JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A very good friend passed a few years ago, a great guy and an excellent hunting partner. Recently his

daughter has decided to begin thinking about his gun collection and she asked my help. And so I've

been working with her to help where I can. Now many years ago a friend had a Kimber .22 and I've

shot that. But that was my only Kimber experience. I live about 3 miles from where Kimber was

located in Clackamas. Anyway, one of his guns was, I thought, a bit unusual. Its a model 89BGR.

It's in .338 Wim Mag and has never been shot. The left side of the barrel is roll marked "Clackamas,

OR., followed by Colton, OR. S/N SF6XXX. My question is: Is the Colton rollmark common for

Clackamas Kimbers? Any help is certainly appreciated. And as of now, this gun is not for sale..

A very good friend passed a few years ago, a great guy and an excellent hunting partner. Recently his

daughter has decided to begin thinking about his gun collection and she asked my help. And so I've

been working with her to help where I can. Now many years ago a friend had a Kimber .22 and I've

shot that. But that was my only Kimber experience. I live about 3 miles from where Kimber was

located in Clackamas. Anyway, one of his guns was, I thought, a bit unusual. Its a model 89BGR.

It's in .338 Wim Mag and has never been shot. The left side of the barrel is roll marked "Clackamas,

OR., followed by Colton, OR. S/N SF6XXX. My question is: Is the Colton rollmark common for

Clackamas Kimbers? Any help is certainly appreciated. And as of now, this gun is not for sale..
Rich,
Go to Rimfire Central, and pose your question in the Kimber forum. Many things Kimber can be discovered there.
👍👍👍👍👍
Best,
Gary

Being this is a centerfire rifle, Rimfire Central might not give good info.

According to wikipedia, Jack Warne, Kimber founder, acquired a second manufacturing facility in Colton. This would have happened about the time the BGR was introduced, and is likely the reason of the bankruptcy. (My opinion)

The BGR, like all of the Clackamas Kimbers is a great rifle. My opinion of the "new" Kimber isn't quite the same.

Being this is a centerfire rifle, Rimfire Central might not give good info.

According to wikipedia, Jack Warne, Kimber founder, acquired a second manufacturing facility in Colton. This would have happened about the time the BGR was introduced, and is likely the reason of the bankruptcy. (My opinion)

The BGR, like all of the Clackamas Kimbers is a great rifle. My opinion of the "new" Kimber isn't quite the same.
Well, they will certainly not give bad info, and if one does not check it out, one will never know.
Best,
Gary

If I remember right, it was because different parts if the rifle were made in both Clackamas and Colton, so they gave credit to both locations.

The most important part about the Colton Kimber 89s were the stocks. It is said the finest stocks for those rifles were crafted in Colton, to the point where a knowledgeable person can tell just by looking at the stock.

Last Edited:
If I remember right, it was because different parts if the rifle were made in both Clackamas and Colton, so they gave credit to both locations.

The most important part about the Colton Kimber 89s were the stocks. It is said the finest stocks for those rifles were crafted in Colton, to the point were a knowledgeable person can tell just by looking at the stock.
Dennis Smith, known as The Stock Doctor, formerly in charge of the stock department at K of O, is a frequent poster at Rimfire Central.
If I recall his present location is in Tygh Valley.

Best,
Gary

The most important part about the Colton Kimber 89s were the stocks. It is said the finest stocks for those rifles were crafted in Colton, to the point where a knowledgeable person can tell just by looking at the stock.
Thank you. The stock is truly beautiful as well as the checkering.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top