JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You sound like you have the right attitude and motivation. I think you will not regret joining IF you can get your wife to support your decision. Long separations can put a lot of stress on the best marriages, especially if there are kids. It might be worthwhile to check with a local military installation to see if they have a spouse support group where she can go and ask questions. Military wives, active duty, guard or reserve, are in a pretty good position to explain the impact on them. Some of them will have negative experiences to talk about, especially when it comes to deployments, frequent moves, etc., but she will also hear from those who consider military life as a positive. Either way, the experience will ensure she is part of the decision process which might be enough to gain her support. Good luck.

I won't comment on your motives for wanting to enlist, everyone has their own. I will say that consider all aspects of military life, talk to as many people as you can about military, find out how your wife ACTUALLY feels about it (not necessarily what she tells you), and go from there. Went I arrived at Marine Corps basic training, there was a 29 y/o and a 31 y/o. They both finished the training and received their Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on time. With the right attitude and more strength than you ever thought you had in you, you can achieve this. Although I only did one reserve enlistment and one deployment, those experiences will be with me forever, and the respect shown to service people is worth every bit of pain in training and on the battlefield.

Thanks guys. Yeah besides you guys I have a cousin that's a Marine that has been to Iraq/Afghanistan 4 times I've talked to. He's married with child and he's in Afghanistan right now on his fourth tour.
I have a friend that was in the Army, did one tour. It's a she, so I get the female perspective.
And one of my good friends is an Army wife of a helocopter pilot. They've been married for about 10 years and has two children I think 3 and 2? Around there. So she sent me a long letter of the good, bad, and ugly and from an Army wife's point of view told me I should definetly do it. So I showed that to my wife.
Were in the best position right now to do it, bad jobs/low paying jobs, no kids, and not where we really want to be. So she is really keeping an open mind about it. She is really afraid of obviously moving, living on base, scared I'm going to get deployed, and what trauma that could have on me mentally. Not so much that I could die, but what I might have to witness and how that can change me. i.e. PTSD.

The girl I know had a episode about 4 years after coming back. Nothing bad, she's fine. But that's the big things.

I'm going to talk to a Air Force recruiter and the Army recruiter again and see what my options are. Then once I get closer to finding what I want, having my wife come to the recruiter and she can ask her questions too.

I'm really leaning towards an MP or Security Forces for AF. Anyone have experience with these?

My career was in the Air Force so I am biased toward that service. If you are looking toward a career in law enforcement I would think the training and experience you get as a military policeman, regardless of branch, would help get a job in the civilian world.

Kenjo,

What can I expect for being stationed?
Out of AIT do I get to give my opinion?
Is it completely out of my hands? What I've heard.

My Army wife friend said her husband got to write his 3 tops spots he would want. Not exactly a gaurentee you will get one of them. And I think a lot of it has to do with the job you have.

Oh and when I was reading through the National Guard forum I saw a guy posted a comment about a guy wearing a Marine uniform in the Vegas airport who wasn't a Marine and wasn't wearing the uniform correctly.Maybe he was trolling for girls, or looking for a free lunch. He happened to walk by a couple Drill Sargents and got the tongue lashing of a lifetime. I'm surprised he was able to leave with his teeth.

Oh and when I was reading through the National Guard forum I saw a guy posted a comment about a guy wearing a Marine uniform in the Vegas airport who wasn't a Marine and wasn't wearing the uniform correctly.Maybe he was trolling for girls, or looking for a free lunch. He happened to walk by a couple Drill Sargents and got the tongue lashing of a lifetime. I'm surprised he was able to leave with his teeth.
Ha! Don't mess with real marines!

Sorry I can't answer your questions about assignments, schools, etc. I retired in 94 so I don't know what the enlistment guarantees are these days. Best to talk to a recruiter and get everything in writing.

Ken

Cool, Thanks. I'm spoke with an Army recruiter briefly. I'm going to go talk to a Air Force recruiter tomorrow.

I heard they were jerks so hopefully I can get some answers with attitude.

What happened to the good ol' days when recruiters used to kiss every piece of your bum to get you to enlist. I've talked to maybe 5 different recruiters and all, but one of them was a complete Ahole.
I always dress nice, shave before I go in, call them Sir.

Don't know.

What happened to the good ol' days when recruiters used to kiss every piece of your bum to get you to enlist. I've talked to maybe 5 different recruiters and all, but one of them was a complete Ahole.
I always dress nice, shave before I go in, call them Sir.

Don't know.

My GUESS is that there are a lot of people out of work and turning to the military as an option for employment. This means, of course, that the recruiters can be more picky about who they spend their time on. Just my thoughts...

That's true one of the recruiters told me a few years ago they were throwing money at people to get them to join, and now you lucky if they even help you with paperwork.

Man I was just looking at the fitness standards and I thought I was in good shape, but I got some work to do.
Push ups 77 in 2 min
Sit ups 82 in 2 mins
2mi run in 13.20 mins

I can do the push ups, and probably the run no problem, but the sit ups will be tough. With my sketchy back I can do about 38 in a minute, but after that my back starts to get pretty tight.

