JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey fellas, I have a cool little Mauser chambered in 300 savage I need help with. I'm trying to identify it and its potential value. Thanks
223AFE61-ED82-4805-8CE5-61FF2386ED12.jpeg 38E2C084-EDB8-4DE1-8156-812EB818A645.jpeg F9CAC75D-2FDF-421C-99D6-F8437DF44D17.jpeg D1B4403D-2745-4062-A9E3-CBA7CBD0F6B2.jpeg CBB452F0-EE54-42DA-A07E-8224709973D5.jpeg

Looks like a very nicely sporterized 1893 or 1895 Mauser.
As for value or worth....bore condition will play a role here....
As well as interest in the workmanship of the sporterizing job.
Andy

Edit to add...
@MountainBear
He outta know more 'bout this sorta thing...:D

I haven't measured the action, but it seems to be a short action, not a standard length like most mausers I've seen.
I'm no Mauser pro, but I thought there were two Mauser action lengths, a standard action, which would be considered a magnum length action for round like .375 H&H and .404 Jeffery...and an intermediate action the was closer in length to a standard length action for rounds like .30-06, 7mm Mauser, etc. and there is nor what we would call a short action. Again, no pro so I could be mistaken.

I'm no expert either, but I remember seeing a Kurz action before and was told that was a short action Mauser..?

Mauser ID:

and:

Bruce

So is the Kurz action a non-military / sporter thing?

Lots of good info, Thanks Gentlemen. I'll have to start taking some measurements. I'm also not saying it's a Kurz action, just saying that at a glance it seemed kinda short.

It was (and is) quite common for custom gunmakers to shorten a standard-length Mauser action (cutting and re-welding). The Kurz actions (real ones) are awfully unusual, and that is the reason for this practice done by even some of the best builders. It is done VERY well by the experienced to the extent the cut/weld becomes invisible and the action is at least as strong as it was originally.

Harry Lawson in Arizona (who built guns for Lee Marvin, Chuck Connors and other notables back in the day) was very good at this.

Generally, custom guns are worth their very most when they are sold to the original owner by the builder. If the builder can be established (and is of some reputation), then this gun would appeal to the buyer knowledgeable in that maker's work. It has something going for it, in that it is chambered in a domestic caliber (as opposed to an exotic European one). The .300 Savage was the first "short fat/sharp shouldered" cartridge, WAY ahead of its time and to this day is a stellar performer on all North American game.

The filled in slot for the claw mount hurts the value to an extent, and probably was done to make the receiver peep operational toward a view of the front sight.

A wonderful example of gunmaker's work, complete with double-set triggers! For someone that appreciates such things, she's got a couple good hunts left in 'er, while her stories can only be imagined.

Can anyone tell where and when this was originally made by the markings?
.300 Savage was introduced in 1920. So the custom gun birthdate (not the action) is later than that. Appears to be an Oberndorf action from what is remaining of the receiver stamp (that's a good thing).

Disassembly may reveal other stampings (perhaps some by the gunsmith), and parading it on a Mauser website may produce further details, based on serial numbers, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top