JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just look at guns like I look at cars would I rather have a pristine bmw m4 from the factory or some hack piece of bubblegum rice burner with a spoiler that some jack wagon put together in his garage. Sure you can use a lot of great quality parts but at the end of the day the factory built product holds more value as a durable good. When someone adds extras to there cars it almost always add no value in the private market. It's simple economics. Therefore 90% of home built ars are basically garbage to me. Sure there may be a few rich guys out there dumping obscene amounts of money into parts for there ar builds but even those guys will generally be taking some kind of hit on a resale value. Of course you could have good salesmanship and sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves but im still calling a spade a spade.

Last Edited:
HK416A5_14_RAL_re.png
Factory > home build bling-bling-ar-15.jpg

You can keep your garbage.

Not all homebuilds are blinged, Gooney O'Rooney Pimpguns though.

Consider this lower, for example:
20161206_204931_zpsbdri0bme.jpg
It'll never sell for a profit, but its real value is the things it will protect once its upper goes on.

I guess this is a long shot but here it goes. I have a need for the following.

I would like to see a big brand name off the shelf ar-15 chambered in 6.5 grendel with possibly an 18 inch barrel or possibly even a 20 inch barrel that is a lighter barrel. I really hate heavy guns but I love long barrels in the right applications and if anyone knows the 6.5 grendel you would probably agree that a 20 inch barrel is practically a minimum barrel length you would want to get optimum round performance. My issue like I said is I hate heavy guns (this is case by case) so I would probably settle for an 18 inch barrel but nothing less. So here's the thing. I'm a stickler for factory produced weapons and while im sure it's possible to build your own ar with great parts I just love factory guns especially when the market is so flooded with ar15s. home built Jerry rigged bullbubblegum just doesn't do it for me. I'm really amazed there isn't anyone out there producing 6.5 grendel to sell commonly at a gun store the round is so good it's disgusting. I would love to see an m&p15 style weapon with a light weight 20 inch barrel or maybe even a Springfield or colt. Bushmaster doesn't do it for me and neither does dpms. So I don't know what you people can do for me but maybe Santa will read this or some bubblegum. So in conclusion I guess this isn't really a need but definitely a want.
Thumbs up if this sounds like something you would want In your stocking?
Are you not confident enough in your abilities to put one together? It sure ain't rocket science, and paying the premium for some assembly monkey to put a "big brand name" gun together when you can build the same exact gun for 20% or more under retail should be an obvious choice. Shouldn't it? Come on, it's adult legos.

Factory is greater than built? To some degree sure but it seems like noone is going to sway you otherwise regardless. If it makes you happy with that peace of mind then whatever floats your boat. For me, my experience with some factory builds didn't leave me wowing Iike you and I guess I'm one of those AR ricers who likes to put them together myself. As long you're happy with your hobbies then that's all that matters. :cool:

How'd you sneak THAT one through the bubblegum filter?
Let me assure you it's doesn't take much brass, nor need you be crass or lack class or compassion. No need to be sassy, harassing, no need to hassle nor assemble a mass of assertions. I simply assayed the classifications dispassionately and amassed an encompassing morass of associations. :D

I get it. The op doesn't want a homebuilt or second rate firearm. I definitely tend to value the home built rifles I see in the classifieds lower than the name brand ones, especially when someone is trying to sell them as super high end. I would never even consider spending more than ~$800 on a rifle from unknown origins, even if the builder/seller claimed they had $2000 into it. That's called provenance. Y'all need to chill out a bit, he wasn't bashing your homebuilt guns. I'm sure they're nice.

@Roop I think most folks here's major point is the more specific your requirements, the less likely you are to find them in an off-the-shelf or even Custom Shop offering; past a certain point you're stuck working with bespoke boutique Build-to-Order shops whose bare uppers cost as much as a complete Saint or LE6920.

Once you cross that line, DIY becomes about the only affordable option...

Ah geez did the Saint really get lumped in with the 6920 as examples of quality factory rifles? The Saint.....LOL. Really. Another AR with a fancy name. :p

Ah geez did the Saint really get lumped in with the 6920 as examples of quality factory rifles? The Saint.....LOL. Really. Another AR with a fancy name. :p
No, I was citing it as an example of "You know you're dealing with an overpriced shop when their bare upper costs as much as..."

You know, the kind who for the price they ask their forgings better be annealed using the whizz of Jesus Himself...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top