Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need a little help with a stuck 5.56 bullet in new AR

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Deathdealer503, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Deathdealer503

Deathdealer503 New Member

So I purchased a AR -15 from a gun show in Portland and It is supposed to be new, it says 5.56 on the barrel so I went to shoot it today and I was able to fire ONE ROUND out of it. When I pulled the trigger for the next shot it didn't fire so I pulled out the mag and then pulled the charging handle which became stuck. I was able to get the charging handle free and eject the stuck round so I loaded a different mag and test fired another shot it fired fine then went for a follow up shot and it failed.
    So now the charging handle will not pull out and I have a stuck bullet in the barrel. I am NOT USING STEEL AMMO. All ammo is brass and not reloads. Has anybody had this problem. I am in Salem Oregon and if you guys know any gun smiths around the Salem area let me know

2. SICARIO

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

Stuck bullet or stuck case?

If it's a stuck case, you have to "mortar" your AR to eject the round. Collapse the stock (very important), hold the gun with the stock pointed to the ground. Press the charging handle lever and slam the gun on the ground (not too much force is needed). This will eject the round. If you don't collapse the stock before doing this, you can break the stock and likely your finger.

You likely have a dirty, rough or tight chamber. I would get a bore brush on the end of a cordless drill and and polish your chamber.

Stomper, 308, hker71 and 1 other person like this.
  3. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

is it a live round stuck in there or just the empty brass after it fired?

4. Deathdealer503

Live round

5. Deathdealer503

I don't have the correct tools to mess with it and don't want to take any chances of it going off.

Joe13 likes this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Stick the muzzel in a 5 gal bucket of sand if there's a chance it could discharge, maybe wrap at shirt around it to protect the finish.

7. Deathdealer503

Thank you all for the help I will try it tomorrow but if I still have any problems can any of you recommend a gunsmith in Salem

8. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

There are lots of things you could do, But what I would do is take it to a gunsmith. There are lots of guys on youtube who will talk about methods to remove a stuck round, but the fact remains that even if you get the round out you still got a problem that needs to be addressed. It sounds like you got a ding in the chamber and the brass fire forming into it, or there is some scratching or something that the brass is grabbing. Is the bolt in battery so you can pull the upper and lower apart? If so I would transport it dissembled.

On second thought
    I retract what I said, I wasn't thinking. If the round is live in the chamber its not stuck because it was fire formed into a dink (duh)

You might have a headspace issue or a barrel extension issue. If the bolt is locked up and the round did not fire presumably the bolt is not in full battery.

I still think taking it to a gunsmith is a good idea. They can check the headspace and inspect the bolt, barrel extension and chamber for problems.

I would probably try to mortar it like others suggested though to see if you could persuade it, at least that way you would not have to transport it with a live round in there.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Joe13 likes this.
  9. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I agree with letting someone with experience handle it if you dont feel comfortable working on it. If you work on it just be in a location where the muzzle is down range pointed in a safe direction and in a place that is safe to fire.

What happened when you pulled the trigger? Did the hammer drop and nothing happen?

10. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Tagging this thread just to see how it all comes out in the end.

U201491 likes this.
  11. Deathdealer503

When I pull the trigger it will not go all the way back also I can't put the gun in safety it is stuck on fire.

12. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

So its not in full battery it sounds like. It probably is a headspace or barrel extension/bolt issue.

I think what I would do is hose the whole thing down with penetrating oil or WD-40 (spray it in anyplace you can get it and run some down the barrel and let it sit) and then try the mortar trick. I have banged on the charging handle using a 2 x 4 and a hammer before with some success but I hate to recommend that as a solution

13. jbett98

Did you try using the forward assist to get the bolt into battery?

U201491 likes this.
  14. Deathdealer503

Yes I did zero movement

15. jbett98

Was this a factory made rifle or a put together by others?

U201491 likes this.
  16. Deathdealer503

I bought it from a dealer at the gun show in Portland at the expo center I think it was from f and b I'll have to check the paperwork I will be calling them tomorrow to complain they told me it was a new ar-15 only test fired

17. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You ain't gon be dealin' no death with that thing.

Sounds like a junky parts AR. I'd try to get my money back.

18. Deathdealer503

So I checked the receipt I bought it from j&b firearms I will be contacting them tomorrow I will let you guys know what happend

19. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

With the rush for ARs and AR parts in the last year or two there were tons of parts that were rushed and sent to market out of spec. My brother's AR was functioning hit and miss - several FTEs - he thought it was a rough chamber and had a smith polish it out - runs better but still had issues. I looked at the brass from it and noticed that many of them had 2 elongated dings in them. After further inspection I discovered that the barrel extension must have had the final machining step on the feed ramps skipped so it has sharp edges instead of a beveled edge. Took the file to it and cleaned it up a bit the other day but haven't test fired the upper yet to see if it is working correctly now... Be ware of bad parts out there

20. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

I can vouch for gunsmith Mike Hill, located in Eugene, OR, and about an hour drive south of you. He is really a good guy to do business with. He can be reached at 541-689-9035.

I'm sure that there must be some good gunsmiths near you in Salem too.

Hopefully some folks from the Salem area will also chime in with some recommendations.

Rem725 and IronMonster like this.