JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice pattern! That said, any barrel/choke/buckshot load combination should be seriously pattern tested before use in the hunting field. An average of at least 5 patterns should provide a good idea of how well the combination works.

I sure hope they put out version for each of the choke systems. This is awesome!

EDIT: I noticed on their website that they offer RemChoke and then 2 systems I don't know. Charles Daly and H&R 1871. What about WinChoke/Invector?

I'd like to attempt shooting some 0000 (.380") Buckshot loads in a 12 Gauge 3" Magnum. I think that these would make some impressive close-range antipersonnel loads.

It would also be a marvelous boar/bear shell.

Just FYI, number four Buck is a nominal .24" diameter.
Not .32".
12ga 3" #4buck shells have a nominal 41, .24" pellets! That's what my HD shotgun carries. :)

Last Edited:
Just FYI, number four Buck is a nominal .24" diameter.
Not .32".
12ga 3" #4buck shells have a nominal 41, .24" pellets! That's what my HD shotgun carries. :)

Post #15 in this thread:
------------------------------------------
A bit of "Western" gun lore:

Buckshot sizes were under different system in the West of the late 19th century.

Nominal Western buckshot pellet size comparison to Eastern / current sizes:

Western #1 = Eastern 0000B = .380" (for10 gauge)
Western #2 = Eastern 000B = .360"
Western #3 = Eastern 00B = .330"
Western #4 = Eastern 0B = .320"
Western #5 = Eastern 1B = .300"

Remington Buckshot rounds were marked with both Eastern and Western buckshot sizes into the nineteen thirties.

Lawrence shot marketed bagged buckshot, using Western sizes, as late as 1979.

I'd like to attempt shooting some 0000 (.380") Buckshot loads in a 12 Gauge 3" Magnum. I think that these would make some impressive close-range antipersonnel loads.

It would also be a marvelous boar/bear shell.

You may want to try Dixie TriBall buckshot. Three .60" hard cast lead buckshot pellets @ 1100 fps. Type Dixie TriBall into your search engine.

Last Edited:
I sure hope they put out version for each of the choke systems. This is awesome!

EDIT: I noticed on their website that they offer RemChoke and then 2 systems I don't know. Charles Daly and H&R 1871. What about WinChoke/Invector?

Go to "shop now," select Winchester Winchoke and go from there.

This load sounds both high impact and powerful and extremely effective against two-legged predators. (Both bear and hogs would find it a profound "stopper" as well).

Indeed! Sub-5 inch patterns at 40 yards with extended full choke tubes are the norm with Dixie TriBall buckshot.

This is my idea of a tight pattern of 22 gauge buckshot pellets at 40 yards from my full choke 12 bore! The bullseye on that target is 8 inches in diameter. Yes, one pull of the trigger launched three 60 caliber 315 grain hard cast pellets!

triball3briley69540yds0fm6.jpg

Last Edited:
That pattern had two flyers, which is not really that impressive, in my opinion. Here is a pattern that a guy shot using the exact same Federal Buckshot load, but with a Patternmaster choke tube instead. The pattern is about the same, and there are no flyers:

View attachment 303518

Actually the patterns in the Trulock Boar Blaster video were shot with Remington green 3" 15 pellet 00B rounds clearly visable in the production. Unlike the Federal Premium Vital Shok 15 pellet 3" 00B round, Remington's 3" 00B round, although buffered, does not have a plastic shot cup to prevent pellet flattening from bore contact friction.

Strick wad retarding "chokes" with internal projections, like the Patternmaster, do not work well with loads that do not have a shot cup type wad. Indeed, Pattern master advises the same in their instructions.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads