JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have 8 pounds of Lil Gun type powder and couple of pounds of actual Lil Gun powder and was thinking about trying it with cast bullet load data from Lyman. After pouring through their cast bullet handbook I couldn't find any rifle loads using the Lil Gun powder. Anybody know why? For those who have used Lil Gun powder and other powders in the same type loads, what did little gun most compare too? As far as burn rate goes, they did have it listed on the burn rate index page between Accurate 1680 and IMR4198.

This little tid bit came from another online post I found, I am wondering if Lyman didn't have time to invest in Lil Gun loads for 4th Edition. Maybe 5th edition will have data for it? It looks like the 4th Edition originally came out in 2010. They do have limited data listed for Lil Gun in a few of their very large caliber handgun cartridge chapters.

The Hodgdon 2004 Manual showed no Lil'Gun loads for rifle but did for pistol. With a 158 gr jacketed, the manual showed a max of 18.0 grs. With a 170 gr jacketed, it showed a max of 17.0 grs. The max velocities for those pistol loads were 1577 fps and 1576 fps.

I called "Help" at Hodgdon about the lack of rifle loads in the manual. "Dave" said they simply hadn't had time to test the Lil'Gun loads in a rifle. For my 165 gr cast bullet, he suggested starting lower and working up to around 16 grs. "Lil'Gun works better with lead using gaschecks and heavier bullets," he said.

Last Edited:
Edit I looked at my 8 pounder again and it is a 1680 type powder not Lil Gun type but the question remains about why Lyman doesn't include Lil Gun data for cast rifle loads? I have read that Lil Gun only works well with 90% plus case fill, like the H110/W296 powders. Lyman does include lots of data with those powders.

Lyman does have quite a bit of data using 1680 powder so I will have a good supply if that powder works well.

I have 8 pounds of Lil Gun type powder and couple of pounds of actual Lil Gun powder and was thinking about trying it with cast bullet load data from Lyman. After pouring through their cast bullet handbook I couldn't find any rifle loads using the Lil Gun powder. Anybody know why? For those who have used Lil Gun powder and other powders in the same type loads, what did little gun most compare too? As far as burn rate goes, they did have it listed on the burn rate index page between Accurate 1680 and IMR4198.

This little tid bit came from another online post I found, I am wondering if Lyman didn't have time to invest in Lil Gun loads for 4th Edition. Maybe 5th edition will have data for it? It looks like the 4th Edition originally came out in 2010. They do have limited data listed for Lil Gun in a few of their very large caliber handgun cartridge chapters.

The Hodgdon 2004 Manual showed no Lil'Gun loads for rifle but did for pistol. With a 158 gr jacketed, the manual showed a max of 18.0 grs. With a 170 gr jacketed, it showed a max of 17.0 grs. The max velocities for those pistol loads were 1577 fps and 1576 fps.

I called "Help" at Hodgdon about the lack of rifle loads in the manual. "Dave" said they simply hadn't had time to test the Lil'Gun loads in a rifle. For my 165 gr cast bullet, he suggested starting lower and working up to around 16 grs. "Lil'Gun works better with lead using gaschecks and heavier bullets," he said.

As to WHY Lyman doesn't have data for Li'l Gun Powder with cast bullets for rifle. Lyman either did not use Li'l Gun powder, OR, they DID test loads for cast bullets in rifle and found the results unsatisfactory. That's the way I look at reloading data anyway.
YMMV

Be very careful working with Lil'Gun powder. I have found it spikes easily. :eek:

My go to powder for large cast gas check bullets for my .458S is W-296. It is close to Lil'Gun on the burn chart, but not nearly as touchy. :)

From the Lyman 50th:

This powder was designed for use in 410 shotguns, as well as small capacity rifles cartridges and magnum handgun loads. Some of the calibers that we used this powder for include the 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, and 500 S&W Magnum. (D, B)

Griffin, Thomas; Roziecki, Dave; Angelo, Joe; Friedmann, Elizabeth; Ramage, Ken; Haviland, John; Emary, Dave; Newport, Ryan; Pearce, Lane. Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook (p. 68). Kindle Edition.

What cartridges are you loading for? Give me specifics and I'll check for you. Later.

Dave

From the Lyman 50th:

This powder was designed for use in 410 shotguns, as well as small capacity rifles cartridges and magnum handgun loads. Some of the calibers that we used this powder for include the 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, and 500 S&W Magnum. (D, B)

Griffin, Thomas; Roziecki, Dave; Angelo, Joe; Friedmann, Elizabeth; Ramage, Ken; Haviland, John; Emary, Dave; Newport, Ryan; Pearce, Lane. Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook (p. 68). Kindle Edition.

What cartridges are you loading for? Give me specifics and I'll check for you. Later.

Dave
I was mostly interested in why is what wasn't included in any of their cast rifle data? Hodgdon lists jacketed data for about a dozen different rifle cartridges. I bought it to use in 300 BO.

I have read on several reloading forums where guys have had the throats of their rifles being ruined for Lil-Gun powder.
I had a pound of it and gave it away.
With so many other types of powder out there why take a chance.

I use lil-gun for subs in the 300 BLK works good and I don't think 9.0 grs is going to burn out the throut any time soon.

Freedom Arms, after warning about forcing cone issues with Lil Gun, no longer publishes loads using Lil Gun.

Lil Gun does have a reputation for cutting top straps and damaging forcing cones. However, it takes a few rounds to notice the damage

Freedom Arms, after warning about forcing cone issues with Lil Gun, no longer publishes loads using Lil Gun.

Lil Gun does have a reputation for cutting top straps and damaging forcing cones. However, it takes a few rounds to notice the damage
Shades of Blue Dot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top