JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The internal metallurgy on a Remington 870 express is no worse than a Mossberg 500. Both are fairly cheap feeling. I just prefer the steel feel of the Remington to the aluminum of the Mossberg. But I upgraded to a Remington 870 Police Magnum (VangComp tuned), so all the better...

From a gunsmith standpoint, I've never had the extractor or ejector fail on either gun, so that's a draw. I've run a class with several hundred rounds through an 870 in a class, and the only guns that failed were a Benelli Nova and a Mossberg (the Mossberg because the operator was not running the gun proper and the Benelli actually mechanically failed), so that's not much of a draw to the Mossberg. The safety I can't argue. If you are left handed, that works better. All I can say is that having my thumb over the top on the Mossberg safety seems to make my thumb clock my nose with every shot...

I think everyone needs at least 4 shotguns:

1)870 Home Defense -I prefer the Marine Mag (with a light rather than ghost ring sites)
2)Benellli Nova Pump (camo) for Waterfoul (takes 3 1/2"). Great as a slug-gun.
3) Auto loader-Rem 1100/1187?. ***Watch out if buying used!! -people on this site may try to sell you a non-working gun that goes click if they can get away with it***
$$ no object, take your pick of a shiny new Benelli/ Beretta/ etc, etc.
4)Beretta Silver Pigeon 20g O/U -sooo sweet to shoot, suprising power with 3" loads. Great for hunting small ducks and upland game, rabbits, etc...

Big-5 has the mossberg 500a I believe the model is persuader on sale for around $280 about once a month. 20in barrel and 8 shot magazine. I had a hard time deciding between it and the one at Bi-mart for the same price range with two barrels and 6 shot magazine.

Looks like big-5 has an 870 on sale right now for $329 also.

I don't think you would go wrong with either of these. I had more experience with the mossberg and have seen people abuse the **** out of them, and the shotguns always work.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top