JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to be visiting Ore this fall. My CCW is not good in Ore. Are there ways to get a Non resident permit before visiting? I will be visiting southern Ore centered around Medford. I do know I could open carry[ at least in my truck. ] I am curious about open carry. If I'm wearing an OWB holster and part of my jacket covers the gun , Would this be a problem? If my loaded and holstered handgun was in plain sight on the seat of my truck would the holster be considered as concealment?

I know these may sound simple but open carry is new to me. Thanks DR

Wow. Touchy subject. Check out OFF website. There is a lot of good info about Oregon's CHL and open carry laws there. In short, it'll be VERY difficult for an out of state resident to get a CHL. Without a CHL, open carry is subject to the laws of every municipality and county you would be traveling through. Open carry laws vary widely throughout the state. I recommend you do your research before you travel.

Wow. Touchy subject. Check out OFF website. There is a lot of good info about Oregon's CHL and open carry laws there. In short, it'll be VERY difficult for an out of state resident to get a CHL. Without a CHL, open carry is subject to the laws of every municipality and county you would be traveling through. Open carry laws vary widely throughout the state. I recommend you do your research before you travel.

Yes I would prefer a Non Res permit, But I'm not sure of the timing! I did read through OFF's site but did not find what I needed either.
I'm not so much wanting to open carry , But to have it loaded driving and at highway stops, gas stations, truck stops, and convenience stores, etc... All places where Sketchy people seem to collect. When traveling to new towns you don't know the bad from the good side of town or that there may be a better location just up the road.

We are also going to be looking at property, Driving around looking seems to bring out the worst in some people! DR

From what I've read, Oregon will only issue non-resident permits to folks that live in border states: CA, WA, ID, NV - I can't find any info that says they'll issue to anyone outside of those states. And, as far as I know, you have to apply in person, you can't do it online or in the mail. Beyond that, you're looking at a 45-60 day waiting period. Unfortunately when it comes to CHL's, Oregon is pretty crappy/restrictive - no reciprocity with any others state. Your best bet is going to be open carrying where you can lawfully do so. The good news is you're heading to southern Oregon where things are not nearly as restrictive as they are up toward Portland.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Open carry is fairly well accepted in So. OR as long you stay away from Ashland where the liberal who have cow with such behavior. Sundays after church I usually remove my suit jacket and my pistol is visible (IWB carry) I've never had a problem with any store or restaurant I've been to. I've seen a few other peeps open carry around the valley as well. Good luck and hopefully the skies will be clear and not full of smoke when you visit.

Techieguy, I'm glad to hear that church carry is not an issue there either!

I used to take pictures for real estate listings and you would be surprised at how that brings out the worst in Tweekers!
If open carry in a vehicle is OK I can make that work. I don't see any reason to be open carrying in malls or walking on the street. Thanks DR

Why should anyone who owns a firearm.........oppose.......a 50 States Lic? Just like with a driver's lic. Just like with the retired Police Officers federal legislation. Google: "Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act" OK, Ok, ok....even that wasn't perfect (as I see it).

Then, eventually/hopefully.......NO PERMITS AT ALL.

POLITICIANS.......are you listening?

Aloha,Mak

Last Edited:
Yup (Fed/State/County/City/Township/Etc. Laws, when done stupidly, remain "stupid")......

And, I am often surprised to see how many people say they are for the 2nd Amendment and yet they still think it's a good idea for the Govt to regulate such a RIGHT. Even to the point of universal background checks and fees.

I wonder how well it would go over......if the Govt said it was OK to regulate, "Freedom of Religion." Humm....perhaps, we need a background check and fees.....before someone is allowed to attend a church? After all, there are certain religious teachings (even violent teachings) that are are hateful to others, yet hide behind the protections of "Freedom of Religion."

Then.....how about an expansion? To the printed newspapers or books?

For some of the LEFT.....they already consider violence and damage to property (to whatever they don't believe in)......to be acceptable behavior.

And note where the Main Stream Media stands on these controversies. Condemnation or acceptance?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top