JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So about 6 months ago I moved to Kentucky from Vancouver, WA. I am having a tough time finding work and running out of time trying to pay bills.

I know some of you are in the National Guard or have been, and I've been seriously thinking about joining. Not just because I'm need some extra cash, but because I've never served in the Military and it's always been something I have wanted to do, or regretted not doing.
I know I have a good chance of getting deployed maybe even ASAP after training. I'm not afraid to go, but I'm afraid of leaving my wife and the worry that would cause for her. I'm 29 years old and I don't have any kids. So I really have no other reasons why I can't.

I think it's something that can give me some better skills and a change in my attitude. Also it's an experience I won't get anywhere else. I see myself getting older and not doing anything with my life so I feel like this can be my way to serve my country, get some adventure, and possibly make myself more attractive to employers.
I've read several books on Iraq and Afghanistan and I feel like I have the ability to help other men and women of this country serving. I have always said if you have the ability to help others you have the obligation to do so.

What do you all think? What are your experiences? Good, bad, or just ugly?

I think I would like it. I'm just afraid of leaving the wife, and of course the unknown. How long I will be gone I think BCT and Adv training is about 10 weeks. And I think it would be best to do it soon since I just have a full time job. I'm working a temp job right now.

My .02, for what it's worth...I'd say go for it if you've truly looked at it from all angles. The military certainly isn't for everyone, but it can be a great experience for those who choose to serve. But spend a bit of time researching the job you enlist for and make sure it's something you'd be interested in doing. It can be a very rewarding experience if you're sure it's for you. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to address them for you, and there are several other Vets on here that can add their knowledge as well. It's a great step in life, I hope it works out well for you!:s0155:

The National Guard can be a great experience if you make it that way. Take your time and chose your job and your unit carefully. When you get ready to talk to a recruiter ask him what jobs are available in your area there should be several units in the area. The chance of deploying depends alot on the state your in and the unit. Keep us posted I will do my best to answer questions for you.

It sounds like you've given it some serious thought already. Personally, I wouldn't recommend someone join the military solely because they need money, but it sounds like you are thinking way past that. I found my service career (9 yrs) rewarding, and I got the specialized training that has allowed me to make a lot of money over the years since I've been out.

Keith

Which branch are you looking at ? I did 4 years active duty and 16 years in the Air National Guard. What ever you do be sure to get in writing the job you want. Don't be general in the area you want. Go for it. They will even help you pay for any schooling you may want to take.

Just do it:D If I had it to do all over I really wish I would have joined either the guard or the service. My dad was a 20 yr man and it would have been over that for me now. Good luck with your choice and I hope it all works out for you:s0155:

So having spent 6 years active and 4 years guard I think the only advice I can give you would be to mirror what Parsons said above.... Visit a couple of Units gt to know what their jobs are and what their drills tend to include... My first unit was an HHC, and was boring as ****, we tended jsut to show up and do nothing regarding training or preparedness... The 2nd unit when I moved from AZ to CO was an Armored unit and was very High Speed Low drag... They busted *** from 0600 Sat morning to 1700 Sun night.. I really liked that unit..

The training and perspective on life that you will get, will be life changing. When it comes to jobs (MOS's) pick something you like. Also start studying for the ASVAB the higher you score the more choices you have...

Get everything in writing, Enlistment bonus, job, etc etc.

Just know what you are getting into as far as choosing an MOS and the unit you are joining. Ask about "Guard for a day" program. We would let potential recruits join our unit for a drill weekend and see what its like. Sometimes it was actual training, sometimes it was inspections and itemizing supply inventories... :) If you are doing it for extra money and some training or college money and don't want to deploy, don't join. Expect to deploy, do your duty and then appreciate some of the benefits. You can get benefits and even have some fun on occasion but you have to want to serve something greater than yourself. If you can do that, you'll do just fine.

After serving for 12 years, not in the NG though it would be a good experience. At first most people think they made a mistake but after time its worth it.

One thing to remember as long as you can take orders with a positive attitude you will be fine.

You only get what you want out of it as long as you are willing to give what you put into it.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Thanks Guys, I think I'm going to talk to a recruiter. I've never been good at tests so I need to study up a bit more and see what they have to offer.
I have two questions maybe you guys could answer.
1. Does the NG pay for any school bills already received, ie. Student loans.
2. And what if I join in KY and move back to OR can I transfer my NG duties there, or would I be able to commute back to KY for weekend service?

Couple of interesting questions....

1) I've got no current info on the new GI Bill...

2) you should be able to transfer units as long as the Oregon unit you are looking at has a slot open... Best done with lots of communication between your current unit and the one you are looking to transfer into...

As far as the ASVAB goes there are literally a metric butt ton of online study guides and prepetory tests that you can practice on...

Being a member of the National Guard also means you are supporting and defending this country and the constitution. Too many Americans have little appreciation for both. Serving in the military is a patriotic calling--it's a shame so many citizens take the military and the rights they defend for granted. The patriotic stuff notwithstanding, if you stick it out for a career you will have a decent pension and medical/dental benefits after age 60.

:s0160:

Thanks Guys, I think I'm going to talk to a recruiter. I've never been good at tests so I need to study up a bit more and see what they have to offer.
I have two questions maybe you guys could answer.
1. Does the NG pay for any school bills already received, ie. Student loans.
2. And what if I join in KY and move back to OR can I transfer my NG duties there, or would I be able to commute back to KY for weekend service?

Answer one it depends education benifits vary from year to year definitly ask its not unheard of.

Answer two definatly all you have to do is inform your unit your moving to another state they will put you in contact with a recruiter that just does transfers between states. I have helped several guys do this.

So about 6 months ago I moved to Kentucky from Vancouver, WA. I am having a tough time finding work and running out of time trying to pay bills.

I know some of you are in the National Guard or have been, and I've been seriously thinking about joining. Not just because I'm need some extra cash, but because I've never served in the Military and it's always been something I have wanted to do, or regretted not doing.
I know I have a good chance of getting deployed maybe even ASAP after training. I'm not afraid to go, but I'm afraid of leaving my wife and the worry that would cause for her. I'm 29 years old and I don't have any kids. So I really have no other reasons why I can't.

I think it's something that can give me some better skills and a change in my attitude. Also it's an experience I won't get anywhere else. I see myself getting older and not doing anything with my life so I feel like this can be my way to serve my country, get some adventure, and possibly make myself more attractive to employers.
I've read several books on Iraq and Afghanistan and I feel like I have the ability to help other men and women of this country serving. I have always said if you have the ability to help others you have the obligation to do so.

What do you all think? What are your experiences? Good, bad, or just ugly?
Just man-up and join the Marines. The old lady will likely leave you anyway. Might as well learn the proper way to fight, kill, and break things. OOHRAH! Greydog.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top