JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think until the legal/poaching q is answered it's hard to say much on this. If you contact ODFW they should be able to tell u if hunting is legal there at this (that?) time and what method, etc.

They do occasionally offer rewards for poachers so if a reward were active in that area and your neighbor was aware of the reward, my guess is there would be no more poaching (assuming it is poaching). Or even if no reward, if the neighbor knew there was a reported poaching problem in the area he might stop.

If it's legal hunting then that is a whole different deal of course and becomes a neighbor-to-neighbor/community acceptance thing.

Totally agree with this. If dude is poaching he needs to be put down.
I hate poachers.

I really can't stand there aren't stiffer penalties for poachers. They should do jail time.

Apparently some of you can't read too well. He's killing legally, as I previously stated.

And the whole "harvesting" terminology is horsepucky. I've never "harvested" a deer but I've killed a ton of them. Killed killed killed. Not afraid to say it because that's what it is.

He's legally killing deer that trot up to you for a handout. Bread is always popular but sliced apples is better for them. I'm sure he's eating them, but that's gross too.

Well, I for one find this disgusting! Hunting and killing animals is morally disgusting and cruel! There is no need to harm helpless animals for the pleasure of seeing them die for "sport"! I for one would never kill one of nature's most beautiful animals!

Of course at the old homestead at least once, and usually two or three times a week, I would hear SSCCRREACH! BAM! I would go out and see which way the deer ran and would wait a bit and follow. At the end of this, I would often find some organically raised/fed, free-range, pre-tenderized wild game (what we used to call a "deer").

Now to keep that valuable commodity from going to waste (being eaten by someone else for example) I would bring it home (sounds better than dragged it back) to process it (used to be butchered it, but what with the PC crowd and all...) and turned it into chops, steaks, roasts and other things that the PC crowd would think came from the supermarket where things call "steaks" live until they are brought home to be cooked, If the "steaks" are not being harvested by the steak pickers, then animals like hot dogs and roasts, but also bratwurst or hamburger is OK, as long as no animals are harmed.

If he is hunting legally then it's a neighbor/community issue. You, or you and the neighbors, are going to have to talk to him or get together with all the neighboring properties to make high deer fences if that would exclude them from his property.

I'm pretty sure there pets to you but food for him. If you want to feed something get a dog. Wild animals shouldn't be fed. I'd say if he's not breaking any laws your probably more in the wrong for feeding wild deer. Feeding them bread can really mess with there stomach and digestive system.

Well, I for one find this disgusting! Hunting and killing animals is morally disgusting and cruel! There is no need to harm helpless animals for the pleasure of seeing them die for "sport"! I for one would never kill one of nature's most beautiful animals!

Of course at the old homestead at least once, and usually two or three times a week, I would hear SSCCRREACH! BAM! I would go out and see which way the deer ran and would wait a bit and follow. At the end of this, I would often find some organically raised/fed, free-range, pre-tenderized wild game (what we used to call a "deer").

Now to keep that valuable commodity from going to waste (being eaten by someone else for example) I would bring it home (sounds better than dragged it back) to process it (used to be butchered it, but what with the PC crowd and all...) and turned it into chops, steaks, roasts and other things that the PC crowd would think came from the supermarket where things call "steaks" live until they are brought home to be cooked, If the "steaks" are not being harvested by the steak pickers, then animals like hot dogs and roasts, but also bratwurst or hamburger is OK, as long as no animals are harmed.

I fairly regularly see the damn things hit on SR16 here. Its a great example of the "problem" with the damn things when they populate and have no natural or hunter controls. They become a pest and dangerous even. I have had "close calls" many a time out here. While back one morning I hear a call to Police, deer running around on 16. Said State Game people were called. Hour later I am driving home and there is some poor guy in a little car, front and windshield done in, deer dead in road along with his car. I thought well the Fish and Game guy can find it easy now :s0140:
Of course the guy who was trying to go to work was not laughing.
Co worker hit one years back on his Bike. Stun'd the deer but it got up and ran. Guy who hit it managed to not go down but, it did several K damage to the bike. People feed them all over here and they are fun as hell to watch. Not fun when they get hit on the highway o_O
I did used to get a kick out of them at the one big park in the city. My 10# dog would go berserk wanting to go after an animal that was 10 times his size and weight. :s0140:

Deer are very adaptable and can thrive in many urban areas or as in the OP's case...backyards.

Without talking with the deer shooter , there ain't much that can be done.
With that said...
I understand that there are some folks who just ain't worth the effort to talk to , for whatever reason.

In my experience feeding wild animals , either intentionally or simply by having landscaping that is on their menu , can lead to trouble for both the animals and people involved.
Andy

So do you go to the wild to get all your groceries?

Do you drive in to deer/elk camp every year or do you hike for 20 miles?

I ask because someone, somewhere finds your behavior as repugnant as you might find his.

Ive advertised/invited for new hunters to come to my property and shoot all the cloven hoven backyard pets they want. (If you're in my area, a newbie and wanna stab one, lmk)

I'm also quite sure that some of my neighbors have them named too. But there is no shortage of those oversized rodents.

BTW I love that area of Eugene, my cousin recently retired from that school district.

I'd discuss it with him anyway. You may both just agree to disagree, but it's not just you he might wanna think about. You might be the voice he actually listens to.

Or even just say, "you know, only Fudds hunt suburban deer from their backyard tree stands."

If I had 5+ acres with deer, elk, turkey, etc... my freezer would be full. Sounds like your neighbor is living his dream, and I don't fault him one bit.
Another option would be to quit leaving piles of feed out for the wildlife, this way they act like wildlife, not pets.
If I had 5 acres I'd have some pigs.

lol

I agree that it's got to be punch in the gut for you. I'd be pissed too. Not saying a thing to the neighbor is the right thing to do, IMO. I'll come at it like this. Say you bought property on a nice river, the river has salmon. But your neighbor upstream is heavily invested in the whole life cycle of anadromous fish. See where I'm going?

I agree that it's got to be punch in the gut for you. I'd be pissed too. Not saying a thing to the neighbor is the right thing to do, IMO. I'll come at it like this. Say you bought property on a nice river, the river has salmon. But your neighbor upstream is heavily invested in the whole life cycle of anadromous fish. See where I'm going?

No clue.

He's saying one man's petting zoo is another man's grocery store. He's got a point. I still have no idea if the guy thinks he's hunting or shopping. If he really thinks he's hunting that's sad at best. If he's filling his freezer and not breaking any laws, I wouldn't think you're in a position to complain.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top