JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do yall know of anyone in the central Oregon area who can/will sharpen axes? I have a couple of old Gransfors Bruks axes that need a new edge. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!
I have a double bit Gransfors Bruks thats my baby :) If i were you i would order a puck and watch some youtube videos. Every man should know how to maintain his equipment and you might enjoy it, I do

One of the first things I'd do with a lottery win is buy at least one of every GB axes and hatchets made. :)

As others have opined, give sharpening a try. If the blades are not too worn you should be able to follow the edge angle quite easily.

I bought a puck the other day but one of them has a nasty chip and the other is quite worn. I don't know how good i can do but I'll surley try. That's what happens when you let people borrow your equipment i guess

Those have a convex edge. The best way to sharpen is with wetstones. But you can use other methods in a pinch.

Just take an old mouse pad, varying grits of wet dry and a hard surface. I take a chunk of hard maple stock cut 3 inch by 3 inch, wrap the wet/dry paper over the mouse pad on the maple chunk. To give you an idea it looks like the block is a hotdog wrapped in a but of mouse pad, and wet/dry. Take this, turn it upside down, then clamp in a vice and pull up a bit as you tighten the vice to get the pad/paper to tighten around the block. Spray the paper with water and "strop" the edge. Once you get through the grits of paper you can take it to a leather strop with fine grit polishing compound.

Geez, guys! I just turn on my bench-grinder and use the fine-grit wheel, then smooth things out with a fine file. Takes five minutes, tops.

It's not kitchen cutlery, it's a friggin' axe.

Geez, guys! I just turn on my bench-grinder and use the fine-grit wheel, then smooth things out with a fine file. Takes five minutes, tops.

It's not kitchen cutlery, it's a friggin' axe.
I take better care of my axe than i do my kitchen cutlery lol. Grinder is fine if thats what you like just dont let it get too hot. I just like doing it by hand. I find it therapeutic like cleaning my guns.

I bought a puck the other day but one of them has a nasty chip and the other is quite worn. I don't know how good i can do but I'll surley try. That's what happens when you let people borrow your equipment i guess

A good file will help take out the chip, and is easy to follow the edge angle.

There is a shop in downtown Bend called Iron Horse Antiques. A guy there specializes in old hand tools, axes, hatchets -etc... He can put on a new handle and straighten out an axe edge pretty good. (541) 382-5175

I take better care of my axe than i do my kitchen cutlery lol. Grinder is fine if thats what you like just dont let it get too hot. I just like doing it by hand. I find it therapeutic like cleaning my guns.

I have a Hudson Bay axe that I've spent hours and hours polishing. And you're right, it's therapeutic. It's right up there with tools and guns of things I don't loan out. If you want to chop rocks, I have a splitting maul for you that's probably sharper than you. ;)

Years ago I spent a couple days learning how to hand file the fire pulaskis for the Forest Service using 8" Bastard file & the 4" double sided pucks. I was surprised to find how efficient such an approach could be.

I have a Hudson Bay axe that I've spent hours and hours polishing. And you're right, it's therapeutic. It's right up there with tools and guns of things I don't loan out. If you want to chop rocks, I have a splitting maul for you that's probably sharper than you. ;)
I wont loan out a axe. Most of the ones I have in my collection were given to me by my grandfather.

You lent out GB axes????????????????????????????? :eek:

Ermagerd, even if she were still alive I would let me mother borrow mine.

Caring for your axe - Gränsfors Bruk

Edited to add ........ I use a sharpening puck and water. I sit on the back porch, in a chair next to a shallow bucket with water in it, dunk the puck. While sharpening, when slurry builds up, I dunk the puck. Holding the axe still, I move the puck in circular motions along the edge at a consistent angle. I build up the burr on one side and do the other side. Alternate sides until you get the edge you want. I don't us anything besides the coarse side of the puck and finish up with the medium side of the puck.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top