JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went to the Oct 2nd Dept of Nat Resources "TAG" meeting (Trail Advisory Group). Had most all groups represented there (Horse riders, Hikers, Bikers, ORV'rs and Motor Bike trail riders).

Discussed the usual topics such as; Timber sales progress, Current and upcoming road closures/repairs, Trails progress, Grants status and discussed more on "Clean Up the Burn" project that happens this coming May 2015.

The biggest issue that kept coming to surface was trash from shooters, along with reports of irresponsible shooting. People shooting near and toward trails. Also discussed the need for more patrols and law enforcement.

The issue of not enough law enforcement leads me closer to the idea of the "Forest Watch Program" that DNR has in place. It's a program where volunteers cruise the woods and report illegal activity and trashed areas. I'm really thinking this would be a good thing to do, as representatives of NWFA. Forest Watch volunteers simply observe, casual talk with approachable people, hand out DNR info, have 2 way radios with Law Enforcement and record their observations. Two people per vehicle, magnetic door signs and DNR provides training. I also think that we, as NWFA volunteers, would have a hand out flyer of info on NWFA. Perhaps even a map that recommends safe shooting sites, as well as, areas that are not safe to shoot (too close to trails, ect...). Let's see where this idea leads us.

The "Clean Up the Burn" discussion is now scheduled for next year, May 2nd, 2015. This is THE BIG annual event where most of the Larch Mntn/Yacolt Burn area gets cleaned up by volunteers from all outdoor recreational groups, such as, Horse riders, Hikers, Bikers, ORV'rs, Motor Bike trail riders and Target shooters (NWFA is the only firearms group represented in outdoor recreational activities). Lots of stuff is needed to put this together, such as food donations, equipment, new sponsors & co-sponsors, promotional help, donations, a lot of advanced planning, organizing and so forth. I hope we can contribute a lot and have our name up on the ad boards for this event.

I would still like to encourage someone to join me in the work with WA DNR. There are several areas we could pay attention to and I think we could make a difference, as well as, set an example for other parts of our Northwest forest lands.

Bill

Last Edited:
Went to the Aug 7th DNR meeting. Had most all groups represented there (Horse riders, Hikers, Bikers, ORV'rs and so forth).

Discussed a few topics like; Timber sales progress, Current and upcoming road repairs and closures, Trails progress, Grants status and reviewed the May "Clean up the burn" project.

I threw in my 2 cents worth by asking if other groups would keep eyes open for trashed shooting sites and report them to DNR so they can let me know. Then we can organize some clean up efforts.

The "Clean up the burn" discussion reported over 70 volunteers that day, May 3rd. Next year they are targeting May 2nd. Most of the clean up was done at shooting sites. It appears that most of problems, on our forest lands, are from irresponsible target shooters and just plain garbage dumpers.

We discussed the need for more 'good people' out in the forest and keeping an eye out. DNR has a Forest Watch program that we should really consider getting involved with. I posted a note about it in this Volunteer section, under the thread Project Ideas, if you'd like to learn a little more about it. Project Ideas?

I would still like to encourage someone to join me in the work with WA DNR. There are several areas we could pay attention to and I think we could make a difference, as well as, set an example for other parts of our Northwest forest lands.

Bill

Future TAG Meetings: October 2, 2014 (La Center Community Center)

December 4, 2014 (La Center Community Center)

Can't make the Dec 4th meeting, I'm out of town but would love to participate when possible. I've been cleaning sites in the woodland area recently and would like to start working farther out at known problem area's. I would love to chat with people in this particular area. Could you private message me with any helpful information phone numbers of people in this area that would like to get together in my local area.

Went to the Oct 2nd Dept of Nat Resources "TAG" meeting (Trail Advisory Group). Had most all groups represented there (Horse riders, Hikers, Bikers, ORV'rs and Motor Bike trail riders).

Discussed the usual topics such as; Timber sales progress, Current and upcoming road closures/repairs, Trails progress, Grants status and discussed more on "Clean Up the Burn" project that happens this coming May 2015.

The biggest issue that kept coming to surface was trash from shooters, along with reports of irresponsible shooting. People shooting near and toward trails. Also discussed the need for more patrols and law enforcement.

The issue of not enough law enforcement leads me closer to the idea of the "Forest Watch Program" that DNR has in place. It's a program where volunteers cruise the woods and report illegal activity and trashed areas. I'm really thinking this would be a good thing to do, as representatives of NWFA. Forest Watch volunteers simply observe, casual talk with approachable people, hand out DNR info, have 2 way radios with Law Enforcement and record their observations. Two people per vehicle, magnetic door signs and DNR provides training. I also think that we, as NWFA volunteers, would have a hand out flyer of info on NWFA. Perhaps even a map that recommends safe shooting sites, as well as, areas that are not safe to shoot (too close to trails, ect...). Let's see where this idea leads us.

The "Clean Up the Burn" discussion is now scheduled for next year, May 2nd, 2015. This is THE BIG annual event where most of the Larch Mntn/Yacolt Burn area gets cleaned up by volunteers from all outdoor recreational groups, such as, Horse riders, Hikers, Bikers, ORV'rs, Motor Bike trail riders and Target shooters (NWFA is the only firearms group represented in outdoor recreational activities). Lots of stuff is needed to put this together, such as food donations, equipment, new sponsors & co-sponsors, promotional help, donations, a lot of advanced planning, organizing and so forth. I hope we can contribute a lot and have our name up on the ad boards for this event.

Bill

Hi Bill, my name is Mark. I have sat here unresponsive and have watched this thread spark some interest but with no one who has committed completely. I am a OR resident but have a general interest that includes not only OR but WA public areas and gun owners and enthusiast rights and interests in multiple areas. If you can email me I would like to talk with you over the phone to see if I can help you with representation of the site and gun owners from the Pacific Northwest. I am currently back in school regarding Fisheries and Wildlife and feel it is the right time for me to donate my time to causes and needs that I believe need an equal voice in the outdoor community. Please email me at [email protected]

Thank you for keeping this subject open to the sites users and I hope to hear from you soon.

Mark H.

At the DNR TAG meeting, Trail Advisory Group, Dec 4th '14, we discussed the usual timber sales projects and trail construction updates. New info on the grants that DNR had applied for and looks like they will get several of those and will apply towards maintenance, trail construction and so forth.

Never ending mentions of bad shooters in the woods. Shooting at equipment and in the direction of people working on trail projects. A lot of stolen signs. Stolen within days of installing them. Most likely because of the high price paid for aluminum (most of the stolen stuff is aluminum).

A couple of trail construction groups commented about problems encountered with target shooters. There have been some shooters who are pissed off about not being able to shoot at their normal shooting places because of trail construction work. They are tearing down their caution signs and/or shooting them full of holes.

I've been considering ways to help curtail the anxiety between the groups. One idea I had is to develop a map and flyer that points to good locations to target shoot. That flyer would direct people to places that we, as NWFA, recommend are safe locations to partake in recreational target shooting. It would also point out places that are not safe because of existing trails or other hazardous concerns. We would need to, not only develop a map with information, but install distribution sites at key locations to the state land (which would be about 3-4 places). Place flyers in those weather proof distributions points and restock as needed.

This idea, I'm thinking, may help ease the anxiety that shooters have because now they could find good places to shoot and easily see where danger areas are. It would take a few of us to do some reconnaissance missions and beat heads together to come up with good recommendations.

My problem is getting hold of good maps that show all these spur roads and the road numbers. Most roads have numbers but may not show up on maps. On top of that, not many roads are marked. It can get rather frustrating when trying to find a certain location.

Beyond that, we also discussed more plans on the May 'Pick Up The Burn' annual event where all groups come together and clean up the whole Larch Mt. area. We are expecting close to 200 people this year and that's a lot of hungry folks! We need some donations and some volunteer help from NWFA.

That's all for now. Any comments or questions?

Bill

Hey cog.
where do we sign up for "pick up the burn"?
I would also like to possibly donate some cleaning supplies for those who don't have, and maybe help with bringing lunch.
would like to attend with my 6yr old son, and my ten year old brother (the belcher labor force lol) any info would be awesome, thanks.:)

The next annual Pick Up The Burn is coming up beginning of May, 2015. I'll be posting the sign up info for that as we get closer. This is at the Yacolt Burn State Forest area, just East and NE of Hockinson, WA. Last year was the first year that my son and I volunteered and we really enjoyed it. They had DJ music at base camp, tents with tons of food, all recreational groups were represented, and lots of local businesses donated items and logistics. We picked an area to work in, went out and did a lot of good work. Met several great folks, ate well and felt the pride of being involved with a worthy project.

I went back a week later, to look things over, and saw all was in really good shape. Lately, I've seen lots of trashed areas, so, there will be plenty to at this next event. We, at NWFA, will also be doing our own clean up projects at shooting sites this coming spring. I'll post those events here as well.

Thanks, belcher, for the offer of donations! I'll find out from the group if they need anything like that and will post any needs here.

Lunch... they are planning for around 200 people for lunch and will be using grant money, along with donations, to provide lunch, free to volunteers. They also will have BBQ's set up and folks to do the cooking.

Mostly, I'm hoping we can help by providing plenty of NWFA volunteers. We need to make our presents known and that we really are concerned about our public land and our interest in recreational target shooting. This is one event where we can boost our relations with the DNR and the other recreational groups in our area.

You can be notified automatically by clicking on the tab at the top of the volunteer section "Watch Forum". You will then receive notifications of anything we post in the Volunteer sections.

