JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to do this on my lunch break, pics are not that great either. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew what this scope is worth? I am reading this right off of the scope as it is in my hand. Leupold VARI-X III 3.5X10. I believe I dont have a rifle as of right now that this thing should be on, not sure if I should look into findig one or maybe selling the scope. Any input that anyone might have, would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!!!!

IMG_20111228_123819.jpg

IMG_20111228_123922.jpg

I don't know if they still make the VARI-X 3 3.5 X 10 with target knobs anymore, but the 4.5 X 14 with target knobs runs just shy of $600 in Midway's catalog. I have no idea what used value is, but scopes, even good ones, tend to lose quite a bit of value when used.

I don't know if they still make the VARI-X 3 3.5 X 10 with target knobs anymore, but the 4.5 X 14 with target knobs runs just shy of $600 in Midway's catalog. I have no idea what used value is, but scopes, even good ones, tend to lose quite a bit of value when used.

Maybe half that? $300 is what I paid for a nicer 3X9 with a 40? 44?mm objective? (not a 50)
You should get plenty of response on that as they are very nice scopes

they don't make those anymore. pretty sure the black ring means it was their "tactical" scope at the time. these were the predecessor to the Mark 4 tactical scopes scopes.
probably worth 300-400

$400 would be a good asking price, with the understanding that this is a somewhat specialized scope, and so potential buyers are less plentiful. Appears to be a 1" tube, and does not appear to be a 50mm objective (which is good from a selling standpoint). bulzeye is correct about the black ring signifying tactical application. This is the perfect scope for someone with a military/tactical bolt gun in .308, or a fat-barreled AR.

Thanks guys!!!! I know that it was in use for a tactical rifle, still had heavy picatinny scope mounts on it when I got it. Your guys input and knowledge has been very helpful.

I have to wonder....
I've seen guys selling a used (of any vintage) VXI 3-9x40 and getting $200 (or nearly) for it when a new one is about $40 more. I've also seen used upper level Leupolds being advertised for about 10-15% less than brand new. Granted the 3-9X40 is very popular, but this one shouldn't be a tough sell.
I believe the high resale prices have to do with the Leupold quality and exceptional guarantee.
If this scope would cost $600 new (or something like it would) I couldn't see asking less than $400 for it.

$400. sounds like a reasonable price for a used VARI-X III. Beware of some you may see on-line, as there are many counterfeits floating around. The black rings are on tactical models. Leupold sells many scopes to the military (ours and some allies) and not all agree on what "tactical" means.

(I'm a former Leupold employee, but not in sales or marketing.)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews