JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been requested to have a sit down meeting with one of my State senators here in Washington State in regards to gun control. This senator is NOT a supporter of the Second Amendment in regards to its true nature. He feels "assault guns" and "high-capacity" mags are bad, etc… With this being said, he is willing, and wants to hear my side of the debate. I would like to be able to go in with all my ducks in a row and show him that gun owners are not a bunch of bumbling idiots. It would be great if I could collect facts, statistcs…anything that will help us out as a whole. Anything I get, I want to have good, reliable sources to back them up and not just rely on hearsay. Can you all help me out by emailing me any and all documents you might have. Things like spreadsheets, statistics, figures, graphs, pictures…whatever. You can email me any and all to [email protected] Thank you everyone!
John

Stick with Washington State specific data. I put this together using only info available from our state agencies. I'd be happy to provide you with the master data along with all of the source material from the state. Since you have an idea of what you want to present simply tell me and I'll can put together the presentation data you need along with the relevant source material.

Keep in mind this is just a small sample focusing on a single information set. The actual data available allows for a significant infograph, depending on what you want to present.
Infographic: Washington State Firearm Statistics | infogr.am

Stick with Washington State specific data. I put this together using only info available from our state agencies. I'd be happy to provide you with the master data along with all of the source material from the state. Since you have an idea of what you want to present simply tell me and I'll can put together the presentation data you need along with the relevant source material.

Keep in mind this is just a small sample focusing on a single information set. The actual data available allows for a significant infograph, depending on what you want to present.
Infographic: Washington State Firearm Statistics | infogr.am

Thanks you!!! Good idea with keeping to as much Washington state data as possible.

SCORE!

My mistake with the GA legislator I insulted (without knowing until later) came from me holding him in too-high of a re-guard, and I thought he was kidding (like any GI would kid around about not knowing technical data on body armor).

This guy knew little or nothing about body armor (old RBA) and I thought his questions were a slippery slope, and I replied accordingly.

So, if you haven't already, find a way to ascertain and keep in mine exactly what your legislator already knows and doesn't know; you many not have to end-up wearing the same chevrons on your collar/sleeves for the rest of your career.............

Good luck and thank you!

I have been requested to have a sit down meeting with one of my State senators here in Washington State in regards to gun control. This senator is NOT a supporter of the Second Amendment in regards to its true nature. He feels "assault guns" and "high-capacity" mags are bad, etc... With this being said, he is willing, and wants to hear my side of the debate. I would like to be able to go in with all my ducks in a row and show him that gun owners are not a bunch of bumbling idiots. It would be great if I could collect facts, statistcs...anything that will help us out as a whole. Anything I get, I want to have good, reliable sources to back them up and not just rely on hearsay. Can you all help me out by emailing me any and all documents you might have. Things like spreadsheets, statistics, figures, graphs, pictures...whatever. You can email me any and all to [email protected] Thank you everyone!
John

Don't get to ingrained trying to work on statistics...have some good ones to counter the anti's lies, but don't push on that.

IMHO, you need to point out that the US Supreme Court, in Heller V DC stated that the weapons that were protected by the 2A wre those that are in "Common Use" With the AR platform, there are something over 16 million out there, and 30 round magizines are what they come standard with so 30 round AR magizines are not "high cap", they are "standard cap".

I would think that it would be reasonable to assume that the standard issue magazine, in a "common use" weapon would be also covered by the 2A.

As for semi-auto pistols, they are the hottest selling item in the gun store, and they com standard with 10 to 30 round magizines. Again, they are in Common use, and the STANDARD capacity magazine for these "in common use weapons" can again be up to 30+ rounds, so a common weapon with a standard issue magizine, I would think would also be covered by the 2A..and I would also expect all of the above to be covered by Article 1 Section 24 of the Washington State constitution.

They can write all the legislation they want, but they MUST be within the boundries of the State and Federal Constitution.

Just my approach

A little late to be adding prep for tomorrow's meeting but something to add to everyone's pile o' info. From Article 1 of the WA State Constitution.

SECTION 2 SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND. The Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the land.
SECTION 3 PERSONAL RIGHTS. No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.
SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

Maybe ask.... "Why don't you lead by example? Have your body guards and security turn in thier weapons. Show the American people that it is OK to be unarmed and unprotected.

They might start to think differently?

It's a shot.

Good luck with your meeting!

Yes, meeting is still on for tomorrow. I've got a good idea of how I am going to go with it and just hope it goes good! I will let everyone know how it goes

The military uses 30 round magazines for a reason, they don't jam.
Aurora: The shooter used large capacity magazines that are notorious for jamming, it jammed.
Arizona: The shooter used a large capacity magazine and was disarmed when he dropped it while reloading. Those magazines are large, heavy, and unwieldy, no wonder he dropped it.

With practice, a shooter can reload fast enough to prevent a possible disarming by an unarmed individual. The fastest revolver reload occurs in 2.9 seconds. 12 shots fired from a revolver in 2.9 seconds.

I actually never looked at it like this, and now THIS has to be my favorite argument against banning large cap magazines (I'm basically rewording solv3nt quote here);
High capacity magazines are large and heavy, making them somewhat difficult to handle. The chance to fumble and drop a large capacity magazine is more likely in high stress situations.
If you reduce its weight and size by reducing the number of rounds it holds, it makes them considerably easier to handle and hold securely. In turn, the user is less likely to drop smaller magazines and often, faster to reload.​

Doesn't that make sense?
Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I was going to mention the Washington Constitution too, but leecow beat me to it xD (3 posts back)

GL tomorrow!

Wow, this is really cool. Some unsolicited last minute debate advice:

-Be careful not to waste too much time on trying to educate him on the nuances of how guns work, they don't care about that.
-Avoid going into history and how fascism/Nazi's were gun grabbers. See Godwins Law if you are not familiar with why this is a bad move.
-Focus on facts of law (you've got lots of great input on the thread)
-Be clear that the focus needs to be on violent crime, not just gun violence. According to stats, if all guns were 'magic'd away' there would still be an epidemic of violent crime, in fact data supports that violent crime increases when guns are removed from both good and bad guys.

IMO, the real agenda is that they are not so much anti-gun as they are anti-white rural males, they think we are all racist criminals.

Good luck, don't have any expectations to change his mind. Only that you have an opportunity to make a point that he may be misinformed.

Please stop using the anti's terminology...guns are not violent people are.

Yesterday I read an article that was about "gun caused suicide" (it was a followup to the Mindy McCready suicide) No gun has EVER CAUSED a suicide...just as no gun have ever CAUSED violence.

I get what you are saying, but you have to speak enough of their language to get them to follow what you are trying to communicate to them. I don't allow them to use the term 'gun violence' and instead redirect them to 'violent crime.' Getting them to switch to this scope undermines everything they have. Ie, lead them out on the branch before you cut it off. Paint it like this, 'you are against gun violence, but what about all the other violence?' then trot out some violent crime stats that are always way worse than what they have. Then ask them, 'why don't you seem to care about the larger problem?' It's the same tactic they use by standing on the graves of dead kids and shouting 'never again.'

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top