JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is the biological viewpoint and doesn't touch on the psychological side.

More commonly referred to as nature or nurture.
Actually, when we talk about tomboys or gay people or women with more masculine personalities or men with more feminine personalities that's psychology. So my discussion was about equally anatomical and psychological.

As for "nature vs nurture" everything is both to some extent. The issue is to what extent. And in what circumstances. If you starve a young boy nearly to death he is likely to lie passively rather than run around actively doing competitive games and other "masculine" behaviors.

People used to make a big fuss about whether gayness in males was nature or nurture. For a few decades geneticists were announcing one or more genes "associated with" homosexuality every year but none ever got confirmed by subsequent studies. However few if any genes are known to have obvious effects on any behaviors. Behaviors are apparently too complicated and multigenic for that.

Frankly, the "nature vs nurture" question is only discussed by non biologists these days. Biologists rarely discuss that any more because we already know the answer. Whatever the trait, it is influenced by a complex mix of both genes in the infant and its environment. And other complexities. Such as inherited environments. Stress from poverty can cause personality changes and poverty tends to be inherited. Such as epigenetic changes in the mothers DNA caused by the mothers environment or even the environments of her mother. For example, A baby can inherit from its mother DNA modification patterns that change the baby's way of metabolizing and storing sugars. And the DNA modification patterns came about in the baby's grandmother, who experienced a famine. The famine didn't change the grandmother's genes but it did change the methylation patterns, and it turns out those patterns are inheritable, at least for three generations. So you can "inherit" in certain ways the environment of your grandmother, including the horrible famine she experienced in WW II. And if you think that's bad, the male and female parents put their own modifications on the genes they pass on to the baby. And the fathers contributions tend to make the baby grow faster so the baby is bigger and stronger. but the mothers aim for a slower rate of growth so she is less damaged in birthing, it is assumed.

WARNING: This thread is in danger of completely deviating from the bubblegume flinging monkey humor for which we are famous and turning into a legitimate conversation.

If you didn't sit in the back row shooting spitwads every time the teacher turned away in school you should think carefully about rewording your response to a more juvenile level.

Do77ByHUwAEHYCK.jpg

WARNING: This thread is in danger of completely deviating from the bubblegume flinging monkey humor for which we are famous and turning into a legitimate conversation.

If you didn't sit in the back row shooting spitwads every time the teacher turned away in school you should think carefully about rewording your response to a more juvenile level.
Hmm...

SM2l.gif

For example, A baby can inherit from its mother DNA modification patterns that change the baby's way of metabolizing and storing sugars. And the DNA modification patterns came about in the baby's grandmother, who experienced a famine. The famine didn't change the grandmother's genes but it did change the methylation patterns, and it turns out those patterns are inheritable, at least for three generations.
By what mechanism are the methylation patterns passed to offspring?

(Sorry for not keeping with the spirit of the thread. I will offer some supplemental POOP BUTT POO FACE FART BUGGERY PEENIS WANG HITLER BOOB words)

By what mechanism are the methylation patterns passed to offspring?

(Sorry for not keeping with the spirit of the thread. I will offer some supplemental POOP BUTT POO FACE FART BUGGERY PEENIS WANG HITLER BOOB words)
Thanks for keeping it balanced! My IQ swung double digits in both directions for a net gain of 0.5

...(Sorry for not keeping with the spirit of the thread. I will offer some supplemental POOP BUTT POO FACE FART BUGGERY PEENIS WANG HITLER BOOB words)
That reminds me. I just discovered there are some "informal" words the British sang to the Colonel Bogey March back during WWII. --

Hitler...has only got one ball.
Goering...has two but very small.
Himmler...has something similar.
And old Joe Goebbels has no balls at all.

Try the YouTube version by HM Royal Marine Band. It starts at about 1:08. The most cheerful march ever. And we get to repeat the irreverent verses several times. And the names can be changed to fit any enemy.

Jimmy went Hard Left when Trump won the elections, and has gone way off the rails sense!
Worse than that, IMO he's pandering to an audience segment to make more money while he plays the victim card and never faces criticism. He's a coward that likes to talk tough among other things. If he thought he could make more money pleasing the right he would switch in a second.

Worse than that, IMO he's pandering to an audience segment to make more money while he plays the victim card and never faces criticism. He's a coward that likes to talk tough among other things. If he thought he could make more money pleasing the right he would switch in a second.
I like how his current audience conveniently forgets how raucous and chauvinistic The Man Show was. Every single episode had a skit called Girls Jumping On Trampolines, which consisted solely of scantily clad girls - you guessed it - jumping on trampolines. Several regulars on the show were young girls who played bit parts, usually in short skirts, and were called The Juggies. If you think you know why they were called that, you do. :)

I'm not complaining about any of this - I watched the show regularly - I'm just saying they guy is a total sell out and his audience are idiots. So nothing much has changed. :D

Interesting trivia: Michell Malkin, conservative author and major hottie, appeared on one episode in a bikini. And she looked fantastic.

I like how his current audience conveniently forgets how raucous and chauvinistic The Man Show was. Every single episode had a skit called Girls Jumping On Trampolines, which consisted solely of scantily clad girls - you guessed it - jumping on trampolines. Several regulars on the show were young girls who played bit parts, usually in short skirts, and were called The Juggies. If you think you know why they were called that, you do. :)

I'm not complaining about any of this - I watched the show regularly - I'm just saying they guy is a total sell out and his audience are idiots. So nothing much has changed. :D

Interesting trivia: Michell Malkin, conservative author and major hottie, appeared on one episode in a bikini. And she looked fantastic.
nerd.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR