JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That looks like Elk crap if I had to wager a guess. I have seen lots and lots of bear crap in many different environments and have never seen it look like that.

It could also be deer crap too I suppose but I would think you'd still be able to hear the deer screaming. ..

OH! OH! OH!! What about sasquach?

Bear--one on a grassy diet. When they get into berry's etc it looks just like human poop.

beardroppingKinsleyP200x2.jpg

That looks like Elk crap if I had to wager a guess. I have seen lots and lots of bear crap in many different environments and have never seen it look like that.

It could also be deer crap too I suppose but I would think you'd still be able to hear the deer screaming. ..

OH! OH! OH!! What about sasquach?

We've had deer in our area/yard for years - I've never seen their crap look like this - but that doesn't mean it couldn't be deer. Now elk, I don't think I've ever heard of them in our area, but who knows - two years ago, we had 2 wild turkeys hanging around our yard for about 2 weeks. Never know what you may see.

Sasquatch did cross my mind, but my own skepticism about his existence would probably keep him away :(

So far, it looks like about a 50/50 split between deer and bear. I'll try ringing up ODFW this week and see what they think. Chances are, as long as no one has a good food source avaialble for them, that it's just passing through and will move on somewhere else.

Most likely bear.

I came across very similar scat just a few days ago across the road.

During bear season their scat can look a lot more human, except it will be much more black and have berry seeds in it, and often not as firm.

We have at least one bear around here, it has been seen crossing the roads. We also have cougar (a mother and cub were seen last year) and coyote and deer. Where there is deer and forest and fewer humans, you will find coyote and cougar and bears. All I have personally seen have been the coyotes (I hear them often at night) and possum and rabbits and deer (which I see frequently).

Im missing Oregon bear hunting with all this talk. I've scene my fair share of bear, but it looks like elk to me.
The circumference is needed to tell if it's a bear. It's it near the size of a pop can? Maybe a little smaller even?

Was hunting deer one year and came across a small orchard of plums. Walking up the road from the orchard I saw bear scat that had to be torture to the bear as he passed the plum pits. Bout every 20 feet there was a pile of pits...

Im missing Oregon bear hunting with all this talk. I've scene my fair share of bear, but it looks like elk to me.
The circumference is needed to tell if it's a bear. It's it near the size of a pop can? Maybe a little smaller even?

I'm just south of Oregon City, I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of elk in the area, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

I would say smaller than a pop can - maybe 2 1/2-3" diameter max. I don't know my bear droppings, so I don't know if that would be too small, or maybe could be from a juvenile?

It's been a busy weekend for the wildlife around here this weekend. Not only do we have the mystery feces, but this morning I saw a hawk swoop down and try to grab another small bird - the hawks here are rarely seen at ground level, so this was a treat - he was all of 15 feet from me - something to see.

Then, about 30 minutes later, I hear a loud crash, followed by a bunch of stuff dropping out of one of our trees, then a loud thump. I got up to look closer and spotted a raccoon that had fallen, quite a distance, out of one of our trees. He had to have fallen at least 20 feet if not further. It rattled his cage, but he eventually climbed back up the tree - probably really embarrassed.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top