

• A firearm is not considered secured if a key or combination to the trigger, cable lock or the container is readily available to a person the owner or possessor has not authorized to carry or control the firearm or a handgun is left unattended in a vehicle and is within view of people outside the vehicle.
  • The safe storage requirement doesn't apply if a gun owner is either alone in their home or with other people allowed to use the gun.
  • Violations of the law are civil infractions, but the penalties increase if a minor gets access to an unsecured firearm as a result of the violation.
  • If an owner violates the safe storage law and, as a result, the firearm is used to injure a person or property within two years of the violation, the injured party may bring a civil lawsuit against the owner and the court must find that the owner or possessor was negligent.
  • If a person transfers a firearm and a criminal background check is required prior to the transfer, the person is also required to transfer the firearm with a trigger lock or in a locked container.
  • A gun dealer must post in a prominent location a notice, in block letters not less than one inch in height, that states, "The purchaser of a firearm has an obligation to store firearms in a safe manner and to prevent unsupervised access to a firearm by a minor. If a minor or unauthorized person obtains access to a firearm and the owner failed to store the firearm in a safe manner, the owner may be in violation of the law."
  • Failing to secure a firearm would result in a maximum fine of $500.
  • That fine increases to $2,000 if a minor accesses an unsecured firearm.
F em! I will continue to safely use and store guns like I always have and will be completely ignoring this BS law.

They can kiss my A$$!

...That trigger lock thing at time of sale is just stupid silly. I had a pawn shop in Washington try to have me go through that nonsense a few years ago. In a polite manner I lifted up my shirt at my hip to display my Glock in an informative manner and said, "does it make any sense for me to put a lock on the one I am buying when the one loaded on my hip that I am already carrying around doesn't require one?"

They couldn't argue with that logic.
Tigard pawn uses that to scam you out of money and have done so for years. They say we can't let any leave without a lock and have locks ready to sell to you. Also they charge you $2 to make a photocopy of your drivers license (it may be even higher now I don't know).

Hypothetically if you had an unlocked pistol in a backpack, in the cab of your unoccupied vehicle, would that be a violation of the lock up law?
The answer is - YES.

Handguns, if left in an unoccupied vehicle, MUST be both locked (trigger lock, cable lock, lock box) AND not visible. Long guns do NOT have to be out of sight - but hand guns do.

See section 3,b,B below from SB554:

SECTION 3. (1)(a) An owner or possessor of a firearm shall, at all times that the firearm is not carried by or under the control of the owner, possessor or authorized person, secure the firearm:
(A) With an engaged trigger or cable lock;
(B) In a locked container; or
(C) In a gun room.
(b) For purposes of paragraph (a) of this subsection, a firearm is not secured if:
(A) A key or combination to the trigger or cable lock or the container is readily available to a person the owner or possessor has not authorized to carry or control the firearm.
(B) The firearm is a handgun, is left unattended in a vehicle and is within view of persons outside the vehicle.
(2)(a) A violation of subsection (1) of this section is a Class C violation.

Tigard pawn uses that to scam you out of money and have done so for years. They say we can't let any leave without a lock and have locks ready to sell to you. Also they charge you $2 to make a photocopy of your drivers license (it may be even higher now I don't know).
I understand the photocopy just from the standpoint of costs / they could just work it into their transfer fee though. The lock is just attempted coercion. A retailer can't force someone to buy something. They are just hoping people are willing to get corralled and not call BS.

If no kids in house and your wife / husband/ partner is authorized to use it, a locked door should still be enough to be secured. I haven't parsed the statute today, but based on the quoted article's analysis that would seem to comply, IF gun stolen by a stranger (rather than a guest).
Your understanding is the same as mine after I analyzed the law. In fact, as long as I am in "control" of the firearm, I don't have to have my house locked (because as long as I am around, my residence is secure).

But, if there are people "unauthorized" to be in control of my firearm in my house (guests) and I am NOT close enough to the firearm to prevent them from getting access, then it needs to be locked up.

Review part of SB 554, Section 2, below:

SECTION 2. As used in sections 2 to 6 of this 2021 Act:
(1) "Authorized person" means a person authorized by the owner or possessor of a firearm to temporarily carry or control the firearm while in the presence of the owner or possessor.
(2) "Container" means a box, case, chest, locker, safe or other similar receptacle, in- cluding, within a vehicle, a glove compartment, enclosed trunk or center console, equipped with a tamper-resistant lock.
(3) "Control" means, in relation to a firearm:
(a) That the owner or possessor of the firearm is close enough to the firearm to prevent another person who is not an authorized person from obtaining the firearm; or
(b) That the owner or possessor of the firearm is in the person's own residence, either alone or with only authorized persons who also live in the residence and who are not minors, and the residence is secure.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top