JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That's no typo - I'm looking for some help identifying some animal droppings I found in our yard today. We have regular visits from all types of local animals, deer being the largest we see. I've gotten pretty used to identifying the deer droppings. But today I found a pile that doesn't look like any of the deer droppings I've seen before - and this is too large to be anything small.

So, faced with unknown feces, I took a photo with my size 13 shoe next to it for a size comparison. I did some checking online for some of the larger animals native to this part of Oregon (Willamette valley, just south of Portland). My first thought was to black bear or cougar. Looking online, it would appear to me that this pile could be one of two animals: deer or black bear. And the photos I saw would indicate the bear may be the more likely. I know the deer droppings can clump, but one photo online in particular, from a bear, looked almost identical in size and shape to what I found.

Knowing there are some more knowledgeable folks than myself on this forum that can possibly identify this, I wanted to run it by you and see what you think. Does it look like deer or a small black bear? If it's bear, should I be concerned? We're semi-rural, but not that far out, so it's not something I would expect to see here.

Thoughts?

IMG_5294.JPG

The only thing better than a raccoon thread is a bear thread. Bear threads are at the tippy top. This is true.
What you need is a .460 Weatherby magnum throwing 300's at 4100. Those 200lber's are fierce!

The only thing better than a raccoon thread is a bear thread. Bear threads are at the tippy top. This is true.
What you need is a .460 Weatherby magnum throwing 300's at 4100. Those 200lber's are fierce!

Well there was the thread recently that showed iraqveteran8888 shooting a .454 casull through a 20 gauge shotgun. That might just work :eek:

Well, if it's a coon, I'll call .40calruler - he seems to have a handle on the dangerous beasts.

If it's an elusive bear-pig, well that's a different story. I may need a bigger boat...

Darn right...I named mine....Bob....Bob would not figure out not to come around. Now Bob RIP.

Obituary- Bob was a good Raccoon. He was every bit as cute as every other Raccoon. Unfortunately Bob started going after dogs in 40calrulers neighborhood. Now here lies Bob.

May he RIP and climb many trees without being hosed because of @Just Jim and by 40calruler.

Ok I am going to finish my kids fort now.....Clearly I am just typing to avoid doing more work today.

When in doubt, try tasting a small sample.
If it's from a deer, it will taste like venison.
If it's from a bear, then it will taste like, well, what a bear tastes like.

Deer poo.
If they are eating some nice green grassy stuff they will poo like this and not just pellets.
I thought this thread was going to be about Constipation and advice on how to clear the plug. :s0107:Those turds are either from a healthy Bear eating a high fiber diet and having a ''Regular'' bowel movement:s0023: or a ''Very'' plugged up Deer. :s0098:Place a dozen Prunes in the general area and if at least half of them are gone, the culprit would be a Constipated Deer. :s0155:If it turns out to be a Bear, well then I am ''Full of S*%#'':s0036:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top