JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking into a new concealed carry pistol. The main reason is that my ccp is the first handgun I bought, so I bought a 9mm. I can now easily handle the recoil and am ready to step it up. I am pretty sure I want a 40. I have a few XD's and I love them but I am wanting something that is not striker fired. I feel like if I am concealing (or carrying in any way) that I want one in the pipe. And I am not super comfortable with the striker fired for that reason.

So what would you recommend with this Criteria: 40 cal, compact, hammer fired, double stack, $650 max.

Within the last several weeks someone on this site began and resumed an extensive discussion of 9mm vs 40 cal. Almost all of the critical writers on this site believed the 9mm overshadowed the 40 for so many reasons. Their arguement was clear and convincing. If you can or maybe someone can point you in that direction find the discussion on this issue. You may be better off staying with the 9 and perhaps buying another model.

I hope I can say this without being rude or offensive. Get properly trained so you will become more confident with striker fired weapons. The M&P, Glock, XD, etc. are some of the absolute best weapons for CC. Not wanting to carry with one in the pipe is all about lack of the proper training with striker fired weapons. You say you have a few XD's so you already have a great CC weapon. Spend your money on a good training class and carry the XD (in a good holster) with confidence, it is a great gun.
As far as wanting a .40 I can understand because I have a Glock 22 right beside me. But guess what? It is currently loaded with +P 9mm and the 40-9 conversion barrel because I was at the range playing this weekend. I like the ability to convert and shoot different calibers with the same carry weapon. With the .40 I can convert to 9mm, 357 SIG and .22. Good luck and I truly hope that I was not offensive in any way. I am no expert and this is only my opinion.
Mike

I like the HK p2000sk for summer time and the p2000 in the winter I have both in .40 they are soft shooters and light to carry.

you may also want to look at the CZ P06 I have a P01 and it's a great gun

some people like the SIG p239 in .40 for carry

i dont get it these guys say the forty kicks to much between my old keltec pf11 and my kahr pm40 the keltec kicked more. and the keltec was a 9mm and unless your a 140 pound pip sqeek i dont see why you would not prefer more gun 155 to 200gr compared to say 115 to 147 of course i like shooting 44mags and 10mm as well . but for a carry gun in the summer i carry a pm40 or a kahr p380 and in the winter or staring around now i pack a glock 23 there just too dependable

I had some good responses to my thread that is very similar

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-discussion/69468-not-enough-9mm-one-threads-here.html

Tons of good choices out there.I wanted another gun beside a glock,just to have a different gun.And I love my glocks
But worrying about carrying with one in the tube is just silly.Take one to the range (gravel pit as the range master may get excited) ,put it in a vise and hit the slide with a hammer and board .
You will break the gun before it fires. There are mechanisms in the way of the striker,that only move with the trigger being pulled.
Most ND are just that negligence in the operator.Heck I usually carry an unaltered 3 screw blackhawk with 6 rounds in it.

So for me,wanting another gun is normal,but doing so because you have been misinformed by someone about your gun isn't smart.
Learn your weapon.

I know my weapons very well. I have fired 5000+ rounds through XD's and have never had a malfunction (with the exception of an aftermarket magazine.) I have carried it for years. But never with one in the pipe. I use a IWB holster and I am just not comfortable with it. I know the chance are next to nothing, but I really do not want my butt blown off, even if it is just a 9mm.

No offense taken guys, I am not known around this forum yet, but I am an experienced shooter.

This is always a difficult topic. So many opinions. I have always liked 9mm and .40. I reload both. I have a CZ Rami 9mm that I really like to shoot at the range, and a Taurus 709 that is a great 9mm for carry but not that much fun to shoot. I have a Ruger P94 .40 that is a large gun and nice for range shooting, and a Walther PPS .40 that is great for carry but not a range gun. I don't really see much difference aside from the .40 has a little more kick. I often change my carry weapon, until recently I bought a Colt New Agent .45. I think I will stick with the Colt for now. I won't say .45 is better, for size and control 9mm is probably best for carry in most situations. You can't plan for every scenario, if you have to use your carry weapon it will never be what you think it should be, from what I have heard it is almost always a nightmare, but always better than not having a gun.

I am not a believer of there being a huge difference between handgun calibers when it comes to practical self defense shootings against humans. not even when you take follow up shots into account since most defensive shootings do not require many rounds to be fired. I am a firm believer that the .40S&W offers much better barrier penetration if you find yourself needing to shoot through glass partitions or other obstacles. If I am at the mall and someone starts shooting and I shoot back I want the metal trash can he ducks behind to offer him as little protection as possible.

If you cannot handle a .40S&W do not shoot it, but do not try and deny it does provide specific benefits.