Looking forward to meeting "The Belcher Labor Force"!

Bill

A CHANGE IN MEETING TIME AND LOCATION!

The February 5th Trail Advisory Group Meeting. REMINDER: The meeting starts @ 6pm and will be at the Dollars Corner Fire Station #26. 21609 NE 72nd Ave, Battle Ground, WA. 98604-5228

This will be the 2nd to last meeting before the big Pick-Up The Burn project in May. We will discuss how NWFA can be more involved in this and other efforts in the State DNR Larch Mt. area.

I could sure use another set of eyes, ears and an extra brain! Let me know if you can attend.

Bill

The TAG meeting, on Feb 5th, went well. I secured a booth space, at the Pick-up the Burn, and we will be distributing information about NWFA, Ethics & Rules of Target Shooting in the forest and Tips for the Target Shooter. We will be getting lots of public exposure and want to do our best to make a positive impact. (Typically, about 75 - 100 people volunteer and news media coverage).

This is in Washington State Yacolt Burn State Forest at Larch Mt. We are partnering with WA. Dept. of Natural Resources and 10 other recreational groups which include hiking, biking, equestrian and motorized, to show our support and celebrate enduring stewardship by cleaning up the Yacolt Burn State Forest, all in one day.

I'll be posting more about this project, in a new thread as we get closer, and we'll make this a regular clean up event.

Next TAG meeting is this Thursday, April 2nd. I'll be presenting a check to the TAG group for $300 as our contribution towards the upcoming May 2nd Pick up the Burn clean up project that all the Rec groups will be involved in. It will also be the last meeting before the big clean up event.

(The $300 is a result of our fundraiser campaign: 13th Annual Pick-Up The Burn - Can you help with lunch money?

Anyone who would like to join me, you will be welcome!

The Trail Advisory Group Meeting. The meeting starts @ 6pm and will be at the Dollars Corner Fire Station #26. 21609 NE 72nd Ave, Battle Ground, WA. 98604-5228

Thank you,

Bill

Last Edited:
WA. Dept. of Natural Resources holds meetings every other month, in Battle Ground, WA., called TAG (Trail Advisory Group). This group is comprised of several representatives of various outdoor recreational groups around Clark County, WA. Those represented are hikers, equestrian, bicyclists, motorcycle riders, ATV's and 4 wheelers. The firearms community has not been represented until now.

It is at these TAG meetings where discussions, plans and proposals are made regarding the recreational use of our local State lands. The issues often directly impact the future of recreational target shooting and hunting.

We are in need of someone to volunteer to attend these meetings and report back to NWFA. Meetings are held from 6 pm to 8 pm, on the first Thursday, every other month. Attend, listen, take notes and report on topics discussed.

Jan, 2015
A CHANGE IN MEETING TIME AND LOCATION!

The Trail Advisory Group Meeting. REMINDER: The meeting starts @ 6pm and will be at the Dollars Corner Fire Station #26. 21609 NE 72nd Ave, Battle Ground, WA. 98604-5228

These meetings are on going, every 2 months, throughout the year. The First Thursday of Feb, April, June, Aug, Oct & Dec.

I've been to most of them since mid 2014 and could sure use some help in attending these important meetings.

Thank you,

Bill
Are these meeting still taking place?

DNR - Department of Natural Resources
Trail Advisory Group Meeting (T.A.G.)
DNR - Pacific Cascade Region - South

Every other month - First Thursday's (Feb - Apr - Jun - Aug - Oct - Dec)

Time: 6:00 PM. – 8:00 p.m.

21609 NE 72nd Avenue
Battle Ground, WA 98604

Hosted by:
Department of Natural Resources
Pacific Cascade Region South
Recreation Staff

All interested users of the Yacolt Burn State Forest are welcome to attend the DNR Trail Advisory Group meeting.

This is a group of motorized, non-motorized and conservationists of the forest who work cooperatively to maintain and improve all recreational opportunities on State lands in Southwest Washington.

Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting and get more involved with preserving all types of outdoor recreation for everyone to enjoy for today and many years to come...

Rex Hapala
Recreation and Natural Areas District Manager
Pacific Cascade Region
Washington Department of Natural Resources
Castle Rock, WA 98611-0280
(360) 575-5048
[email protected]
www.dnr.wa.gov

Next meeting is Thurs Feb 4th, 2016

Time: 6:00 PM. – 8:00 p.m.

21609 NE 72nd Avenue
Battle Ground, WA 98604

Hosted by:
Department of Natural Resources
Pacific Cascade Region South
Recreation Staff

I'll talk about the clean up schedule, the start of our Info Booth program in Yacolt Burn and we will all be discussing the upcoming "Pick Up The Burn" clean up (Scheduled for April 30th).

Care to join me?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads