JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What do you expect "them" to give?

Nationwide reciprocity, deregulating silencers, reopening the machine-gun registry, and cleaning up the bureaucratic mess that NFA34/GCA68 created is a start. After those are done, we'll talk about universal background checks. :s0165:

I object to mandatory background checks philosophically; though I don't personally sell guns to strangers directly, what I do with my legally owned property is no one's business but my own. And practically; background checks have been found to be nearly worthless and the NICS system is in need of serious fixes.

Nationwide reciprocity, deregulating silencers, reopening the machine-gun registry, and cleaning up the bureaucratic mess that NFA34/GCA68 created is a start. After those are done, we'll talk about universal background checks. :s0165:

I object to mandatory background checks philosophically; though I don't personally sell guns to strangers directly, what I do with my legally owned property is no one's business but my own. And practically; background checks have been found to be nearly worthless and the NICS system is in need of serious fixes.
Exactly! Most recent example being the prohibited felon in Aurora IL that passed a state and federal BGC, bought a gun and murdered 5 people.

Love it when the smart guys are on our side.

Exactly! Most recent example being the prohibited felon in Aurora IL that passed a state and federal BGC, bought a gun and murdered 5 people.

Exactly. For example, the headcase that shot up the church in Texas and the Virginia Tech shooter were both prohibited persons but weren't in the system. I'm not willing to give up more rights (in the form of bans or whatever) because .gov is too incompetent to follow the laws already on the books.

Well, I sold many firearms over the years to strangers. Where I live, the likelyhood of someone that looks like a normal red blooded American is probably just that. Never demanded a CHL like almost all sellers in Idaho, never sold to any sketchy people, but none ever showed up. Not gonna spend sleepless nights over what somebody else is gonna do with legal property. It's not like I sold cigarettes or beer to kids!!

Exactly, I want my cake back, reference to this for those that haven't seen it:

Cake And Compromise – Illustrated Guide To Gun Control

So tell me how well the back ground checked worked in the Aurora, IL shooting. It failed, and when they found out he could not own a gun in 2014 they sent him a letter to turn the gun it into police, yes a simple letter but guess what he did not turn it in and they even require a FOID card to get a gun so a pre background check to buy.

Background checks do nothing just like drivers license do not stop drunk drivers, road rage or teen age pregnancy from happening in the back seat. It is a BS feel good measure and a back door to registration as all transfers will now have a paper trail.

They have suckered folks in believing just one more law and all will be fine but guess what, folks with bad intent do not give a rip about laws if they did murder, rape, drug trafficking and drunk driving would have stopped a long time ago when they were first outlawed but yet they happens every day in every country around the world. All those laws really work now don't they!

Remember prohibition and how well that amendment worked it created the biggest crime syndicates the US has ever seen, all for the so called good of the people.

Laws only affect and punish the law abiding by making us jump through hoops so someone else can feel good, but the bad guy still commits the crime.

So unless you can change the hearts of man it will never stop, so stop kidding yourself, I mean even England still has a gun and a knife problem because bad guys do not care about laws.

Yes, yes I know but we have to do something, I mean it's for the children!

I call BS because buy forcing me going through a background check will not save one child's life, no different than you getting and having a driver's license will stop the next drunk driver.

Aurora Illinois shooter wasn't legally allowed to own a gun.

Aurora, Illinois shooter wasn't legally allowed to own gun

You do REALIZE that the Ds did NOT want an illegal alien who tried to buy a gun and was DENIED be turned in to ICE or any OFFICIAL LE authority, didn't you? It is written in some other piece of garbage bill just like what was passed with sneaky words and new deals.

I do not know the bill number off hand.

IT is in the news and I will put up a link as soon as I find it.

(ALL of this is bass backwards and it IS stupid.)

Pass out driver licenses, id cards, they push the link where someone can vote on it - citizen or not, no real voter id cards or birth certificate has to be shown because they think that DISCRIMINATES - ha ha, sanctuary states/cities where the judge or politicians or GOVERNOR says that the PAID PEACE OFFICERS do not have to COOPERATE WITH THE FEDS aka border patrol, Ice or whoever.

