Oregon Rifleworks
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Southwest Firearms Forum
Sporting Systems

Need help with drilling Pins for A2 gasblock

Reactions
So I bought a really nice colt 6940 as a police trade in. But they chopped the barrel to 10”. So I bought a new 16” 6940 barrel to swap it. And the special barrel nut tool. But the folding gasblock needs to be swapped onto it. With everywhere closed right now, I was wondering if anybody in the Puyallup/Spanaway area could help me out? I don’t have the tools to do this unfortunately. Appreciate any help or guidance.

titsonritz

Reactions
+1
If you don't have the tools, the implied message is this is not something you are familiar with (i.e. you don't wrench on things).
It's an easy one to FUBAR, badly. Since you are in Puyallup, recommend you find a local resource and wait.
It's beyond that, I have a Pelican 1660 full of AR specific tools and I wouldn't do it. Installing an FSB to a new barrel requires a very specific and often very expensive jig to do the job right.

DirectDrive

Reactions
So I bought a really nice colt 6940 as a police trade in. But they chopped the barrel to 10”. So I bought a new 16” 6940 barrel to swap it. And the special barrel nut tool. But the folding gasblock needs to be swapped onto it. With everywhere closed right now, I was wondering if anybody in the Puyallup/Spanaway area could help me out? I don’t have the tools to do this unfortunately. Appreciate any help or guidance.
As stated, it's a specialized operation to do what you want.
Rainier Arms in Auburn can do this work, but they could be shut down.

Is this "folding gasblock" worth saving ?
Why did you buy a 6940 barrel ?
Does the new barrel have an FSB (A-frame) on it ?

titsonritz

Reactions
As stated, it's a specialized operation to do what you want.
Rainier Arms in Auburn can do this work, but they could be shut down.

Is this "folding gasblock" worth saving ?
Why did you buy a 6940 barrel ?
Does the new barrel have an FSB (A-frame) on it ?
All legit $$$

OP
F
Reactions
The gasblock is definitely worth saving. I bought a 6940 barrel because standard AR barrels do not work with colts monolithic rail upper. I’ll just wait and send it in to somebody like Rainier

DirectDrive

Reactions
The gasblock is definitely worth saving. I bought a 6940 barrel because standard AR barrels do not work with colts monolithic rail upper. I’ll just wait and send it in to somebody like Rainier
How is a 6940 barrel different from a garden variety AR barrel ?
Just wondering.

It's beyond that, I have a Pelican 1660 full of AR specific tools and I wouldn't do it. Installing an FSB to a new barrel requires a very specific and often very expensive jig to do the job right.
Not to Hijack the thread, @titsonritz , completely agree. I was not even thinking about sight alignment -- I was just thinking of fubar'd stuff I've seen when people tried to pin them in place -- not just on rifles. The telltale sign is the tracks of the drill bit wandering across a curved surface, keyways that have been hammered on, etc.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    I enjoy this local indoor range, they have lots of fun guns to rent and try out. They also have a gun store if you want to purchase something.
    • wa2020
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is a great guy to work with! I have had several transactions with him and will continue to do business with him. He is my go to dealer!
    • hker71
  • Straight Shooter Supply
    1.00 star(s)
    A relative of mine recently went through this place to purchase a handgun. They were rude to her, lied to her, and must be new to this FFL stuff...
    • FullMetalJerk
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is great. Easy to deal with, super low prices on his transfers.
    • DizzyJ
    5.00 star(s)
    Had my first transaction with Steve and will be recommending him to anyone in my circle. Good guy with a really helpful attitude and goes the...
    • SonnyJim

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS