JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try tumbling primed brass with spent primers. I do and it works great!
??? Primed as in new primers installed? I was referring to wet tumbling brass with the spent primers still in them and getting stuck SS pins wedged in the flash hole as the were unable to pass cleanly through.

One thing I've noticed is that if I leave the primers in while wet tumbling and the cases sit a while before I use them I get lot more what I call soup cans and ringers that stop the loading process. By depriming first I cull those out and the pockets dry with no residue to cause more.

The only issue with spent primers as media is that the cup and anvil are brass, so you can't use a magnet to separate them from the cases. I have a tumble style media separator that I use to both separate the pins and to remove as much water as possible before drying the cases. I find a magnet helps the process along when, after dumping he cases into the separator and before closing the drum I run a magnet through the pile of brass. It takes less cranking of the drum to get the rest of the pins out.

Using primers however is a great idea that works. And the material is free.

Merry Christmas everyone!

@oremike

Pray tell ...

What exactly is a "soup can" and a "ringer"!
A soup can is where the flat part of the primer flips up like a soup can lid and a ringer is when the flat part seperates but leaves the ring in the case. A soup can will lock up the press and a ringer won't let a new primer seat. Both bad things in the ammo making business.

Thanks @oremike.

I have never seen a "soup can" but I have on occasion had the "ringer", and yes, it's a pain. And I'm just a poor Cretan, non-professional loader playing with a basic 550 set up. I can only imagine what a pain that would be on a motorized press!

Thanks @oremike.

I have never seen a "soup can" but I have on occasion had the "ringer", and yes, it's a pain. And I'm just a poor Cretan, non-professional loader playing with a basic 550 set up. I can only imagine what a pain that would be on a motorized press!
Yep, my presses aren't motor driven but I do load a bit more ammo than a casual loader so anything I can do to smooth out the bumps in the road so to speak are important to me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top