JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's get a couple of things straight from the get-go: I hunt. I kill stuff. A lot. I also support a person's right to do whatever with his property, within legal bounds. I have no plans to discuss it with my new neighbor, I just need to vent a bit.

I live in the Coburg Hills north of Eugene. It's a five-acre minimum area and most folks have more than five acres. We live on a loop, so officially it's a dead end road. Quiet, peaceful, remote yet close to town.

Lots of wildlife. Turkeys, deer, squirrels, birds, you name it. With fairly close interaction the wildlife gets used to people. Really used to people. Given enough time and no loud noises or sudden moves, the deer might just eat out of your hand.

54945B7C-348A-4FCE-942E-330DD5869020.jpeg

So the issue is my new neighbor. We share a property line to my north. He enjoys bowhunting but he's shooting the pets. I know, some of you are thinking quit treating them like pets and they won't act like pets. This is inaccurate. Backyard deer act like backyard deer.

082D798E-7B21-4B83-AAFF-E1EB850C212B.jpeg

45EB1CB1-05BE-463A-9264-A5773804B915.jpeg

They were here first.

F6703B6F-4C10-4CA7-B5F9-508B5E5F41F6.jpeg

4B6DA088-537B-4497-906E-303512ED77B0.jpeg

54945B7C-348A-4FCE-942E-330DD5869020.jpeg

He cut a big swath through the puckerbrush to create a shooting lane and hung a tree stand on the edge of it. Elmer Fudd never had it so good.

Like I said, I'm not going to discuss it with him. His wife grew up in this community so she knows, so he knows. Plus, he has to see deer all off-season, so it's not like the deer suddenly show up. But really, who gets off on shooting pets?

P 9D875FF6-472F-49B5-93CA-95CC835E3FDC.jpeg

Yeah. Kind of a dick move if he is doing it for a trophy. Can't fault him if it's legal and he is just putting meat in the freezer. His license and tag fees pay for the conservation of those animals and allow him to take one. I shot my elk this year in a farmers field as part of a damage control hunt. No pictures, no bragging. It wasn't hunting. It was a harvest. In a sense it's not much different than butchering a cow.

Let's get a couple of things straight from the get-go: I hunt. I kill stuff. A lot. I also support a person's right to do whatever with his property, within legal bounds. I have no plans to discuss it with my new neighbor, I just need to vent a bit.

I live in the Coburg Hills north of Eugene. It's a five-acre minimum area and most folks have more than five acres. We live on a loop, so officially it's a dead end road. Quiet, peaceful, remote yet close to town.

Lots of wildlife. Turkeys, deer, squirrels, birds, you name it. With fairly close interaction the wildlife gets used to people. Really used to people. Given enough time and no loud noises or sudden moves, the deer might just eat out of your hand.

View attachment 842483

So the issue is my new neighbor. We share a property line to my north. He enjoys bowhunting but he's shooting the pets. I know, some of you are thinking quit treating them like pets and they won't act like pets. This is inaccurate. Backyard deer act like backyard deer.

View attachment 842478

View attachment 842479

They were here first.

View attachment 842480

View attachment 842482

View attachment 842483

He cut a big swath through the puckerbrush to create a shooting lane and hung a tree stand on the edge of it. Elmer Fudd never had it so good.

Like I said, I'm not going to discuss it with him. His wife grew up in this community so she knows, so he knows. Plus, he has to see deer all off-season, so it's not like the deer suddenly show up. But really, who gets off on shooting pets?

P View attachment 842481
Is he hunting legally or poaching?

If he's following all laws and regs, I can't see what the issue is. I don't see how it's morally superior to spend a bunch of gas and time scouting and have to fight over public land hunting areas, when the goal is to put meat in the freezer.

Plus it sounds like it's a healthy deer population that probably doesn't have alot of natural predators, so I think it's better to harvest some than have them hit by cars.

I don't deer hunt much anymore because I'm the only one in the house that likes venison, but I'd have no issue putting up a feeder in the back field and popping one off my back deck.

Is this guy shooting onto your land?
Is he shooting deer off season?

Your neighbor could be a Richard.

Off-season bow shot deer showed up at my McKenzie property a couple years ago.
Died in the Rhody bushes in front of the house. State guys hauled it away.
Deer act like semi pets wandering through the yards in the community of Leaburg.
One of my neighbors shot the beast in his or his neighbors yard.
Seems sort of classless.

Disclaimer - I like venison chili as much as the next guy.

Last Edited:
Personally I do not any longer hunt. I VERY much support those who do it LEGALLY! The money they pay is what supports the people who keep the sport alive. Just because I got "old" and can't bring myself to kill, I did not stop eating meat. To me PETA is still People Eating Tasty Animals.
Now if he is poaching? I would have no problem with him losing his home, land, car's, and going to jail. If he is hunting these animals who have become "semi tame" with the proper tags, at the proper time? fine with me. Deer are not "smart" animals. Allow enough to them to have it too easy they readily become a nuisance animal. Are they "cute"? Hell yes. So are many of the animals I like to eat every day.
If I lived there I would not want to witness it but, if the guy was offering some of the meat? I would be having venison for dinner :D

Hunting legally. I take that back. He's not hunting. He's shooting tame deer.

I think it's disgusting but that's just me.
It is harvesting then. I have to assume the meat is consumed? He is not killing them just to kill? If so it is what it is. The animals we all buy (assuming we eat meat) that are in nice looking packages in the store were tame too. Sill taste great. I do not want to watch them killed, have to hope it's done humanly but, I am not willing to start eating Tofu just yet :s0092:

Bet he tells his buddies at work how great a hunter he is. Might even bring them over to grocery shop. I have no respect for people like that and if he's a landowner, the "I have to kill it so my kids can eat" line is garbage and everyone who uses it knows that. Go buy potatoes for 20¢/lb of you're that desperate. It's unsporting and unimpressive.

I lived on land once where the opportunity to shoot deer was the same as OP but I never took it because I like the sport. Meat tastes that much better when earned, yes EARNED not "harvested."

Lastly, if it really is 100% legal what he's doing, he can do it but I have my doubts he isn't "forgetting" to tag some of them.

Legally harvesting a game animal, in season, following all the regs vs artificially teaching wild animals to not fear humans because your kids think they're cute. What's worse? I have my opinion.

I have not hunted in so long have no idea what tags run now days. How much are they in OR? Assuming he is buying a tag for each animal I have to "guess" the cost of the tag is worth the amount of meat and the hide he gets from each one?

I have not hunted in so long have no idea what tags run now days. How much are they in OR? Assuming he is buying a tag for each animal I have to "guess" the cost of the tag is worth the amount of meat and the hide he gets from each one?
I pay something like $30/tag I think. Maybe a little more, a little less but around there.

I get the emotion here and would probably feel the same way..

BUT. Pets are pets. Wild animals are wild animals.

I have been dying to move into the woods, or on some land. And best believe I will be hunting on my own land if possible.

That is the whole point of moving into a more rural area. To live a life not dependent on your next govt check to join the soup line.

Even the animals you hunt maybe be in someone else's backyard, or some hippies hiking spot.

I think until the legal/poaching q is answered it's hard to say much on this. If you contact ODFW they should be able to tell u if hunting is legal there at this (that?) time and what method, etc.

They do occasionally offer rewards for poachers so if a reward were active in that area and your neighbor was aware of the reward, my guess is there would be no more poaching (assuming it is poaching). Or even if no reward, if the neighbor knew there was a reported poaching problem in the area he might stop.

If it's legal hunting then that is a whole different deal of course and becomes a neighbor-to-neighbor/community acceptance thing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top