ALL of the stuff that always was REQUIRED in the past in a sane, smooth operation of LEGAL, honest immigration and becoming a citizen or not with proper work id proof - visa with all of it's checks/balances, with proper voting requirements in ENGLISH and ballots, with all of the LEGAL stuff in .gov laws that used common sense and brains has been tossed aside because some D or R or whoever chooses WHAT LAWS that they want to obey or ignore in THIS SOVEREIGN NATION!

Let me get the link now.

House Gun Control Bill Advances Out Of Committee. Here Are The Details

So something IS illegal for Citizens but not for Illegal Aliens who are already Criminals!

Quote:

"Democrats, however, voted down one such amendment that would notify ICE authorities when an illegal alien fails a background check to purchase a firearm."

So if we did something wrong as a CITIZEN... we get punished. But if this happens to an illegal alien... the authorities do not get NOTIFIED. Plus if they did get notified... some police people can't WORK with the FEDS because their HANDS ARE TIED BEHIND THEIR BACKS in this issue!

But yeah, yeah, we have to make it a GUN ISSUE!

Cate

Last Edited:
I went back and forth with my pops on this bill.

Seems like there was lots of opposition for the bill, but not enough opposition to vote republicans into office during the last cycle.

The state voted itself blue.

Not shocking this stuff follows.

Voting has consequences.

We will see it soon here as well.

Oregon voted further blue than ever before.

That right there is what is "wrong". Way too many gun owners will not vote for their own interest. Many do not vote at all, many actively support those who are hosing them with a book of excuses why they do. One thing most have in common is after they vote these people in they complain about the laws they pass

Last Edited:
The problem is the "other" side NEVER gives an inch. We as law abiding citizens are the ones that keep having to "compromise". It's a zero sum game for 2A rights

That is it exactly. I shake my head when I see people say "our side will not give". I have to wonder where they are and do they ever watch any news? All "our side" ever does is give. Not by the inch buy by the yard. The "compromise" always only goes one way, we lose more rights. Then large numbers of gun owners who must think our side will not give and inch, also will not vote. Which means the worst person wins every time. The grabbers want to make every excuse under the sun to protect the criminals who use guns while they tell legal gun owners they are the problem. This is bad enough without more gun owners cheering on this idea.

Personally, I would hate to think I ever sold a gun that hurt or killed someone.

Really? So if you sell your car to someone who gets drunk and wipes out some family you feel bad you sold him a car? If someone buys the stuff to make a bomb and kills hundreds is that your "fault"? Seems strange it's always only guns that are some magic problem.

Both sides of the gun debate are laying bricks in that wall.

One side says "No change to my Right!" whilst the other "All guns be gone!". If neither ever give, it adds to the divide.

Eventually the winner is the one with the most money. Sadly, that's not the gun-pro side.
I have asked this question before, what other right do you favor a background check on? Speaking? Church? Assembly?

I don't think a background check, going hat in hand to the gov., is indicative of a FREE country / state.

I have asked this question before, what other right do you favor a background check on? Speaking? Church? Assembly?

I don't think a background check, going hat in hand to the gov., is indicative of a FREE country / state.

Jack
Great point and it shouldn't be Gov mandated either as I voted against i594. I was explaining how I handled it pre i594...

There are reasonable restrictions in each of those. You can't yell fire in a theater, you have to file paperwork and be a legit church to get all the benefits, and a bunch of people gathering often requires a permit.

So yes, there are times that utilizing a Right isn't the right way to do it.

I agree. Yet much of the nation wants it's illusion of security, at the price of gun ownership.

And "they" will eventually get it, as guns are rarely be shown in a positive light to the masses. But masses killings dominate the news.

The idea of gun control for law abiding citizens is the equivalent of telling someone they cannot go to the movies because they "may" yell fire. Furthermore, the crazy neighbor next door who is off his meds could just as easily firebomb the neighbors house... There is no guarantee of our safety, there is however a constitutional right to be able to protect ourselves.
This is the problem we face, there is ABSOLUTELY no law that can prevent evil men from committing evil acts regardless of how "reasonable" one thinks the restrictions on our 2a rights are.

The idea of gun control for law abiding citizens is the equivalent of telling someone they cannot go to the movies because they "may" yell fire.

If yelling fire in a theater were common, there would be 1A issues. Even if 99.999% of the people aren't a problem. Kinda like guns.

The metaphoric tree of liberty just lost another branch.

TJ told us how to fix this problem. In the end there's only one way to keep your 2nd amendment and ultimately all your liberty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top