JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Coop44, my interest is in medium to long-range shooting, not hunting.
Target practice at the range, and a "reach out" option for my collection.
The more I look into it, the more I'm drawn to 20" bull barrels. Would I lose too much
velocity vs a 24 or 26 inch barrel? I like the proportion and handling of the shorter barrel,
and accuracy doesn't seem to be affected.
Thanks.

Target shooting at a distance is a blast, personally, I would get a barrel as long as ecomically feasable. Over 24" tend to get a bit pricier, but, whatever floats your boat.

Hold out for a winchester laredo in 300 win mag, truly an awesome rifle, every wannabe sniper out there has a remington 308. Why just be one of the crowd? Comes with an H&S stock and a 24" barrel, a serious accurate shooter, they are on gunbroker for around 700.

Anything else you get you'll wind up changing the stock, barrel, trigger.

I was faced with the same question a few years ago. I had it all worked out. I was going to buy a "top of the line" Remington in .308. Went to the Dealer to start working on a price. He suggested I look at something Remington sells as not a "Limited Edition" but "Limited Production". The Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec.

I was intrigued as he was telling me how accurate it was out of the box but there were only limited numbers available each year. Supposedly a "Civilian" version of the M-24 Army Sniper rifle.

I bit. Couldn't be happier. The rifle only comes in a bead blasted stainless finish although it takes a Cerakote finish real well. Cost me $1050 and the Dealer tossed in a set of .308 Redding Dies. Out of the box I was able to shoot sub MOA groups with a personal best of .140", all without mods to the rifle.

I would certainly consider this rifle if looking for something that would work well out of the box within the capabilities of the .308 cal round.

WARNING!!!!

Once you get a rifle like this that shoots extremely well you'll want MORE. I am now shopping for the parts and pieces for next precision, long range, rifle. Starting with a Shillen Barreled Action, Jewell trigger, McMillan Stock (A3-1), Versapod, and NightForce scope. My first New car cost half what this rifle will end up costing.
After this "build" I'll probably have to go into a 12-Step Program for those addicted to expensive rifles;)

( After this "build" I'll probably have to go into a 12-Step Program for those addicted to expensive rifles)

they dont have one of these ive checked im addicted to all guns i guess i have one of those addicted personalities :D

No update, but now I'm thinking I should have bought something impulsively just so I didn't have any money left.
Between Deadshot, Ought-6, and sniper central, I can see getting into serious fiduciary trouble with my money manager (wife).
I started this project looking at no more than a $500 spend. That has quickly doubled...With that rate of uncontrolled spending, you'd think I was with the government.
Thanks guys...

A lot can be learned from making do with the "low-end". You could buy a Savage short action rifle (Stevens 200 or Savage 10/11 Series) ~$350-400.

Learn to bed the action this will teach you about stocks and bedding. You can toss/sell it and upgrade later when funds allow.

Buy a "cheap" scope like the Bushnell Elite at Midway ($~200):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

With just these two purchases (and some rings - nothing too fancy) you should be able to do some decent distance shooting and learn if you want to spend the big money for the fancy toys.

There are lots of upgrades for Savage's but they typically do well out of the box and are good starter guns.

No update, but now I'm thinking I should have bought something impulsively just so I didn't have any money left.
Between Deadshot, Ought-6, and sniper central, I can see getting into serious fiduciary trouble with my money manager (wife).
I started this project looking at no more than a $500 spend. That has quickly doubled...With that rate of uncontrolled spending, you'd think I was with the government.
Thanks guys...

I think you've already found out that distance comes at a price. Usually between $2-$5 per yard.

About an hour ago I asked my friendly Dealer to get me a price on one of these:

40XS.gif

As you see it, it's in the neighborhood of $5k:s0095: Sure hope he'll give me a good deal:s0152:

At first I thought I'd build. Depending on price, I may have to.:s0114:

If your budget was only 500,well, you might want to rethink that. At 1000 you can put together a reasonably accutate package. at 2500 it can get really good. Beyond that, in my opinion, you should send me all of your excess cash, you have much more than you can responsibly spend.

building a savage into "something else" is like putting 20" rims on a Yugo. Smarter to build a 98 mauser or an '03 springfield into a long range rifle.

building a savage into "sometuhing else" is like putting 20" rims on a Yugo. Smarter to build a 98 mauser or an '03 springfield into a long range rifle.

Ya because building a gun that can shoot 0.25-0.5 moa for less than 700 dollars is a bad idea?

Who cares if it is a yugo if it performs like a porche

building a savage into "something else" is like putting 20" rims on a Yugo. Smarter to build a 98 mauser or an '03 springfield into a long range rifle.

Comments like these show just how out of the loop you are. Savage has been at/near top of the game for awhile when it comes to out of the box accuracy to $$$. There is simply TWO reasons that Savage hasn't overtaken Rem and it has nothing to do with their quality or performance.

My goal, at least initially, is to buy something (preferably lightly used, but new if need be) that will be "accurate enough".
I'm not a match shooter, so any thing MOA or better will be more accurate than I am.
I'll obviously scope it, but right now am leaning to a 4x12, in a mid-priced (Redfield, Vortex, etc) offering.
Again, my goal is a 300-600 yard shooter, to be able to deliver a payload a bit farther and heavier than my AR can.
If the bug bites hard, I would make the upgrades necessary to "buy" a bit more accuracy, but right now I'm not feeling that need.
Again, thanks to all for the help and advice. Much appreciated.
John

Comments like these show just how out of the loop you are. Savage has been at/near top of the game for awhile when it comes to out of the box accuracy to $$$. There is simply TWO reasons that Savage hasn't overtaken Rem and it has nothing to do with their quality or performance.

Not disagreeing with you on this, but would love to know what the TWO reasons are.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top