JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 99% complete AR build, but can't seem to move past a single item roadblock… installing the gas tube into the gas block. The issue is getting a roll pin to drive through the small hole at the top of the block. I've tried crimping or sanding the end of the roll pin to help get it started, and it does….but when I try to get it to budge further, the roll pins will either start to bend, or smash. I am using a roll pin starter and a vice block

So after countless YouTube videos, 4 ruined pins, 2 trips to Mazamas for Aero AR fix it kits I'm now at a frustration point lol my questions are…does anyone have any best practices to share? Or is there anyone local in Eugene area that can help install? im happy to pay cash.

Ps. Yes I know there are gunsmiths locally, but wait lists are several weeks long, so hoping to find amateur peer assistance.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

I tape the end of the jaws on some needle nose pliers (so as not to scratch) and use them as a "press". Get it started, then adjust it down a little more, press, then line everything up, adjust and press some more, then final press. Has worked for all of my builds.

Might be a bur or defect in either the block or the tube... 5/64" drill bit will ensure the hole size is correct. Make sure you're using the proper 5/64" x 1/4" roll pins as well.

Be sure to keep that drill straight. Do not wiggle the bit side to side as that can open the hole too much and cause a sloppy fit for the roll pin.

Might be a bur or defect in either the block or the tube... 5/64" drill bit will ensure the hole size is correct. Make sure you're using the proper 5/64" x 1/4" roll pins as well.

Be sure to keep that drill straight. Do not wiggle the bit side to side as that can open the hole too much and cause a sloppy fit for the roll pin.
Many thanks for the added details and sizing.

I use a 5/64 starter punch (hollow tip), then smooth jaw parallel pliers to finish (Irwin or Knipex, pic below). Use a slave pin to keep the tube aligned when starting with the punch. Unless it's a FSB, tube gets installed to the gas block on the bench.

Irwin-Vise-Grip-Pliers-Wrench.jpg

I have a 99% complete AR build, but can't seem to move past a single item roadblock… installing the gas tube into the gas block. The issue is getting a roll pin to drive through the small hole at the top of the block. I've tried crimping or sanding the end of the roll pin to help get it started, and it does….but when I try to get it to budge further, the roll pins will either start to bend, or smash. I am using a roll pin starter and a vice block

So after countless YouTube videos, 4 ruined pins, 2 trips to Mazamas for Aero AR fix it kits I'm now at a frustration point lol my questions are…does anyone have any best practices to share? Or is there anyone local in Eugene area that can help install? im happy to pay cash.

Ps. Yes I know there are gunsmiths locally, but wait lists are several weeks long, so hoping to find amateur peer assistance.

Don't drill anything. use a roll pin punch. you can buy a cheap set off of amazon for like $12 or a set of wheeler roll pin punches for $20-$25. never drill anything out. if you don't know what you are doing then bring it to a gunsmith, they shouldn't charge you more than $20 to install the roll pin into the gas block with the gas tube. but using a roll pin punch is the easiest. one side of the roll pin is crimped more than the other.

I have had this problem too. One thing that helped me with roll pins is a set of 3 inch security bits from harbor freight. They look like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-security-bit-set-32-pc-68460.html

The roll pin will fit inside the center holes of one of these bits. For the short gas tube roll pin about half of the pin will sit inside the bit. Once you pound it in half way, then finish it off with your standard roll pin punch. Very slightly enlarging the beginning of the gas block hole is a good idea too.

This task gave me fits before discovering the security bit set.

What are you resting the gas block on when trying to pound the pin in?

Can you post pic of the hole on your roll pin starter punch with roll pin sitting in it? And pic of "vice block" you are setting gas block in?

You really don't want to drill the gas block or sand/crimp the roll pin or it's just going to walk out on you down the road.

Since your able to get the pin started and then hanging up I'd bet you're either not driving the pin in straight, or not keeping the gas tube lined up. Pictures would defiantly be helpful. Using a vice to support your gas block while installing your gas tube roll pin doesn't sound right. Maybe you meant a bench block?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top