JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't aware of that - so when you buy a suppressor and the ATF has done their thing, checked you out, the Class 3 dealer where you pick it up from doesn't need to run a background check and charge for it, make you wait, etc??

A 4473 is still processsed by the Class3 (for a Class 3 Transfer) but it does not have to be called in to NICS - Not sure about how OR handles it. Best to ask Coctailer.

I wasn't aware of that - so when you buy a suppressor and the ATF has done their thing, checked you out, the Class 3 dealer where you pick it up from doesn't need to run a background check and charge for it, make you wait, etc??
I think the FFL's do it to cover all the ways they can get in trouble so they do the check. If the firearm is subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act and has been approved for transfer under 27 CFR part 479 by law no check is needed unless your state or local laws say it is needed.
But by wording in the law a 4473 must be filled out for the transfer.

Under what premise is the BATFE asking for ethnicity? Do they ask if someone is a Jew, or Black, or any other of the vast things we Americans define ourselves as? I think this is a law suit in the making.

We fill out 4473 for Class 3 transfers. We only have to call it in for a Trust. The individual has already been checked out after the Feds get done with them. The simple background check is only done when someone from the Trust comes in and picks up the item.

Sounds reasonable.

Tic toc lol. Gimme gimme gimme.

Hispanic is ethnicity, not a race. They probably wanted to clarify that, but my question is why does race or ethnicity have anything to do with buying a gun?

I have often thought this very thing many times when filling out the old form. Although I wonder how long it takes to technically become a race. I believe most of central America people are a mixture of spanish settlers (white race) having children with the Native American race creating a new race of hybrid super humans called "Hispanics" prized for their skills in agriculture.

No a NICS check is not required for the sale of firearms registered under the National Firearms Act (NFA) assuming all NFA requirements have been satisfied. And the dealer can't transfer the NFA registered thing until the paper is complete.
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Brady Law
NFA item transferred to a trust or other legal entity needs to have a member pick it up or someone with the power to "ACT" for them. Some form of legal document is needed to show connection to the trust or other legal entity.
Non-NFA
When the buyer of a firearm is a corporation, association, or other organization, an officer or other representative authorized to act on behalf of the organization must complete the form with his or her personal information and attach a written statement, executed under penalties of perjury, stating that the firearm is being acquired for the use of the organization and the name and address of the organization.
I hope this helps Abiqua.

No NICS check is required for an individual transfer because the ATF completed a background check as part of the approval process for the Form 4. But when the transfer is to a trust or other legal entity then no background check was done at the ATF and, as I said above, a NICS check needs to be done on the individual picking up the NFA item.

From the NFA Handbook ( <broken link removed>

9.12.1 NFA Transfers to other than individuals. Subsequent to the approval of an application
requesting to transfer an NFA firearm to, or on behalf of, a partnership, company, association,
trust, estate, or corporation, the authorized person picking up the firearm on behalf of, a
partnership, company, association, trust, estate, or corporation from the FFL must complete the
Form 4473 with his/her personal information and undergo a NICS check. See also, question P60
in the ATF FAQs.

Hey - I don't see "Irish", "Scandanavian", German, Italian, etc on the list - that is just plain prejudiced - unfair treatment. Also - why don't they segregate by alcoholic beverage preference? favored brand of ammunition? type of vehicle driven?

"Under what premise is the BATFE asking for ethnicity? Do they ask if someone is a Jew, or Black, or any other of the vast things we Americans define ourselves as? I think this is a law suit in the making."
"Hey - I don't see "Irish", "Scandanavian", German, Italian, etc on the list - that is just plain prejudiced - unfair treatment. Also - why don't they segregate by alcoholic beverage preference? favored brand of ammunition? type of vehicle driven?"

Well, our Southern border is not being overrun by a tsunami of Ugandans, Hutus, Tutsis, Ashkenazim, Swedes, Germans Italians, etc. I am deeply offended by the nomenclature "Native American." I'm so white the veins on my buns show through the skin, but I'm a Native American by G_d because I was born here, have never been to Europe, owe Europe no loyalty, and regard all Americans regardless of "race" as my countrymen. Guess that makes me a "Native American," nicht wahr? It seems the "post racial" society is more obsessed with "race" than any nation since the collapse of Rhodesia.

"Under what premise is the BATFE asking for ethnicity? Do they ask if someone is a Jew, or Black, or any other of the vast things we Americans define ourselves as? I think this is a law suit in the making."
"Hey - I don't see "Irish", "Scandanavian", German, Italian, etc on the list - that is just plain prejudiced - unfair treatment. Also - why don't they segregate by alcoholic beverage preference? favored brand of ammunition? type of vehicle driven?"

Well, our Southern border is not being overrun by a tsunami of Ugandans, Hutus, Tutsis, Ashkenazim, Swedes, Germans Italians, etc. I am deeply offended by the nomenclature "Native American." I'm so white the veins on my buns show through the skin, but I'm a Native American by G_d because I was born here, have never been to Europe, owe Europe no loyalty, and regard all Americans regardless of "race" as my countrymen. Guess that makes me a "Native American," nicht wahr? It seems the "post racial" society is more obsessed with "race" than any nation since the collapse of Rhodesia.

Ya but, what about a "native" or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country ?...........:s0092:

I'm Swede German an English , I have eaten many tacos , does that make me more hispanic or should I check my ethnicity quotent with our competent government authorities. L O freekin L

I speak some Spanish and we eat Mexican food quite often - not sure if that makes me Hispanic, White or International Gourmet (is that an official race?)

Ya but, what about a "native" or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country?
Guess they're Native Americans if they were born in Nova Mundo. Mojados if they invaded without legal imprimatur.

Guess that makes me a "Native American," nicht wahr? It seems the "post racial" society is more obsessed with "race" than any nation since the collapse of Rhodesia.

This was my point, although I guess I didn't express it well. My point being that they are only asking ethnicity about one specific group to the exclusion of others....THAT should be illegal.

(I know, it's really about getting set-asides for one group over another, which should also be illegal).

I smell a civil rights law suit...question 10 is actually illegal to ask.

In General:

For employment..? Not legal in most cases... But it can be an optional to answer question.

On a poll or survey..? No! Legal in most cases.

The two predominate races in the US are Hispanic and None Hispanic and the following questions on the form seem to sort it out even more. If you are Irish,English and Native American like me you are White. My mother was english and native american and because she never got a reservation card she was white. So if you are non hispanic you are one of the others or a mix listed in the next question.

It would also seem to me that Jessie J. would be all over this by now?

Seriously? They ask about the fastest growing racial demographic in the country and this is somehow the sign of the end times? Gimme a break.

But, for what purpose are they asking? How, in the grand scheme of things, does it matter what color, ethnicity or even religion a person is before they buy a gun? Freedom means different things to different people, and the 14th Amendment means something different to different people.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top