JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An 85 year old friend called me and said he inherited an ak-47 years ago. It is almost new. Here is the problem. He thinks it is full auto. He doesn't want to get into trouble, but he wants to sell it. It is not registered. The question is how does he legally sell it? In case anyone starts to wonder, he won't sell it private and I have never seen it, nor do I know where it is, so please don't ask for his name. I would appreciate any advice. He is a good guy and trying to do the right thing.

If it is full auto, and not "transferable" he is screwed. There is no legal sale potential.
I would tell him to lose it. Seriously. I would first verify it is full auto though. This may be all a mole hill after all.

I would part it out and destroy the receiver and perhaps the fire control group.. Though those are legal to "sell".

Reporting it to the ATF or local leo is just going to eff him over even though he would be trying to do the "right thing". As cool as it would be to have one, As cool as it would be to have one, the risk of having an unregistered full auto is just not worth it.

Take off all the parts, cut the reciever down the middle once stripped. Sell off all the parts as a kit
Has he shot it yet? If he is an older gentleman? his eyes might not be too great ..

As the others said if it's truly a FA gun, unpapered there is nothing he can do with it aside from turning it over for destruction or as ZA says make it into a parts kit and destroy and dispose of the receiver bits

Not saying svg4 is part of a sting operation but the advice he has been given sure would disappoint them if he was a plant.

Turn it in or destroy the receiver. Not what the antigun propaganda would have you believe goes on in these gun forums.

No offence to the OP, I'm sure he's probably on the up and up!

Lot's of AK experts here. Maybe they can give some detailed info on what a select fire AK looks like. Here's a pic off the net of what I think may be a select fire.
Does the fact that it is there always mean it is functional or have some of these been deactivated?
upload_2015-9-15_17-20-6.png

A few things...

Go to ArfCom and read this sticky - Armory\General Class 3\So you found an MG in the attic .....

A few questions too-
Why does he think it's full auto?
If it is full auto, what makes him think it's not registered?
You say it was inherited, if it was registered- in theory it could have transferred tax free on a form 5, could be done on a form 4 as well but that's $200. If he just got it, and it is full auto- then he's already breaking the law. :(
If it was full auto, and not registered, I certainly wouldn't be asking about it in public. Does he own a boat? ;)

Good luck!

Remove the offending parts, replace them with legit parts and roll on.
Wrong. Semi auto AKs only have 2 pivot pins, one for the trigger and one for the hammer. Full auto receivers have 3 pivot pins, hammer, trigger & full auto sear. ATF cosiders any AK receiver with 3 pivot pin holes to be a full auto receiver/gun. Google the images.

Also, you can NOT go by the selector markings. Guys that build AKs sometimes add the detent for "full auto" so thier gun looks authentic. But a detent on the selector doesn't make it a full auto gun. It must have the third pivot pin & auto sear.

I'd call a dealer that can deals in full auto guns IF it has the third pivot pin. Prior to 1986 you could apply for a tax stamp and modify your semiauto AK to full auto just like you do with a SBR or SBS now.

From a dollar stand point: Chopped up parts kit = $400, nice semi auto AK = $600 - $800, transferable full auto AK = $30,000.

This post is worth what you paid for it on the internet.

Don

pic of the gun would help....

best case, assuming its a MG, de-mil it and destroy the receiver, build it into semi....worst case, turn it in and it gets destroyed

Here's a pic showing the location of the third pin.
Years ago, there were some Chinese imports that had the third pin hole and an easily removed rivet plug.
The ATF scrambled to recall all of them that had entered the country. They retrieved most of them, but not all.

upload_2015-9-16_7-33-59.jpeg

Lots of folks confuse an SKS with an AK47.
Seriously, this may be a case of the individual being unfamiliar with the type.

Changing a receiver on an AK is not like an AR. You would need a $100 flat bending fixture to go with that AK receiver flat. Plus a $10 rivet set. Did I mention the rails & pivot pin holes need to be heat treated? Or you could buy a Nodak Spud receiver, $100. Still need the rivet set.

Add another $200 for build tools. Barrel needs to be pressed out of the front trunnion. Front & rear trunnions and trigger guard need to be riveted to the new receiver. Barrel needs to be pressed back in & headspacing verified. Oh yeah, you need a hydralic press.

Then your new semi auto AK is worth about the value of the parts kit you started with. No one wants some one's first build.

Or you could send it off and have an AK smith build it for you. About $350 and 6 weeks to 6 months later your gun would be ready to sell. Local gun smiths, if you can find one are not interested in building you an AK. Note: Very unlikely it would sell for more than your cost plus the value of the parts kit.

Best to just cut it up and sell as a parts kit.

I agree with most others here . Very unlikely it's a full auto AK.

Sorry to get off topic. Need coffee. And this info still has the value of your purchase price.

Don

I hate to say it, but he also....................could dump it at the no questions asks gun buy backs,
kills me to suggest it almost didnt. But may be away to get some cash rather then tossing it at a loss. Maybe he could smack one of the antis with the butt-stock, might make me feel better about suggesting it.:confused:

That is, if its a full auto.

I would NOT try that. Getting stopped on the way to the buy back could net you 10 years.

You'd have to be doing something pretty silly to get a probable cause search to find your firearm. I have had firearms near 1/2 a century and been stopped and searched none, not once. Sure anything could happen, but the possibility of being stopped and searched would require him doing something else that gave that probable cause.

I hate to say it, but he also....................could dump it at the no questions asks gun buy backs,
kills me to suggest it almost didnt. But may be away to get some cash rather then tossing it at a loss. Maybe he could smack one of the antis with the butt-stock, might make me feel better about suggesting it.:confused:

That is, if its a full auto.
He "could".. But Id only do that if I couldnt sell the chopped parts kit.
Like a cut down shotgun barrel.. And even then, why not take a grinder to it and throw it away yourself.. I could never give a firearm demilled or otherwise to those bigot antis.
They'll just use the given firearm as an example:
"See, we DO have full auto AKs on the streets.. MORE BANS!"
:(

He "could".. But Id only do that if I couldnt sell the chopped parts kit.
Like a cut down shotgun barrel.. And even then, why not take a grinder to it and throw it away yourself.. I could never give a firearm demilled or otherwise to those bigot antis.
They'll just use the given firearm as an example:
"See, we DO have full auto AKs on the streets.. MORE BANS!"
:(

Yep, lol it was just an idea, don't shoot the messenger ! I was trying to think of something
and as I said it was not one I liked to say, but it was one. I agree it would kill me to know they ended up with one of these and great point they could use to say hey look at this all good feedback on my thought. ( lol see now I regret like I originally said posting it didnt want to deviate the cause at hand it was just and idea ):(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top