JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I went shooting this afternoon with a friend and his buddy.
Friends buddy brought ammo to shoot in my rifle.
The rifle in question is a Remington 03A3 from 1943.
Long story short ... No one was seriously hurt but...
My A3 now has a crack in the receiver by the "Hatcher hole" and the barrel seems twisted.

Friends buddy bought some reloads at a gun show awhile back ....He was not aware that he bought reloads ... and seems honest about it.
Sigh
Andy

Glad no one was hurt. So the lesson is that if you let someone shoot your firearm they can only use ammo you provide.....:oops:

Hopefully they offered to make it good?

My A3 now has a crack in the receiver by the "Hatcher hole" and the barrel seems twisted.

Friends buddy bought some reloads at a gun show awhile back ....He was not aware that he bought reloads ... and seems honest about it.
Sigh
Andy

It's ALWAYS the "friend of friend" that bubblegums up
EVERYTHING! :rolleyes:

I bought a 6.8 AR upper a few years back from a young member here, and he had a HEAP of reloads he wanted to sell with the upper that he got from "another dude" when he got the upper... I was all, "no frakin' way, number one rule.... NEVER knowingly shoot someone else's reloads".

This only reaffirms that policy. o_O

Last Edited:
Yes they did ... But like everyone else they are on a budget ... so not sure when a replacement will happen.
Yeah I am glad no one was badly hurt .. but yep if you shoot my guns ... Just give me some money for ammo.
Andy
Glad no one was hurt. So the lesson is that if you let someone shoot your firearm they can only use ammo you provide.....:oops:

Hopefully they offered to make it good?

Sigh
Andy

Damn shame Andy but thanks for sharing to warn others. No one shoots anything of mine unless I can see they have factory made ammo or my ammo for just stuff like this. Hope you can get the rifle replaced and glad that no one got injured for sure.

Sad day ... the rifle did look pretty cherry.
It is now at a friends house , he is a retired gunsmith , to be checked out.. but not sure what can be saved... What with a cracked receiver , maybe twisted barrel , split stock , who knows what else...

Luckily for everyone ( but the rifle ) the Remington 03A3 series of rifles have a strong action and are well built.
Andy

Wow, what a MAJOR bummer Andy! :( So sorry to hear about this. I can tell you're very disappointed at the loss of a favorite gun - I would feel the same way. Really glad to hear no one was hurt though. Thankfully that is a well built gun and may have just have prevented a bigger disaster.

Honestly I don't know that I would have given a second thought to using someone else's ammo - it's a good lesson for everyone.

Sorry about the gun, I hope maybe there is some way to save it.

Yeah it looked like this... But not any longer. Damn.
Not sure what can be saved ... cracked receiver and more...part it maybe ,,, we will see what my gunsmith friend says...
Andy
Wow, what a MAJOR bummer Andy! :( So sorry to hear about this. I can tell you're very disappointed at the loss of a favorite gun - I would feel the same way. Really glad to hear no one was hurt though. Thankfully that is a well built gun and may have just have prevented a bigger disaster.

Honestly I don't know that I would have given a second thought to using someone else's ammo - it's a good lesson for everyone.

Sorry about the gun, I hope maybe there is some way to save it.
DSC06339.jpg

Last Edited:
No... Just some ammo he bought at a gunshow ... not sure who the re-loader was / is...
Ammo was Remington 165 Core-Lokts .... at one time anyway....
It came in a lot of various military gear.
Andy

If I find ammo on the ground at the range, I gleefully fire it out of one of my guns (That's robust enough to take it). It's like a visit by the ammo fairy!

If I find ammo on the ground at the range, I gleefully fire it out of one of my guns (That's robust enough to take it). It's like a visit by the ammo fairy!
I'd venture to say that no gun , no matter how robust , should be shot with unknown ammo.
The 03A3 is a very strong action , which is what saved the shooter today from serious injury.
Andy

Really sorry to hear about this Andy. Like others have said, glad no one was hurt, but DAYMN that hurts the heart:( Hope you are able to find a good replacement soon. Being a reloader I shoot reloads from trusted friends, but that's all. Had to stop and think about it just now, but actually 99% of the time I'm shooting their reloads in their guns and they shoot my reloads in mine.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews