JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately I have had to use the mortar treatment on a few friends' ARs. Scary on a live round situation, but I have been lucky. As far as gunsmiths in Salem, you could try MLC Exotic Class 3 in Salem. I think he may have a gunsmith onsite. He is open Tuesdays through Saturdays.

There is also Rich's Gun Shop in Donald. Lastly I think Blackwater tactical may even be able to help. Good luck and be safe.

Last Edited:
Kevin's Gunsmithing in Keizer, off Cherry Ave. I know he works on ARs.

This sounds like a job for a gunsmith. Money can buy a fix to this. It can't buy you a new eye or finger.

1279 Candlewood Dr NE,
Keizer, OR 97303
(503) 930-5160

Kevin's Gunsmithing in Keizer, off Cherry Ave. I know he works on ARs.

This sounds like a job for a gunsmith. Money can buy a fix to this. It can't buy you a new eye or finger.

1279 Candlewood Dr NE,
Keizer, OR 97303
(503) 930-5160
Kevin is a very good gunsmith. I have used his services before. He formerly worked out of Olie's gunshop until they retired. When I moved to the Salem area from Montana ten years ago it was hard finding a competent gunsmith. I finally found Kevin. I now live in Battle Ground but I would drive to Salem if I needed a gunsmith in the future. It's easy to find any old 'smith, it's hard to find one that really knows what he's doing.

I have had to do this a few times with both an AR15 and an M1A
Two issues with that video:
1) Joe tactical stuck the muzzle of his own rig in the dirt while helping the other
2) Having one's head above the muzzle while mortering a pig pile out of the chamber is not good. I look for something with a bit of elevation like a bench, or in the case of DRRC, there are some posts in the ground that work well.

Nothing new with this type of thing and ARs. It's the one thing that keeps me leaning towards my AK74 for when the potty hits the prime mover.

Take the upper off and turn it over. Look at where the lugs engage the barrel.
Once I had an AR that was stuck because of varnish & neglect. I used a prying tool to force the bolt carrier back which in turn got the bolt to rotate.
If you choose to do this, wear safety glasses and be aware of your muzzle direction just in case. A small amount of WD-40 might help too. Pry CAREFULLY between the bolt carrier and the barrel extension. Exercise common sense and most important, self restraint.

If you can take it to a gunsmith that is your best bet as they will be able to understand the problem and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm confused by all the back and forth. It sounds like the op has a live round stuck in the chamber, the BCG will not go full battery therefor there is no way to take down the rifle.

I will tell you how I have cleared this type of jam. It is something not many may be comfortable with, but I feel it is safe and it works.

Pull the BCG back and lock it to the rear using the bolt catch. Remove any magazine if not done already. Place a trimmed 2x4 or 1x4 piece of wood into vice that also fits into the magwell all the way up to the upper receiver. This will prevent the BCG from accidentally going forward and stopping any chance of the firing pin or part of the bolt face striking the primer. Once in the vice and the rifle pointed in a safe direction. Take a cleaning rod and insert it into the muzzle and tap the round out.

Once done. Take a set of calipers to the round and see if it was off spec. If the round is good. Get that rifle into a gunsmith, unless you have a set of "go, no go" gauges. Then you can measure the hard space on your own.

The OP stated that a live round was stuck in the chamber, his BCG was also stuck, but not completely in battery and the charging handle was not moving either.

The OP stated that a live round was stuck in the chamber, his BCG was also stuck, but not completely in battery and the charging handle was not moving either.

I can't think of many reasons a BCG charging handle would get stuck other than a catastrophic failure.

OP can you manipulate the BCG rearward? I reread everything, it sounds like it wouldn't? If that's the case something is wrong with the trigger group or buffer setup as well as your chamber. Or playing with it too much got it hung up on the gas key maybe?

I stick with my prior statement in my response. As long as you can manage to get the bolt locked back.

Contrary to popular belief rounds stuck in chambers do not spontaneously combust. So whacking the round with a cleaning round from the other will not cause the round to go off. Again, I recommend ensuring there is no possible way for the bolt to go forward 1st.

OP work on getting that bolt rearward and locked back 1st. If not get a smith involved.

Also if you can snap us some pictures of the rifle. Preferably a picture up the magwell and what can be seen from the ejection port.

I may be wrong buy my understanding is that the bolt is locked in the barrel extension but not quite in battery, which is why the charging handle will not move. The action is locked up tight.

I may be wrong buy my understanding is that the bolt is locked in the barrel extension but not quite in battery, which is why the charging handle will not move. The action is locked up tight.

If that is the case the roll pin MAY have come out of the buffer and caused the carrier to become lodged. I've seen this happen. However this would still allow the charging handle to move slightly between where the bolt is stuck and fully forward.

If the carrier is truly stuck, whether it is locked up in the trigger group or the extension, the usual method to fix is to remove the extension and pull everything out from the back. The fire control pins might have to be pulled if they are the cause as well. A smith would be involved likely unless the OP felt comfortable and had the tools.

This has been here for some time now. This still an issue or HAS IT BEEN RESOLVED ?
Seems it would not have been just sitting in this condition for that long ???
Just curious....

Last Edited:
This is a pretty common one. I've helped a couple buddies with it. Round could be fired, could not be fired, bolt is locked forward, charging handle can't be fully extended back.

Just like some other guys have stated, prying the bolt carrier housing back will solve this real quick. As soon as the carrier is broke loose, round should come right out.

Future reference if anyone runs into this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top