JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heard about this site through a Sportsman Warehouse Associate.

As a lifelong anti-gun person, a recent episode of violence that erupted out-of-nowhere gave me an insight about chaos. I was unexpectedly assaulted by someone with a metal bat. Even though this particular incident would most likely not be defensible with lethal force, the CHL class I took in response was informative and cleared up many gun myths that I had.
I also found a new found respect for the police and the danger they face on the daily.
In addition, I've also discovered a fresh perspective on gun-ownership.
While I still believe the government has a role in creating sound policy and regulation around firearms as per the "well-regulated militia" preamble to the 2A, I'm no longer in the "all guns are bad" camp.

Good to be here and looking forward to gaining insight from those sharing with much more experience in this domain.
Welcome to the forum.
I am just curious, what was it about an assault with a bat that would not be defensible? someone assaulting me with a bat would certainly be trying to inflict great bodily harm.
I'm not in Ore. so do you have a duty to retreat?
There was just a guy reported yesterday that was beaten to death with a traffic cone.
If you don't mind sharing, what happened? Thanks DR

How ya doin?

Reaction GIF

Welcome to the forum.
I am just curious, what was it about an assault with a bat that would not be defensible? someone assaulting me with a bat would certainly be trying to inflict great bodily harm.
I'm not in Ore. so do you have a duty to retreat?
There was just a guy reported yesterday that was beaten to death with a traffic cone.
If you don't mind sharing, what happened? Thanks DR
I had a similar understanding. He did swing at my head which I blocked with my arm.
Basically, my neighbor (estranged over a disputed fence line with trees growing over it, releasing natural product), threw roadkill into my yard. When I asked him about it, a verbal altercation resulted with him then grabbing a bat and swinging at me. What The DA said was as an alleged aggravated assault on the alleged perp's property with no witnesses or recording; it's just my word against theirs and not easily prosecutable. X-ray's didn't reveal any broken bones so there was no "hard" evidence.
Disputes with neighbors are more in the civil arena not criminal. Even though I've had a 20yr's of documented harassment from them not understanding Tree Law, I was not able to get a temporary protection order against them upgraded to permanent due to lack of "threat". In court, when questioned about dead animals used as "threat", and the subsequent bat attack, even though morally it would seem common sense, the fact that they did not communicate a "direct threat against my safety" eg. "If you don't trim your trees, then you are gonna be like this animal by my hands", then "threat" can be interpreted as what was happening in the moment. I have recordings of him with long tirades of profanity thrown at me but there were no direct "threats" in them.
In was a learning moment for me to understand that our courts are adversarial based venues, Judges are referees and language is very specific even though it can be interpreted differently by the adversaries.
Even though I lost that case as well as lack of traction on opening a criminal one, my last avenue is a civil suit, which the previous losses have built a foundation for.

Last Edited:
I have a better understanding now. The courts did not say it was not defensible, just that at your court hearing they could not determine if you were in fact assaulted.
Not that I'm suggesting this but, Had you shot him the evidence would have been dead guy holding bat, with a neighbor claiming he had been assaulted, and had to protect himself.
I point that out because, people that will swing a bat at you, will try it again. And having things go his way in court will embolden him even more.
Good Luck, and look into video cameras. DR

I have a better understanding now. The courts did not say it was not defensible, just that at your court hearing they could not determine if you were in fact assaulted.
Not that I'm suggesting this but, Had you shot him the evidence would have been dead guy holding bat, with a neighbor claiming he had been assaulted, and had to protect himself.
I point that out because, people that will swing a bat at you, will try it again. And having things go his way in court will embolden him even more.
Good Luck, and look into video cameras. DR
The aspects of it were that make it complicated are that; 1) the bat could be viewed as a force equalizer since he is elderly and 2) the assault was on his property (driveway). In court he admitted guilt, claimed he was overcome with panic and finally apologized, The judge admonished him, so there was that as a saving grace.

Welcome,

I too am fairly new to Firearms, was always pro gun growing up in the country every house had guns, I just was never interested. Defund the Police changed all of that, I am quite the enthusiast now.
WARNING - there is always another gun to buy and that gets expensive.

Welcome,

I too am fairly new to Firearms, was always pro gun growing up in the country every house had guns, I just was never interested. Defund the Police changed all of that, I am quite the enthusiast now.
WARNING - there is always another gun to buy and that gets expensive.
Guns are like children, fairly easy to get. The expensive part is feeding and training 😉

The aspects of it were that make it complicated are that; 1) the bat could be viewed as a force equalizer since he is elderly and 2) the assault was on his property (driveway). In court he admitted guilt, claimed he was overcome with panic and finally apologized, The judge admonished him, so there was that as a saving grace.
I know the county I live in , If I used a bat on someone even in my own driveway, I would not be able to claim self defence. the other party would have to be immediately attacking me to make that claim. [ no matter what age]
We recently had two 70 year olds get into it, and that ended with one shot! The shooter was acquitted at trial because the one who got shot was still making threats when the cops got there!

Welcome! Guns are as safe as the person holding them. Like that bat! Sorry for your troubles, I hope you learn safe handling skills then practice as much as you can! I NEVER WANT TO KILL, but I want to bury people I love much less!

Welcome! Guns are as safe as the person holding them. Like that bat! Sorry for your troubles, I hope you learn safe handling skills then practice as much as you can! I NEVER WANT TO KILL, but I want to bury people I love much less!
great quote, "I never want to kill, but I want to bury people I love much less"

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top