JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I purchased a AR -15 from a gun show in Portland and It is supposed to be new, it says 5.56 on the barrel so I went to shoot it today and I was able to fire ONE ROUND out of it. When I pulled the trigger for the next shot it didn't fire so I pulled out the mag and then pulled the charging handle which became stuck. I was able to get the charging handle free and eject the stuck round so I loaded a different mag and test fired another shot it fired fine then went for a follow up shot and it failed.
So now the charging handle will not pull out and I have a stuck bullet in the barrel. I am NOT USING STEEL AMMO. All ammo is brass and not reloads. Has anybody had this problem. I am in Salem Oregon and if you guys know any gun smiths around the Salem area let me know

Stuck bullet or stuck case?

If it's a stuck case, you have to "mortar" your AR to eject the round. Collapse the stock (very important), hold the gun with the stock pointed to the ground. Press the charging handle lever and slam the gun on the ground (not too much force is needed). This will eject the round. If you don't collapse the stock before doing this, you can break the stock and likely your finger.

You likely have a dirty, rough or tight chamber. I would get a bore brush on the end of a cordless drill and and polish your chamber.

There are lots of things you could do, But what I would do is take it to a gunsmith. There are lots of guys on youtube who will talk about methods to remove a stuck round, but the fact remains that even if you get the round out you still got a problem that needs to be addressed. It sounds like you got a ding in the chamber and the brass fire forming into it, or there is some scratching or something that the brass is grabbing. Is the bolt in battery so you can pull the upper and lower apart? If so I would transport it dissembled.

On second thought
I retract what I said, I wasn't thinking. If the round is live in the chamber its not stuck because it was fire formed into a dink (duh)

You might have a headspace issue or a barrel extension issue. If the bolt is locked up and the round did not fire presumably the bolt is not in full battery.

I still think taking it to a gunsmith is a good idea. They can check the headspace and inspect the bolt, barrel extension and chamber for problems.

I would probably try to mortar it like others suggested though to see if you could persuade it, at least that way you would not have to transport it with a live round in there.

Last Edited:
I agree with letting someone with experience handle it if you dont feel comfortable working on it. If you work on it just be in a location where the muzzle is down range pointed in a safe direction and in a place that is safe to fire.

What happened when you pulled the trigger? Did the hammer drop and nothing happen?

So its not in full battery it sounds like. It probably is a headspace or barrel extension/bolt issue.

I think what I would do is hose the whole thing down with penetrating oil or WD-40 (spray it in anyplace you can get it and run some down the barrel and let it sit) and then try the mortar trick. I have banged on the charging handle using a 2 x 4 and a hammer before with some success but I hate to recommend that as a solution

I bought it from a dealer at the gun show in Portland at the expo center I think it was from f and b I'll have to check the paperwork I will be calling them tomorrow to complain they told me it was a new ar-15 only test fired

With the rush for ARs and AR parts in the last year or two there were tons of parts that were rushed and sent to market out of spec. My brother's AR was functioning hit and miss - several FTEs - he thought it was a rough chamber and had a smith polish it out - runs better but still had issues. I looked at the brass from it and noticed that many of them had 2 elongated dings in them. After further inspection I discovered that the barrel extension must have had the final machining step on the feed ramps skipped so it has sharp edges instead of a beveled edge. Took the file to it and cleaned it up a bit the other day but haven't test fired the upper yet to see if it is working correctly now... Be ware of bad parts out there

I can vouch for gunsmith Mike Hill, located in Eugene, OR, and about an hour drive south of you. He is really a good guy to do business with. He can be reached at 541-689-9035.

I'm sure that there must be some good gunsmiths near you in Salem too.

Hopefully some folks from the Salem area will also chime in with some recommendations.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top