Since you mention student loans, i assume you have some college time. If you graduated from college, look at becoming an Officer. Especially active duty. The pay is WAY batter and so is the life style. Air Force Officer Training School is 3 months long (90-day Wonders) and you pop out a 2Lt.

AF life is vastly more pleasant than the other services (comments by other service member are not required;)). I spent 13 years as an active duty AF Officer and 7 years in the OR Army NG. AF is the way to go!

Kenjo,

What can I expect for being stationed?
Out of AIT do I get to give my opinion?
Is it completely out of my hands? What I've heard.

My Army wife friend said her husband got to write his 3 tops spots he would want. Not exactly a gaurentee you will get one of them. And I think a lot of it has to do with the job you have.

Don't ever expect to get stationed where you want to. When I graduated my training, we had a chance to list our top three. Instead, thinking I would be easy to accommodate, I put "any submarine in the Pacific fleet." With literally half of the submarine Navy able to satisfy my desires, I felt I had a good chance. I was sent to a boat in Connecticut.

Dang that's loco.

I think I'm close to signing up with the Army for active duty. I've been talking (arguing) with my wife. She is still scared that we will be sent overseas. I'm more afraid of some place like Mississippi, or Alabama. Or worse Umatilla, lol

I want to be an MP at least that's what I think will help me the most through gaining rank, and LEO/fed job after.

Any other suggestions, I need a back up plan as well. But I don't think I want to do Infantry. Maybe if I was younger and not married. But then again MP might not be much better.

Even if I sign up now, I wouldn't go to BCT until at least June or July.

I sort of LOL'd at el gringo loco. When I was in the Coast Guard, at Cape May, I asked for any patrol boat in the 14th district. (Hawaii, Guam) I really wanted to go to Guam, on a 110. However, I ended up on a 378 out of Hawaii and spent most of my sea time in the 17th district(Alaska). I am happy now how it all turned out, but back then, I was really bummed.
Just remember, the key phrase, "For the good of the service". In other words, it is nice they give you the option but when all is said and done, if you ask for Texas and you end up in Alaska, well, you are there because they "need" you there and most likely you are taking the place of someone who got the same "choice" you got.
I have a college friend who was MP in the Army. Spent a lot of time at GTMO. Got into dog handling (K9). Now she is the lead K9 Trooper in the state of Vermont.
If you don't mind small boats, some uncommon knowledge is that the Army actually has more vessels than the Navy, and they have some pretty nice docks.
Artillery gives you a big bang!
Communications is pretty cool too, thats what I did.

Good to know.
I've actually been to Guam. I wouldn't want to be stationed there. I was there for 2 weeks and was bored after 3-4 days. Except for the 4 days I spent laying on my front side cause I burned that crap out of my back snorkeling for 4 hours. I couldn't put a shirt on for 2 days. I had tan lines on my back burned in for about 10 years.

I'm having a tough time picking an MOS. I'm really leaning towards MP, a lot of people say it doesn't transfer over well for LEOs. I've heard a lot both ways. I just hate the thought of standing at a gate all day everyday. But if that's what they need me to do. It will be done.

I will keep you all posted, when if it happens, when I go to meps.

If you really want to fight with the best get the RIP option and go to Ranger Regiment.

AF SP is a pretty good way to go if you go Air Force/ANG.

Army MP's - Dealt with them quite a bit and never liked any of them with their high and mighty attitude on post. Find them off post and they're cowards.

Sat Coms is a great technical MOS to check out for life after the military. So is anything in the medical field as well.

I don't think being an MP will help you in getting a LEO job anymore than just "being a vet" would. Recruiters and people in the military talk a lot about using your job in the military to get a job on the outside. Now in my third industry post-military, I can say that, in my experience, that schoolof thought is a myth. The miltary does things very differently from the outside world. Employers that seek out vets are not looking for someone who already knows how to do a particular job in the military. They may like the idea that certain skills transfer over, but they are really lookig for the confidence, competence, leadership skills, adaptability, tractability, and other intangibles that a vet beings with them. Pick a job you will enjoy doing and one that requires a bit of intellect to qualify for. Plan on enjoying that job while you are in and- if that job leads to a career on the outside-great. If MP fits the bill-great, too. But, being an MP might not lead into a LEO career. A job that has a tech component to it will provide some great fallback career paths and make you just as eligible for a cop job.

Also, your wife's concerns are very real and very legitimate. An unhappy military wife will not be a military wife for very long. She needs to be okay with the worst case scenario.

Very true.
We've been talking about it for months. Were in a bad position where were at right now with no future so I think she sees this as I do an opportunity to make a life for ourselves. I know it gaurentees nothing, but it won't hurt. Unless I die.
I've just tried to supply her with the bad and good alike to get her prepared for everything.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top