JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The internal metallurgy on a Remington 870 express is no worse than a Mossberg 500. Both are fairly cheap feeling. I just prefer the steel feel of the Remington to the aluminum of the Mossberg. But I upgraded to a Remington 870 Police Magnum (VangComp tuned), so all the better...

From a gunsmith standpoint, I've never had the extractor or ejector fail on either gun, so that's a draw. I've run a class with several hundred rounds through an 870 in a class, and the only guns that failed were a Benelli Nova and a Mossberg (the Mossberg because the operator was not running the gun proper and the Benelli actually mechanically failed), so that's not much of a draw to the Mossberg. The safety I can't argue. If you are left handed, that works better. All I can say is that having my thumb over the top on the Mossberg safety seems to make my thumb clock my nose with every shot...

I think everyone needs at least 4 shotguns:

1)870 Home Defense -I prefer the Marine Mag (with a light rather than ghost ring sites)
2)Benellli Nova Pump (camo) for Waterfoul (takes 3 1/2"). Great as a slug-gun.
3) Auto loader-Rem 1100/1187?. ***Watch out if buying used!! -people on this site may try to sell you a non-working gun that goes click if they can get away with it***
$$ no object, take your pick of a shiny new Benelli/ Beretta/ etc, etc.
4)Beretta Silver Pigeon 20g O/U -sooo sweet to shoot, suprising power with 3" loads. Great for hunting small ducks and upland game, rabbits, etc...

Big-5 has the mossberg 500a I believe the model is persuader on sale for around $280 about once a month. 20in barrel and 8 shot magazine. I had a hard time deciding between it and the one at Bi-mart for the same price range with two barrels and 6 shot magazine.

Looks like big-5 has an 870 on sale right now for $329 also.

I don't think you would go wrong with either of these. I had more experience with the mossberg and have seen people abuse the **** out of them, and the shotguns always work.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top