JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of a 6 cavity steel target mold. Most of my molds are aluminum. Some get sticky. That's probably me. But if you know of a steel 6 cavity target please let me know! I've gotten into powder coating. Pretty neat process. I made a stand out of 9mm cases that I put the rounds in tip down so only the contact portions of the round get coated. Seems to work pretty nice.

Here's a new 135gr brass 6 cavity for $95..

Thank you sir. I've never seen or used a brass mold. Your opinion? Is a 0.359 getting a bit large if your powder coating? And BTW, last my Wife and I visited Portland it was, well, different than today. What's it like for you?

Thank you sir. I've never seen or used a brass mold. Your opinion? Is a 0.359 getting a bit large if your powder coating? And BTW, last my Wife and I visited Portland it was, well, different than today. What's it like for you?
It's alright.. 3rd gen so used to it.
Never used brass or bronze but hear It's really good.
I use unsized .360's in my 9mm's no problems but it's pretty common to size over diameter slugs down quite a ways post coating with no flaking.

Check out Accurate molds. They have an extensive catalog, just about any shape, weight, diameter you can imagine, and will even customize one for you if you want. They make them steel, brass, or aluminum, up to 5 cavity (sorry, no 6).

I have a couple in aluminum and really like them. They're not cheap, but then again they're not cheap.

Check out Accurate molds. They have an extensive catalog, just about any shape, weight, diameter you can imagine, and will even customize one for you if you want. They make them steel, brass, or aluminum, up to 5 cavity (sorry, no 6).

I have a couple in aluminum and really like them. They're not cheap, but then again they're not cheap.
WOW! wHAT A SITE. Not sure of what I'd want. TMI. Thanks!

Yeah this DOES look pretty amazing, ive been kinda pondering about 30-30 molds as well as 9mm but mostly 10mm and 45's

Dumb question for a casting newb. Is hard cast swaged as in sized? Or is it simply just more tin in the alloy?

Yeah this DOES look pretty amazing, ive been kinda pondering about 30-30 molds as well as 9mm but mostly 10mm and 45's

Dumb question for a casting newb. Is hard cast swaged as in sized? Or is it simply just more tin in the alloy?
Hard in that the metal is harder than soft/more pure lead. It's hardened with antimony with some tin added so it flows more readily.
Anything harder than Lyman #2 is probably considered at the low end of hard.

I wanna take a swing at your post. Hard casting is a method. Basically dropping your freshly cast into water. Thus hardening it. Swaged or sizing, in my opinion, should always be done. Tin is more for lubricity not harness. Antimony is more for hardness

Water quenching hardens the alloy, if quench hardenable, instantly. If you don't water drop, full attanable hardness (giggity) without heat treating is reached in six months or something. I don't water drop because of the bother and have years worth of cast bullets.

Water quenching hardens the alloy, if quench hardenable, instantly. If you don't water drop, full attanable hardness (giggity) without heat treating is reached in six months or something. I don't water drop because of the bother and have years worth of cast bullets.
Interesting, i didn't know lead hardened over time Like some aluminums. Which they call precipitation hardening IIRC.

I have the same bullet design in a 4 Cavity HP. Order direct from MP Molds.com. He is in Slovainia, Europe but uses DHL for shipping. You'll have your mold in a week.

Solid vendor, got about 15 of his Cramer style HP molds.

If you water drop w/out powder coating, you better size within 18 hrs. You can size then come back later and resize & lube. The bullets get so hard that they will spring back and get caught in the lube gullies of the sizing die.

IMHO, Cast Boolits web page is the cast bullet world's MECCA, including information and a potential source of used molds. Note: If you want in on a group buy, expect a wait - potentially a LONG wait. Its been over two+ years for a 147gr 9mm mold. If it was a real need, I've have moved on as there are other options for off the shelf molds.

The group buys on Castboolits I believe are closed right now. I know MP Molds is on hold due to production and post Covid problems. Yea, there finding it hard to get employees who are willing to work in Sloveina too.

But, the molds he has already got cherries for he manufactures and keep in stock at his web store located at MP Molds.com.

The molds offered on ebay are some ebay seller jacking the price. Buy direct with confidence.

I've got that mp mold in both a brass 4 hole hollow point mold and a pair of 8 hole aluminum molds for production and all three produce a great bullet which run great in my competition guns.

IMG_0784.jpeg IMG_0476.jpeg

One of my favorite 9mm molds is a Lee 6 cavity 124 gr TC bullet. I have two and switch off to keep a good production pace up. I did polish the cavities to get them to drop free. they drop large enough that they can be sized for use in 38/357 and 9mm, 38 super and 357 sig. after they are Powder coated I just size them for the gun. They are easy to cast, and fast to cool. DR

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top