JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to purchase my first AR-15 within the next 2 months or so. I am looking for something that is a solid platform and would be suitable for an entry level shooter to the AR platform.

After searching a bit and reading online, I think I am leaning towards purchasing the Ruger SR-556.

My question is this: would that money, be better spent on another rifle if so which and why?

Thanks!

I would like to purchase my first AR-15 within the next 2 months or so. I am looking for something that is a solid platform and would be suitable for an entry level shooter to the AR platform.

You should use the board search engine this has been discussed many times.

.My question is this: would that $1500 or so, be better spent on another AR platform if so which and why?

Hopefully this will be answered by someone with lots personal experience with both platforms .

You should google SR-556 reviews .

It has been reviewed and discussed on this board as well.

While there is nothing "wrong" with the Ruger SR-556, you might be better off considering something else for your first purchase for several reasons. The Ruger is a gas piston operated weapon, not direct impingement. That means for the most part it is a proprietary system. If you stick with a D.I. gun like say Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag Arms, S&W, Rock River Arms, and several of the others, parts are interchangeable. Not to mention the weapon will be about one third cheaper.

You can buy a nice AR-15 rifle now a days for around $800.00 without a lot of add ons. That is about $700.00 less than the Ruger. $700.00 will buy you a fairly nice scope and mounts, or a lot of ammo and other accessories. It's up to you, but with that kind of money you can do a lot. With the economy bad, and everyone spent out from the Christmas holidays, there are a lot of deals out there to be had. Take your time, check out a lot of places, and have fun shopping.

While there is nothing "wrong" with the Ruger SR-556, you might be better off considering something else for your first purchase for several reasons. The Ruger is a gas piston operated weapon, not direct impingement. That means for the most part it is a proprietary system. If you stick with a D.I. gun like say Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag Arms, S&W, Rock River Arms, and several of the others, parts are interchangeable. Not to mention the weapon will be about one third cheaper.

You can buy a nice AR-15 rifle now a days for around $800.00 without a lot of add ons. That is about $700.00 less than the Ruger. $700.00 will buy you a fairly nice scope and mounts, or a lot of ammo and other accessories. It's up to you, but with that kind of money you can do a lot. With the economy bad, and everyone spent out from the Christmas holidays, there are a lot of deals out there to be had. Take your time, check out a lot of places, and have fun shopping.

Excellent input, gives me a bit more to consider. Thank you sir!

Just one persons opinion, but don't pay more than $800. You can get a rifle that will fit (probably) all of your needs for that much. ARs are very cheap right now, even for good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by eldbillbo View Post
You should use the board search engine this has been discussed many times. You should google SR-556 reviews .
I think you missed the part where I've already stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
After searching a bit and reading online...

Shouldn't have much of any problem or need another thread then should you?
:s0155:;)

I was in your shoes a short month ago. I started out really wanting the Ruger. I liked the looks. I visited every gun shop from Albany to Seattle looking at AR's. Talked to a lot of people. Read a TON online. There are a few basic schools of thought on this stuff. In the end it comes down to this - buy what you want. It will be your rifle. You have to live with/enjoy or hate your purchase. So, get what you want. The advice above is very good advice. I wanted a gas piston AR. I arrived at this decision after helping a friend clean his DI rifle after a day at the range. He also has a gas piston AR. The DI gun took a lot more work to get really clean. To me, it is worth a little more cash for the piston system.

When you ask for people's opinions, you are going to get their opinions and advice. I don't think you will be unhappy, at all with the Ruger. You could get the E model that is optics ready for $400 or so less and spend that money on optics. A couple of other very, very good options that I found on my journey..

1. Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply has a very nice budget AR for about $600. Curt is very knowledgable and can give you a lot of info. I bought a few things for my rifle from Curt and couldn't be happier.

2. MK Tactical in Hillsboro sells Black Rifle Company's rifles. BRC is in Clackamas, OR. The guys at MK were also very helpful. They have great prices.

3. The guys from TNT Weaponry (they advertise here on NWFA) had a nice AR setup at the last gun show I went to. It was in the $600 range as well.

All said and done, I am very happy with my rifle. There are plenty of guys on here (and other places on line) that will point out that I probably spent more than I needed to. I bought an LMT MRP gas piston rifle. I am very happy with it. I have put over a thousand rounds down range already. I love the rifle. I enjoy shooting it. It really got me back into shooting sports.

1. Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply has a very nice budget AR for about $600. Curt is very knowledgable and can give you a lot of info. I bought a few things for my rifle from Curt and couldn't be happier.

3. The guys from TNT Weaponry (they advertise here on NWFA) had a nice AR setup at the last gun show I went to. It was in the $600 range as well.
While I have a personal preference for my Spike's Tactical middy, either of these recommendations would be a very good first AR and still leave some serious $ for a good optic.

When I was looking for my first AR I didn't have the money right away so I started by purchasing a LPK from PSA then waited for their lowers to go on sale for $50. Put the LPK and lower together and waited for a while then got a Spikes mid-length upper.
$1500 can buy you a really nice AR. Have you looked at BCM?

I just picked up a S&W M&P15. I got it for $874 with free shipping and shipping insurance, but that was with my LEO discount.... I don't know how much they go for without the LEO discount. But it's a very nice M4 and it came with a rear flip up sight.... it's a flat top and it also came with one P-Mag. If you get something like the M&P15, you have a nice quality rifle and you still have money left over for ammo, mags, other stuff to pimp it out. You can also maybe get a decent red dot on it too.... like an EOTech 512 for $399 on aimsurplus.... just saying :)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews