JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm just south of Oregon City, I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of elk in the area, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

I would say smaller than a pop can - maybe 2 1/2-3" diameter max. I don't know my bear droppings, so I don't know if that would be too small, or maybe could be from a juvenile?
My buddy lives in molalla, he's got elk in his yard.

They lasted two weeks?

Yep. At first we thought they were someone's local escaped pets. We eventually checked in with ODFW who confirmed they were wild. They said we weren't allowed to kill them. Though I had a friend who was a bow hunter that offered to remove them. He was coming out and they left on their own the day before. He was bummed.

I think someone beat you to dinner.

I wouldn't doubt it. I never heard any shots in the area, but there are plenty of hunters around, and no doubt some are bow hunters too.

BTW, my first interaction with wild turkeys - quite possibly the stupidest animal I've ever met. Watching the two of them interact, get stuck up in a tree and on the roof - it was like watching Laurel and Hardy.

Those are 3 1/2 inches across so you have some lea way.1 of these years I'll actually get to go turkey hunting again.
I moved to the only part of Idaho without any turkeys

Okay, I put the photo in front of a hunter buddy today, I didn't tell him what I thought it might be - he immediately said "elk". I suppose we could have them here, though I've never seen one. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if the piles appear again.

Crazy stuff. I could never be that accurate with a bow. Good thing I don't try to hunt with one.

etrain16... That reminds me of when I was living my dream, on Twenty Acres, Republic, WA area...

We had Two Geese.

Got out of their pens.

Could not capture them, so I decided I would use my Ten22.

Now, I am not bragging, but I call letters on soda cans, can head shoot squirrels.

Not wanting to damage Meat, I was going for a head shot. Miss. Head Shot. Miss, repeat, repeat & repeat ... I finally decided that a Goose could move its head, at the sound of an approaching bullet, because, Dawg Gone it, I don't know How to MISS, with that rifle! (Custom Tuned Trigger, smooth as Glass pull)

That's my Story, and I am Sticking With it...

:confused:

philip :D

Last Edited:
Put out a salt lick block and you will see all sorts of tracks and scat around it.
A trail cam might be fun to watch what shows up.

Last Edited:
Put out a salt lick block and you will see all sorts of tacks and scat around it.
A trail cam might be fun to watch what shows up.

I've talked to the wife about getting a model that works in the dark. I have a feeling we get a lot of visitors late at night - I'd love to see what passes through.

I want to get a trail cam too.

I know I get night visitors; I have some lights outside that are motion sensor activated and they turn frequently. Unfortunately I can't easily see what is turning them on as I have vegetation in an island my driveway goes around and the light is on the other side of that island, and the light isn't that bright (battery operated).

I know I have deer - I see them during the day.

I've talked to the wife about getting a model that works in the dark. I have a feeling we get a lot of visitors late at night - I'd love to see what passes through.
You will be amazed. Raccoon, Opossum and Skunk, along with every cat in a 1/4 mile radius will show up.
Those along with deer and coyote are creatures of the night. Infra-red trail cameras are relatively cheap.
I've had OK success with Moultrie and Bushnell. Stay away from Wild Game Innovations. I've tried 3 of
them---2 either would not take pictures or sucked batteries dry overnight.

ETA---This is what happens when I rely on my memory. The cameras I had poor luck with are
WILDVIEW, not Wild Game Innovation. No experience with Wild Game at all---they could very well be fine equipment.

Last Edited:
I want to get a trail cam too.

I know I get night visitors; I have some lights outside that are motion sensor activated and they turn frequently. Unfortunately I can't easily see what is turning them on as I have vegetation in an island my driveway goes around and the light is on the other side of that island, and the light isn't that bright (battery operated).

I know I have deer - I see them during the day.

One thing I'd really like to know is what's been digging holes all over my yard - these aren't mole mounds, I'm very familiar with those - these are open holes, that remain open at all times. I'm thinking ground squirrel or something like that? But I never have seen what goes into or comes out of those holes. I'd really like to know.

You will be amazed. Raccoon, Opossum and Skunk, along with every cat in a 1/4 mile radius will show up.
Those along with deer and coyote are creatures of the night. Infra-red trail cameras are relatively cheap.
I've had OK success with Moultrie and Bushnell. Stay away from Wild Game Innovations. I've tried 3 of
them---2 either would not take pictures or sucked batteries dry overnight.

I know we get raccoon, possum and skunk - we see them from time to time. And lots and lots of neighbor cats. I'm curious what else is out there though. Could be interesting.

Thanks for the info on the cameras. I was looking at a StealthCam on Amazon - seems to have plenty of good ratings - HD video, IR LED's for night photos. Price seems reasonable, but I don't know the brand myself:

81vtCJc7uNL._SL1500_.jpg

I have holes in the ground too - like a dog has been digging for something, which isn't surprising as I have two neighbor dogs come over from time to time.

I mostly don't mind - most of the holes aren't in the yard itself, and one of the dogs is a good watchdog and let's strangers know they aren't supposed to be there and if I am around she lets me know they are there. She makes her patrol rounds through the neighborhood usually several times a day.

With the trail cams,I would look at the ones with the remote card holder? Then if you have intruders and they steal or damage the camera,the card is at a different location and you still get the pics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top