JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one loaded round of 30 Newton I bought ages ago. I load for a Ruger that is a 30-06 AI and there have been many instances that I have thought, quite seriously mind you, about building a 30 Newt.
Newton was indeed ahead of his time. He was also ahead of good bullets and perfect powders. The 30 Newton would be a screamer, I believe. 3000+ with a 180gr bullet should be possible.

Many Weatherby calibers are redundant but there are standouts...........my 378 Weatherby is unequaled but most are just marketing tools. I frequently get chastised for sugessting a cartridge like 300 blackout or 7 08 are just rehashes of old existing cartridges (7.62X39 and 7mmX57) I suggest that young guys with little experiance and magazine articles are looking for the newest and different when there are few inprovements over the last decades. Reloading further adjusts the versatility of cartridges to the point that nearly everything is covered. Odd calibers can be fun and in antiques can carry more value than a more common caliber but true useability by a more common readily available cartridge will eventually trump it.
Also the 270WBY Mag has a longer throat so it's got the 223 vs 5.56nato thing going on. Haven't heard too much bad about throat life but I'm sure resetting and trimming barrel is an option considering... I read one report of a guy shooting his 28' wby faster then a 270-300Win Mag wildcat (at absurdly fast speed, cant remember exact but I'm sure it was more then 3300) which has more powder, probably due to the throat length. He was shooting the 170berger hybrid and a bunch of other high bc bullets. Posted great groups too. I decided against the wby for my first (technically second)rifle because I felt it was outdated but once I started learning more and more I realize that the wby should be outselling the 270wsm nowadays... Could use a revival since roughly 2007, the 270bullet selection is becoming pretty good relatively.

Also the 270WBY Mag has a longer throat so it's got the 223 vs 5.56nato thing going on.

Well, sorta. It's like intentionally shooting .223 in a 5.56 chamber and loading it to the gills.
Weatherby's long throat is there for exactly that reason. It allows the bullet a head start at the rifling to keep the initial pressures from going to the moon. As it is, they only go to the sky! Weatherby has always pushed their stuff hard. It's what their reputation is built on. A few of their cartridges may not be very popular, but most of them are alive and doin fairly well.

I was talking to @Kruejl about how many hunting cartridges exist (I can name ten .308 caliber cartridges, easily) and then saw the failed cartridges thread, which I am enjoying. Then I thought, how many times are we gonna cram the same bullet into varying cases and call it "new"? Most new cartridges have come nowhere near exceeding already achieved performance. Some may do it in shorter and fatter packages that may or may not compromise function.

Worse yet, why do we keep buying them? The market must be bearing it.

I think I'll come out with a .270, .284, and .300 Whelen. A NEW and AWESOME cartridge based on the .35 Whelen!

On the other hand...if the gun and cartridge companies didn't offer something new, they'd go out of business, so they have to at least try new offerings in hopes that they can sell something. If nothing ever changed, I'd never have to buy a new gun, ever.

Can you imagine a hundred-plus years ago, when the .30-06 was originally marketed? And the old guys were saying this new whiz-bang cartridge has nothing over their beloved .303 or .30-40 Krag. It'll never sell. or when the .280 was released, and the old guys said the 7x57 works just fine. Why change it?

I frequently get chastised for sugessting a cartridge like 300 blackout or 7 08 are just rehashes of old existing cartridges (7.62X39 and 7mmX57) I suggest that young guys with little experiance and magazine articles are looking for the newest and different when there are few inprovements over the last decades.

A 7mm-08 will fit in a short action bolt gun and the AR10, but 7x57 will not.
The .300BLK was specifically designed to work in ARs with nothing more than a barrel change, 7.62x39 requires a different barrel, bolt, and mag and then it is, at best, a forced marriage.

On the other hand...if the gun and cartridge companies didn't offer something new, they'd go out of business, so they have to at least try new offerings in hopes that they can sell something. If nothing ever changed, I'd never have to buy a new gun, ever.

Can you imagine a hundred-plus years ago, when the .30-06 was originally marketed? And the old guys were saying this new whiz-bang cartridge has nothing over their beloved .303 or .30-40 Krag. It'll never sell.

And they were wrong!

Neither the .303 British (sentimental favorite) or the 30-40 Krag is incapable of taking game, but for one reason or another are far from being able to keep up with the 30-06 Springfield. Even if I hadn't hotrodded mine, I'd really have no reason to change.

Yes, Wayno, you are right about the "new" things selling, but I'd buy a new 06 long before I'd buy a new cartridge of the week.

(But that 30 Nosler makes my eye twitch)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top