JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a proud moment for me personally, I shot one at a stump about 20 yards away and that son of …. came right back and drilled me in the groin. One and only shot I've taken with that crap. Real eye opening experience 😳
Yipe! I always wince at references to a guy suffering a blow to his privates. Not funny to me at all. I musta been male in some other incarnation.

Thank you both for this information. I bought a box of 5 rounds years ago. Never fired any simply because I'm a tightwad and didn't want to waste any. Now I think I'll just let them sit on the shelf until I expire.

Blood clots, those are nasty things. I've had them in my lower leg and lungs. Now I'm on Eliquis for life. One more reason to avoid bodily punctures.
These are called" Less Lethal Rounds" they will still kill just less likely to do so. Plain lead buck shot will also bounce back if it strikes the right surface.
The less Lethal rounds are used on dangerous people in the jail to force compliance, without endangering the staff. In a SD event I'm not sure they would be the right ammo anyway. In court you would have to say "It was Him or ME!" and then they would say if the situation was that dire why did you pick less lethal rounds?
One ammo that worked well had an infant sock with a light charge of bird shot. It did not penetrate the skin and did not ricochette off hard surfaces. but in a riot, they were shot at the feet and legs. a hit would knock a person off their feet.

If you have a history of blood clots and get a deep bruise, it would be best to see your Dr. DR

If you have a history of blood clots and get a deep bruise, it would be best to see your Dr.
Yes, I'm aware. I got a briefing from the anti-coagulation unit of my HMO when this came about a few years ago. They said a common danger for such patients is being in a car wreck. There's the deep bruising thing. Or a bad laceration. These days, I'm a pretty cautious driver in a world gone nuts. I get complaints from Mrs. Merkt for driving too slow.

These are called" Less Lethal Rounds" they will still kill just less likely to do so. Plain lead buck shot will also bounce back if it strikes the right surface.
The less Lethal rounds are used on dangerous people in the jail to force compliance, without endangering the staff. In a SD event I'm not sure they would be the right ammo anyway. In court you would have to say "It was Him or ME!" and then they would say if the situation was that dire why did you pick less lethal rounds?
One ammo that worked well had an infant sock with a light charge of bird shot. It did not penetrate the skin and did not ricochette off hard surfaces. but in a riot, they were shot at the feet and legs. a hit would knock a person off their feet.

If you have a history of blood clots and get a deep bruise, it would be best to see your Dr. DR
We've never had a problem with lead #4 buck ricocheting out of our plane. One year we ran out and had to switch to steel f and t shot and had major damage done to our super cub from ricocheted steel shot. That was the last time steel was used for that application

We've never had a problem with lead #4 buck ricocheting out of our plane. One year we ran out and had to switch to steel f and t shot and had major damage done to our super cub from ricocheted steel shot. That was the last time steel was used for that application
They used to teach street cops to bounce buckshot under a car to get someone hiding behind it. Steel would be crazy! DR

No doubt it did....again...Ouch !

A ball to the balls ...makes one cry all the way down the halls... :D
Andy
Some protester in LA a few years ago took a "less lethal" pellet to one of his stones.
He was awarded $300K for his loss.

I think that the Israelis and Iranians are documented to have killed and maimed people with rubber buck shot.

Some protester in LA a few years ago took a "less lethal" pellet to one of his stones.

I think that the Israelis and Iranians are documented to have killed and maimed people with rubber buck shot.
Yep....knew about that.
Glad that was not the case for the our fellow forum member here.
Andy

Little known firearms factoid: Ruger later tragically used a quite similar material to make the (using the term loosely) "Recoil Pad" on the boat-paddle stocks. :)
That whole "exercise" of the boat paddle stock stumps me. Collectors love them now, but they were ugly, had noisy sling swivels unless a sling was strapped on and did seem to amplify recoil. Yuk!

There are anecdotal accounts of troops killing people with CS agents.

Here's a shotshell picked up during a protest in Iran.
Screen-Shot-01-31-24-at-11-39-PM.png

That whole "exercise" of the boat paddle stock stumps me. Collectors love them now, but they were ugly, had noisy sling swivels unless a sling was strapped on and did seem to amplify recoil. Yuk!
...and detachable swivels to easily jettison your sling were treated like seatbelts on the Enterprise: Lost technology.

Used them as a LEO back in the 80s and 90s during civil disturbances in the CA city I worked in and as a less lethal alternative to bean bag rounds. All were 9-pellet rounds fired from a 18" barrel Rem 870 12ga cylinder bore shotgun. In civil disturbances involving crowds we were instructed to use them as a indirect fire munition at 5-10yds bouncing them off the pavement or roadway 3-5ft in front of rioters, known today as "mostly peaceful protesters", so that impacts were below the waist causing bruising. The dispersal pattern was about 3ft across.

There were instances where, in the heat of the moment, they were used as a direct fire munition at those distances that left the arrestees with pretty significant welts and minor penetrations into the skin thru medium weight clothing: t-shirt under a Levi jacket or cotton/ski vest, jeans, etc. I saw similar results when used in direct fire as a LL alternative as close as 3yds but the penetrations were deeper and more significant. At the distances we used them as a direct fire munition I don't recall any flyers (misses) that ricocheted and only one instance of bounce backs that fell harmlessly near the feet of a pretty big guy wearing a heavy leather jacket.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews