JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to fill a hole in my collection. I would like to get a capable, accurate, reliable
mid-to long-range rifle (thinking 300-600 yards). Likely a .30-something caliber, probably .308
Bolt action preferred, and I'll obviously put a good scope on top. I'm looking for something that could be considered "tactically accurate".
Any suggestions on a decent model that won't break the bank?
Thanks...

Remington 700's are great except you pay for the name and alot of their work is gunsmith only. I love that I can tinker on my savage and change calibers at home.

Sounds like Savage is an accurate, reliable and affordable contender...exactly what I was looking for.
Any caliber preferences? All my stuff begins with a .22, or a 5.56...I was thinking .308, but I'm open to others.
Heard good things about a .300 Win Mag short...
Thanks for the help and ideas,
Merry Christmas.

Sounds like Savage is an accurate, reliable and affordable contender...exactly what I was looking for.
Any caliber preferences? All my stuff begins with a .22, or a 5.56...I was thinking .308, but I'm open to others.
Heard good things about a .300 Win Mag short...
Thanks for the help and ideas,
Merry Christmas.
I think a lot depends on you? Do you handload? If not I would think the 308 is the way to go. If you do, I would pick one of the 6.5s. If if was me, I'd do a 6.5x284. That one ought to work well for long range.

I don't currently handload, but would like to start (a whole other thread on that).
I like both calibers (.308, and 6.5)...I'm more familiar with .308.
What is the difference between 6.5 Creedmore, and 6.5 Grendel? Is one a better round for terminal ballistics, or bolt-actions, or...?

That's a respectable group
W9uQVh.jpg

I looked into this a while back.The Savage was on top of most lists.And the Howa was up there for a budget gun.
But for long range accuracy,competitors said the 6mmbr and the 243s were the way to go out at the 600yd range.Of course that would be fine for paper.
Not sure they have the energy to be a deer killer out there.

I was looking into a big dollar barrel and was talked out of it till I tried a factory barrel.And there are some pretty accurate,bone stock rifles out there

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are worried about availablity then .308 is the better choice. Same with reloading you will find more options in .308 Diameter slugs locally then 6.5. Brass is muc easier to aquire since with so many shooting .308 there are more people who do not reload and therefore would have brass to sell or trade.

As to Savage rifles. Well the next 2 bolt actions I want to buy will be Savage. I have a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in .243 which is unbelievably accurate right out of the box. Sometimes I think it even compensates for my ability. The Savage trigger takes a couple dozen rounds to get used to but once you forget its different you will start to love the increased safety factor in a trigger that breaks almost like a tiny glass rod.

As to the ability to swap barrels I know of no other off the shelf bargin price rifle that you can go to somewhere like MIDWAY and by a complete barrel swaping kit for $200.00.

If you buy a .308 you would also be able to swap barrels and have a .22-250 or .243 without having to change the bolt head. Long range Deer rifle and long range varmit rifle in the same package.

My self I plan on buying a Model 111 FCXP3 (Bi Mart Special) in either 25-06 or 30-06 and swapping the barrel for a EH SHAW kit in .35 Whelen mounting a ramped front sight and a hunting style receiever mounted peep sight on the back. Then putting it into a Boyds Walnut stock. Ending up with a short to mid range bear/elk rifle.

If you're looking for a that's already ready, I would get the Savage 110 or 111. If you want to build, I'd get a Stevens 200 and buy the a stock and barrel you want.

What is the difference between 6.5 Creedmore, and 6.5 Grendel? Is one a better round for terminal ballistics, or bolt-actions, or...?

The 6.5 grendel has a shorter case (holds less powder) it was made shorter so that it can fit and fire from an ar-15 semi auto rifle

recoil from a 308 is minor but the recoil is even less from a 6.5 creedmoore and the bullet has a lot less drop

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top