As for not wanting to carry a striker fired gun with one in the pipe, that is a mental issue you need to overcome. It is no more dangerous than carrying a hammer fired gun. In fact I did a video on the subject on YouTube.
Carrying Loaded Guns Safely: Revolver vs. Semi-Auto - YouTube

If you must have a hammer fired gun look at the SIG P250.

something else ,whatever cal you choose .if some bad guy comes at you and you dont have a round chambered shame on you, you wont get that second chance. iv been packing with one chambered for 5 years now my gun has never discharged . when you draw keep your finger off the trigger .and practice .and if it ever did happen id rather put one in my own *** than have some one else put two in my chest.:s0114:

Well,PbP,I'll agree with the first part,to an extent.There isn't much difference in between the 9mm,40,and 45acp.
Most differences will have to do with how each individual can handle the recoil and size of each gun and caliber.
I used to buy into the 40 over 9 stuff,but if you look at titzonritz's thread and look at the autopsy,you will see the 40 didn't perform very well. Hey down coat or not,it didn't get it done.
Yeah I know ,there are thousands of reports on how people were shot with a 9mm and walked away.But you can find that with most any caliber.Some more than others because of how many guns of a certain caliber are out there.

A lot is mental.I would say the 40 did well because the 40's were made on ,basically,the same frames as the 9mm.(kinda tells ya something right there)So the size and weight of the gun were the same as the last one the person carried,as so many people/LEOs carried the 9mm. (mostly LEOS,since most info is from them)
Now they think they have a more "viable" round. So they have more confidence in their gun.Confidence is good.

But now,I don't think the 40 is proving any better than the 9mm.I don't realize it,but quite a few don't seem to like the jump?/snap? of the 40S&W.
The 45ACP,with the size of the guns-not the recoil,isn't a better round. It doesn't show any better results than either the 9 or 40.
But I don't think many PDs use it.Which wouldn't give much data on the caliber

And as far as "barrier penetration",I haven't heard of any caliber that penetrates more than a 9mm.Heck they'll tell you it penetrates more than a full house 44 mag. And I would suspect,since it travels faster and is smaller in diameter than the 40,it would go through most garbage cans better than the 40 or 45 ACP

Now let's talk about the 10mm...hehehehe

Back on topic,

Vaultman,
Strictly going by your criteria: "factory certified used DA/SA Sig P229". I have 12 or so handguns (both pistols and revolvers), including a couple other Sigs, and my favorite still is my 40SW P229. Of course, you can get a regular used one for less from someone in this forum.

I am looking into a new concealed carry pistol. The main reason is that my ccp is the first handgun I bought, so I bought a 9mm. I can now easily handle the recoil and am ready to step it up. I am pretty sure I want a 40. I have a few XD's and I love them but I am wanting something that is not striker fired. I feel like if I am concealing (or carrying in any way) that I want one in the pipe. And I am not super comfortable with the striker fired for that reason.

So what would you recommend with this Criteria: 40 cal, compact, hammer fired, double stack, $650 max.

FNX 40. Sweet pistol and hammer fired. I have it's big brother, the FNP 45 tactical, and I absolutely love it!

If it has to be DA/SA .40 I think the FNP-40 is the most bang for the buck, and also the most under rated IMO. You could buy a new one, pick up a Crossbreed super-tuck to pack it in, and still have a hun and a half left out of your $650 for ammo.

I just ordered the FNP9 today.Never thought I would carry a "woman's round" for my CCW LOL
An yes,after a holster and some ammo ,I'll be well under $650.I can buy a couple more mags and be there.

Ya know,when these threads come up,I always say WTF? didn't we just go over this?
But every time someone comes up with a little bit more info for the topic.

I carry the M&P .40, in a Ted Blocker IWB, with one in the pipe, No mag safety, no thumb safety, Nice and clean save for the stupid warning on the slide. Factory trigger. I'll order the Apex RAM eventually, just not a high priority. I'm normally a Revolver guy, and this is my first polymer, and striker fired weapon all in one.

Caliber wise, 40 does the job the 9mms will do without pushing the round's maximum envelope as hard. I can load a 9mm to duplicate a near 357sig load, I just prefer to save that for guns built for inherent use of that sort of power. In a real life situation, within 3 yards, and 3 shots... any of these will likely keep you alive if your shot placement is good.

I'm perfectly confident in my ability using a Victory Model 10 and non-target load 158 gr Wadcutters, and will pick that over my wife's Sigma 9mm loading DPX 115's. (if my other 2 main CCW's are unavalable for some reason) Doesn't mean the 9mm is inferior in any way. Just my preference.

Don't worry yourself with the "danger" of a striker fired weapon. The safety trigger lifts a block out of the way before it pushes the pre-loaded striker to the breaking point. Until the trigger is pulled, there is no physical way for the striker to meet a primer.

My concession to safety was keeping the heavy trigger, (if not considering making it even heavier)

You could toss most modern Polymer pistols into an empty cement mixer, and all you'll have to deal with are the scratches afterward.

Poly and strikers aside, CZ makes great guns, but I seem to remember a fragility issue with the .40 ones over their classic 9mm offerings. I may be wrong there.

Have a lot of good experience with the Bersa .380 line, enough to have my attention when groping their .45 ACP larger framed version (also avalable in 9 and 40)

Good luck Neighbor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads