JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was sorting through some .38 Special I just pulled from the tumbler ...

20211223_080255.jpg

And noticed ...

20211223_080313.jpg

A closer look ...

20211223_080329.jpg

I'm glad I caught that nasty lil' bugger before running the "parent" case through a decapping die!

This is not the worst case of nesting I've had. Once when I was separating range brass through a sorting sieve a .45ACP case was found with a .40 S&W nesting inside, with a 9mm in that, with a .32 ACP in that and wait ... there is more ... a .25 ACP inside of that one!

Oh, yes ... when I pulled the above pair apart there was a spent .22LR case inside.

Last Edited:

View attachment 1094339

And noticed ...

View attachment 1094340

An even closer look ...

View attachment 1094341

Glad I caught that before running it through a decapping die!

This is not the worst case of nesting I've had. Once when I was separating range brass through a sorting sieve a .45ACP case was found with a .40 S&W nesting inside, with a 9mm in that, with a .32 ACP in that and wait ... there is more ... a .25 ACP inside of that one!

Oh, yes ... when I pulled the above pair apart there was a spent .22LR case inside.
Seat a primer in it and send it, LOL

Wet tumbler with pins. I don't deprime pistol brass prior to tumbling. So the .38 Special case still has the spent primer in place.

Last Edited:
You could trickle the powder charge through the flash hole. If you ever shot anyone in defense, it would be the first case of an empty shell casing being found in the perp.

Wet tumbler with pins. I don't deprime pistol brass prior to tumbling. So the .38 Special case still has the spent primer in place.
I'm sorry, feeling a little spunky tonight. I have lots of spare 38Spl cases if you need some. Have a great night!

Last Edited:

View attachment 1094339

And noticed ...

View attachment 1094340

An even closer look ...

View attachment 1094341

Yeah. Thanks for reminding me about the big black funnelweb spider I found in a .45 case once...I found it with the decapping pin...gag

View attachment 1094339

And noticed ...

View attachment 1094340

An even closer look ...

View attachment 1094341

It's like….. Russian nesting shells!

So my question would be why wet tumble with pins without depriming first? Seems like you're giving up one of the prime advantages of cleaning with pins, cleaning the primer pockets. That's a big part of what finally got me on the wet tumbler bandwagon, the misery of cleaning primer pockets by hand. Later.

Dave

@daved20319

I don't mess with primer pockets on pistol brass. I used to do this, then took the time to experiment. I sorted a few hundred cases by weight and fired them all for a baseline. Using the same load, I randomly split the lot into thirds. I totally prepped 1/3 by uniforming to the same depth, placing a slight chamber on the pocket edge to protect the primer cup when seating, and even deburred the flash hole from the inside. I then fired the whole lot. This was repeated by hand cleaning the first 1/3 of the brass and then prepping another 1/3 of the pockets and firing again. I then prepped the last 1/3 and shot them off, so the whole lot was now prepped. Same load, same gun (my bullseye .45, a very accurate firearm). I then did the same drill using only 60 cases in .44 Mag and ran them through a very accurate revolver that I used in metallic silhouette.

The mean group size was the same regardless. I had one of my kids move the labels on the boxes of loaded rounds so that I did not know which box had prepped pockets and which did not. I kind of figured they would all shoot the same but what the heck, it's fun to experiment. Because of this I decided it's not worth the time to decap prior to cleaning.

So, I only mess with rifle primer pockets now as rifles, especially match grade guns, do show improvement if you take the time to mess with the primer pockets.

So, now to your question; I like the very clean case interior that pins provide. There is not much improvement in cleaning over just tumbling, but it is there. It doesn't add any time to the processing as I tumble the brass in the media separator after cleaning both to separate the pins and to remove as much water as possible before the cases go into the case dryer. The clean interior makes it easier to see issues with the brass that might cause it to be trashed. It also reflects light better making is easier to look into the case as it comes out from under the powder die to ensure there is a powder charge or to notice a light or extra heavy drop.

I hope this helps,

Merry Christmas!

A while back I ran a decapping pin into a 9mm bullet that was stuck in the bottom of a case!

They were given to me and were clean so I was just sizing away when the press handle suddenly stopped!

So my question would be why wet tumble with pins without depriming first? Seems like you're giving up one of the prime advantages of cleaning with pins, cleaning the primer pockets. That's a big part of what finally got me on the wet tumbler bandwagon, the misery of cleaning primer pockets by hand. Later.

Dave
I've broke several decapping pins from not decapping first. The stainless pins will sometimes stick in the primer cup, doesn't happen too often but enough to annoy the hell out of me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top