JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About upgrading, if there is any chance of it you mostlikley need a gunsmith for a remington, a savage you cand do all the work your self. I tried to rebarrel my remington 700 adl,with getting the barrel installed and the action trued it was 800+(barrel included) almost everywhere I looked, some even quoted me 1400 just for a sub moa guarantee.

Savage is moa or less out of the box with the right ammo, and you can get a new barrel for 300 and install it yourself to get a sub moa shooter.

The action of a savage is NOT even close to as smooth as a remington, no matter how much you polish and smooth the savage action it is still rough. I have friends that will only shoot remington because of how silky smooth there actions are. It just has a better fit and finish feel when you cycle ghe action, and I do miss my 700 because of that, but there is no wasy I was gonna spend 800 to rebarrel when that money could get me a new gun

Not disagreeing with you on this, but would love to know what the TWO reasons are.

IMHO- one like all things they're .gov supplier and therefore we must have it. But also Savage has screwed up by changing their design soo much- changed screw spacing and now the change on the bolt release. It really hinders the aftermarket because people don't want to invest in a product that may be pointless after another change.

On action smoothness- it's not about fit and finish as much as their design and how it all works together. not as much finesse perhaps. Doing the bolt lift mod can help tremendously though!!!

I'm sorry but...Remington action being 100% smooter REGARDLESS of model? not true. the 770/710 series are quite rough compared to Savage :) I would know, I own one.

You are probably right, however we are discussin the options that he said he wanted to choose between which is a 700 model Nota cheap 770/710

im sorry I didnt specify that I was talking only about the 700 but he never brought up a 770 as an option so I didnt think I needed to be that specific

No need for caps, I can read fine no need to yell

I know that, the caps was for emphasis.... :) anyhow, a Rem 700, or a Savage 111/110...I personally would go for a built savage long range in 308, maybe 30-06 if one could find the 08-09, maybe 2010 models used and for a good price....but if near new or brand new..welp. a Rem 700 would basically be the AR of the bolt action world ;) to start with, I'd go used built Savage action..but a good used built rem 700 is decent though, however it all depends on what the person wants. myself, I know my 30-06 770 can hit good at 100 yards..I haven't tested 2-500 yards, but its not meant for long range serious target..tis more of a simple hunting rifle with skinny barrel.

Comments like these show just how out of the loop you are. Savage has been at/near top of the game for awhile when it comes to out of the box accuracy to $$$. There is simply TWO reasons that Savage hasn't overtaken Rem and it has nothing to do with their quality or performance.

Where did you read this, the internet? Wiki?
Face it, savage is a cheap, cheaply made gun, good for you if you can shoot a one shot sub moa group.
If what they offer is "top of their game" I am not impressed.
buy a remington or better yet a winchester (or an FN actioned browning), a long action in a reasonable caliber, short actions in short calibers are not very satisfying for long range work. leave it as is and shoot it.

or, if you feel the need to "build" something, find a nice yugo mauser, rebarrel it, restock it, reforge the bolt handle, drill and tap it for sights and scope, install a low swing safety, and a nice trigger.

Of course this option is expensive, but still better than a savage.

It all boils down to, you get what you pay for

First off it is proven that many savage rifles shoot sub moa 3 shot groups, and many can make moa 5 shot groups we are trying to help this guy pick a less expensive starting rifle.

you comments are unhelpful. Savsge rifles are good rifles so to say they arent is just ignorant. Also the 1 shot moa groups comment helps no one. On top of all this he said less expensive so your option of the mauser is useless, since it will cost him over 2k for that rifle.

And to say a 2k rifle is better than a savage is obvious

A winchester is however a great option. They are great rifles. And you can get some of them woth sub moa guarantee, which means you will probably never need to upgrade.

As for long or short action. Is the gun is for target a 308 will make 1000 yard so you wouldnt need more. If you plan to hunt at lomger range o would suggest a long action.

For target shooting why beat yourself up with a magnum for no reason unless your are they guy how has to say yours is bigger,then buy a long action and then someone else will bring a 50.

Everyome is entitled to their own opinion

If you want to say a specific gun sucks please say exacly why you dont like it so that we can help them decide.

sure

savage drawbacks versus mod 70

round bottom reciever as opposed to flat bottom, less rigid, weaker (this also allows for a better stock to reciever contact using a wood or composite stock)

2 screws hold the savage in the stock as opposed to 3 (in the winchester with 2 piece trigger guards)

Non-integral thin recoil lug, subject to movement as opposed to a solid recoil lug that is an integral part of the reciever

A trigger that requires work or replacement as opposed to a trigger that can be user adjusted in moments to a crisp safe two to three pounds.

a miniscule extractor compared to a mauser style controlled feed extractor.( on this point while the controlled feed is prefered the push feed winchester still has a larger extractor)

multiple locking lugs on the bolt opposed to two massive ones(this is a point that is neither here or there with me, I think it is just easier to maintain and clean the recesses for the lugs and the bolt in the mod 70)

Before you start raising hell about the price, a push feed mod 70 can be had used in the 400 range, or my preferred model, the model 70 laredo classic LRH (long range hunter) 300 win mag is around 700 on gunbroker (I got mine for 500 when they were new in '99). With an H&S stock, a douglas barrel, satin black finish, all from the factory. the only thing I did to one of these is get a steel trigger guard, a leupold base, rings and a scope. Never shot it for groups at a distance, but, head shots on coyotes at 500 yards isn't difficult. I would call that MOA.

so bottom line is if you watch for a decent deal, you can put together a package for under 1000

I didnt raise hell about the price of the winchester but of the cost of the custom mauser you suggested.

Those are all good points and as I said above if you actually read my post a winchester is a great option and that if he got one he would not need to upgrade in the future

Headshot on a coyote at 500 yards is amazing.

Did it really make you feel better when you copied and pasted your post to me in a pm? I can read the thread just fine, no need to send me any pms

I didnt raise hell about the price of the winchester but of the cost of the custom mauser you suggested.

Those are all good points and as I said above if you actually read my post a winchester is a great option and that if he got one he would not need to upgrade in the future

Headshot on a coyote at 500 yards is amazing.

Did it really make you feel better when you copied and pasted your post to me in a pm? I can read the thread just fine, no need to send me any pms

It is a great option, and I agree with you, "upgrading" at a later date is almost always more expensive in the long run, not sure why so many here seem to have bought into that line of thinking.

I only brought up the mauser as an extreme example of upgrading, actually I have found a few good unmodified examples that are very close to MOA guns over the years, but, it is hit or miss (no pun intended)

sorry about the PM, but often I do not check back right away to threads I have posted to, and would have appreciated it if others had sent one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top