JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

My taste in firearms actually leans towards single shots and bolt actions, but I want to add an AR to have some experience with the platform. I bought a bunch of mags before the high capacity mag ban with 300 BO/300 HAMR in mind, so I am covered on that front, but it seems like I should make the AR purchase while I still can. I'm looking for some advice.

I'm really just wanting good quality at a decent price. I'd probably like to do some very basic customizing, but I don't want to get too deep into it. Are the PSA ARs decent? Is there another brand that would be a better starting point?

Thanks

I've bought 2 of the psa AR kits, just had to buy a stripped lower receiver. One 5.56 and 1 300 bo pistol, pistol came with a weak brace so I upgraded with sba 4 brace. I also bought a 300 16" upper to replace 7.5" upper once the ATF's unconstitutional ban starts in May.

Only shot 50 rounds out of both so far but both performed as they should. The 5.56 was only $370 with free shipping and 300 was $420 w/ free shipping. Then $90 a piece for lowers including bgc.

I'm mean they're not competition guns but they'll get the job done.

20230317_202400.jpg

At least buy 1 stripped lower or 10….

But not at $1000.00+ like some idiots on this forum try to get out of their $60.00 lowers simply due to politics and fear.

The time window on this is unfortunately short. I'd head into the local gun store, and see what's in stock. In different times there are lots of different rifles I'd recommend. Buy, build...there were choices. But, with today's circumstances, you'd better go buy that rifle....today.

Good point on the $5-600.00 AR's going first. I'd be inclined to spend a little more, get some better hardware.

As they say, one man's opinion.....

I'm really just wanting good quality at a decent price. I'd probably like to do some very basic customizing, but I don't want to get too deep into it. Are the PSA ARs decent? Is there another brand that would be a better starting point?
Since your in Washington if I were you Id immediately get at least 2 lowers and worry about the build later.

And thats a better option if your the type inclined to customize, lowers are easy to build with whatever you want then you can just buy any completed upper assembly in the caliber you want.

Yes, PSA lowers are good to build from, they start around $50 each...

Likely the least expensive but will work every time.

Smith and Wesson MP15 Sport

Ruger AR556

A complete rifle from PSA

The only advice is drive to a gun counter that has one in stock first thing Monday morning if you want any chance at one before Inslee signs the papers.

The ten day wait has been 12-17 days for me in WA.

Good luck with the purchase 👍

I have a Del-Ton Sierra and am happy with it. hundreds of rounds with zero issues.

The only advice is drive to a gun counter that has one in stock first thing Monday morning if you want any chance at one before Inslee signs the papers.

The ten day wait has been 12-17 days for me in WA.

Good luck with the purchase 👍
In Washington if you buy just a lower you don't have to wait the 10 day period correct?

I just did a trade with a member up in Washington and we transferred the lower/frame in Washington to avoid the wait. He walked out with it less than 10 minutes after it was submitted.

Handed him the upper in the parking lot and away he went with a complete gun and no wait time. And as far as I know it's completely legal.

Last Edited:
Smith & Wesson has a $100 rebate going on right now, so you can snag a complete M&P 15 for a good price (about $700 - $100 rebate = $600 net cost at KYGUNCO.com) when all is said and done (i.e., after you get the $100 back from Smith & Wesson)

PSA is alright. I like Aero if you don't mind spending a little more (but still won't break the bank) and they have a 15% March Madness sale going on right now too.

Buy an aero m4e1 stripped lower from a 3 day ffl. Buy a lower build kit no fcg, ergo grip, buffer tube, spring and standard buffer. Order a larue mbt trigger. A few minutes of tinckering around and you have a solid platform for any upper and stock you want to throw on there depending on wallet thickness.

Edit radian 45deg Ambi Safteys are always a good investment in a build.

Last Edited:
Get a couple of Aero Precision lowers and then you can build the upper exactly how you want it later on since those parts won't be regulated (though that clock is ticking in anti-2A states I'm sure).

order some lowers.....now. Build a standard 16in AR to start and shoot it, once you figure out what you want build from there. if you have the money maybe build 2 or just by some extra parts. Barrels and BGC are very hard to find when people get in a buying frenzy 2020-2022 was horrible to build one.

Buy Aero upper and lower receivers and build one. Super easy for anyone even a little familiar with dyi auto repair and not rocket science if not. It's cool to know that you could fix any problem if you've got the parts. If you're gonna buy an assembled one and on a budget I'd suggest the cheapest one you can find built around solid receivers so you've got a decent base to upgrade from. So bottom of the line of a higher end company. A used decent one isn't a bad idea either as a couple thousand rounds isn't going to mean very much in terms of wear.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews