JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
depends how much money you have to spend if your on a budget go with a savage in 308 if your not go savage 338 lapua the scope will cost as much as the rifle but together low end around 1000 to 1100.00 upper end 3000.00 of coarse then there's ammo ammo ammo reloading equipment etc etc etc .... your in trouble now:D

what's wrong with a .30-06? or a .300 Win Mag? just as many bullet loads for it as the .308 and just as readily available, if not more widely available...of course , I only own a .30-06 and am looking at buying a .308 after buying or building an AR eventually. :)

CamoDeafie the 3006 is all i use any more i had a weatherby 300 win mag came across one of these new marlin Xl7 with the fancy trigger the rifle only weights 6.5 lbs the trigger around 23/4 lbs i have a leupold milldot scope on it and this little gun is really a good shooter the o6 was good enough for Hancock

30/06 is vastly superior for long range than almost any non magnum caliber available, depending on what you consider "affordable" I would look around for a nice push feed winchester model 70, with a two piece floor plate, the advantage of having three screws holding the action to the stock and a recoil lug that is part of the reciever make for the potential to have a very accurate rifle

BTW figure out what is "affordable" and what is just plain "cheap"

I brought it up because I noticed alot of people talking about 6.5s and .270s and .308s, all seemingly short cartridges...granted, I know the 6.5 creedmore is pretty good at long range with mild recoil...but...I personally would go for a cartridge that was designed to take large things down at long range...and a 30/06 would be a good cartridge to start with....a nice heavy barrel Remington 700 or similar action in a good heavy stock would be pretty awesome for long range...I own a 770, its OK for shorter range, with its thin barrel and lightweight stock....but a heavy barrel, heavy stock 30/06 is something I am always looking for at a good price...whether it be on a Savage/Stevens action, a 1903 Springfield action, a Mauser action or a Rem 700 action.....

If you want a complete package, ready to go, I have yet to find a better deal than what they offer at SniperCentral.com. I got a Remington 700 package from them, and I am extremely pleased with it.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

I got a lot of extras on mine, which of course pushed up the price.

<broken link removed>

BTW, I have no commercial interest in that website. I am merely a member and customer.

I must be a little old school, I think to shot that far consitently you should be looking at something like 300 win. mag 300 wsm or something else that you won't have to hold four foot high at a 500 yards. Savage makes a shooter. Glass bed the action, float the barrel and reseal the stock and you will have the gun you want. I like the ammo for 308 but to shoot long range you will need to reload.

long range target shooting is fun, long range hunting is not. Remember, if you kill it at 500 yards you have to go get it, if you wound it, it has a 500 yard head start on you (if you are a responsible hunter). Most responsible hunters take game at less than 100 yards for a reason.

long range target shooting is fun, long range hunting is not. Remember, if you kill it at 500 yards you have to go get it, if you wound it, it has a 500 yard head start on you (if you are a responsible hunter). Most responsible hunters take game at less than 100 yards for a reason.

I disagree, long range hunting can be a lot of fun, but you must know your equipment and your limitations and practice in field condittions. There is even a website dedicated to Longrange Hunting!
It is possible to safely and humanely take game at over 500yrds, even 800yrds if you have the equipment, field conditions and a very good range finder.

Coop44, my interest is in medium to long-range shooting, not hunting.
Target practice at the range, and a "reach out" option for my collection.
The more I look into it, the more I'm drawn to 20" bull barrels. Would I lose too much
velocity vs a 24 or 26 inch barrel? I like the proportion and handling of the shorter barrel,
and accuracy doesn't seem to be affected.
Thanks.

The most accurate bolt action I've ever owned in .308 Win was a Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a 3x9x40. VERY little needs to be adjusted to this rifle right out of the box. Maybe a slight trigger adjustment as per the shooters preference but other than that, it's a great all around rifle. The heavy barrel makes this rifle wonderfully accurate for higher grain rounds. If you shop around you can likely find one for around $600. All around you can get a great set up for under $800 used or under $1000 buying new.

Thanks aknomad.
I *think* I've narrowed my search to the Remington 700 SPS tactical, the Savage model 10, or a Howa 1500 (all in .308).
Trying to walk that fine line between budget and quality...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top