JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Perhaps some NW deer hunters may find this development of interest. The Georgia firm, Trulock Chokes, has introduced a new approach to buckshot with their Boar Blaster choke for 12 gauge shotguns.
It appears to combine an extra-long parallel conical section with 5 parallel steps from bore diameter to a full choke constriction:

There have been many advancements in buckshot including new patented wads, dedicated chokes and even pellet size.

Last Edited:
I wonder if a standard barrel can be machined to accept these chokes?
I rem-choke all my 870s barrels. Talking a dozen over the years. Only one would not be rem-choked to to wall thickness but it could have been tru-choked.

I've used roseactionsports.com so far

I'm going to give Velzey a try here soon

Joe you are totally wrong.

Buckshot=lead shot. It's always been that way
Shot shells=steel shot shells

Where did you come up with that idea? TV?

Joe you are totally wrong.

Buckshot=lead shot. It's always been that way
Shot shells=steel shot shells

Where did you come up with that idea? TV?

I have to disagree - shot shells covers any shell filled with multiple projectiles.

Lead and steel shot never even cam up...

I don't watch TV but I've shot shotguns and grew up around them.

The people I know don't say "double aught buckshot" they just say buckshot.

If we are talking about game hunting then it comes down to pellet size and metal they are made of and the amount of powder they have in them.

Shotgun shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#)

BuckshotEdit
Larger sizes of shot, large enough that they must be carefully packed into the shell rather than simply dumped or poured in, are called "buckshot" or just "buck". Buckshot is used for hunting larger game, such as deer ("buck" being a word for a male deer, hence derivation of the name). Buckshot size is designated by actual diameter or (traditionally) by letter or number, with smaller numbers being larger shot. Sizes larger than "0" ("aught") are designated by multiple zeros. "00" ("double-aught") is the most commonly used size.

Here is the definition of a Shotshell or Shotgun Shell.
Shotgun shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell)

I'm guessing you are being condescending because you are totally wrong and just don't realize it. Nice way to open mouth and insert foot. Kudos.

Nicely cherry picked as always. Nothing new there

Hmm quoting an encyclopedia is cherry picking for you....:s0092:

I have no more use for your enormous ignorance - thanks for all you have contributed to the site in your 6 years here. Or haven't as the case seems to be:oops:.

I'll have you on ignore from here out so continue on as you were.

Wiki is opinion and can be edited at will

Differnt part of the country do things differnt. That page sounds east coast

Very grown up of you to "ignore" :cool:

A bit of "Western" gun lore:

Buckshot sizes were under different system in the West of the late 19th century.

Nominal Western buckshot pellet size comparison to Eastern / current sizes:

Western #1 = Eastern 0000B = .380" (for10 gauge)
Western #2 = Eastern 000B = .360"
Western #3 = Eastern 00B = .330"
Western #4 = Eastern 0B = .320"
Western #5 = Eastern 1B = .300"

Remington Buckshot rounds were marked with both Eastern and Western buckshot sizes into the nineteen thirties.

Lawrence shot marketed bagged buckshot, using Western sizes, as late as 1979.

4B Western  0B Eastern.jpg

Last Edited:
To be honest, I didn't click. It seems funny and or contrary though to screw any device into the end of a 28" barrel (which that screenshot seems to be), which is in all likelihood a modified or full choke to begin with, and expect some screw on dealybob to improve buckshot (#4-000) patterns.
I remember back in the day, I had a 20" barrel (ghost sights) on my fighting rig.. a long magazined 870. The essentially cylinder bore barrel had a proprietary, integral and indiscernible to or from the barrel (it was part of the barrel) had some sort of barrel-in-profile type of "choke".. though it was still cylinder bore.
That thing would put regular duty slugs into 2" and 9 count buck (regular 00 buck) well into the scoring rings of a B-27 at fifty yards.. all day.. long.

Even the little 20 bore can do the job:

Here is an interesting video of a short range buckshot strike on a Florida buck taken from a tree stand with 20 gauge Federal #2B* (18 pellet .27 caliber). Forward to 3.26 on the video, for the takedown. This video also shows the type of close cover that is normal for the coastal South.

* Also known as #7 1/2 Western Buckshot.

Last Edited:
Perhaps some NW deer hunters may find this development of interest. The Georgia firm, Trulock Chokes, has introduced a new approach to buckshot with their Boar Blaster choke for 12 gauge shotguns.
It appears to combine an extra-long parallel conical section with 5 parallel steps from bore diameter to a full choke constriction:

That pattern had two flyers, which is not really that impressive, in my opinion. Here is a pattern that a guy shot using the exact same Federal Buckshot load, but with a Patternmaster choke tube instead. The pattern is about the same, and there are no flyers:

buckshota.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR