JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bagged a wild hog. Can't wait to do it again! Custom 300blk rifle, mostly Aero parts.

mod20230708_073917.jpg

Last Edited:
Cool, I'm going to be heading down there soon too!
Where you headed? I might not head back to the lodge I was at since they are looking at getting out of wild hog hunts. They have 160+ acres of fenced land they have been putting wild hogs on for guided hunts. I was also told the availability of wild hogs is dwindling due to the increasing commercial value of the meat. Maybe their deer season might be interesting. My wife first took me there as a surprise five years ago as a "baby moon," I hadn't been to the range much since our first son was born. They had a guided rifle shoot which to that point in my life I had only ever shot bolt action .22, a 12 gauge shotgun, and rented handguns. They also had hog hunting, which was a first for me and is what brought me back.

If you thought it was fun and worth it, then it was.
I certainly learned a lot from my guide. Reading about stalking and target leading and getting a broadside shot are one thing. Having someone to tell you when your adrenaline is up made the whole thing easier. First animal harvest with a rifle ever. First visit to this place was easy mode, there were 150+ hogs, this time there were 10, and the cedar got thicker over the last five years.

Do the helicopter hog hunt next.
While that sounds really cool, most of them don't do prey recovery. I've been in it for the meat.
Plus, those things are an invasive species - the more the better.
Guide was telling me they buy them from trappers and could get almost 100 at a time. This year they are lucky to get 10 in a month. Hog population has been down since hunting them on private land with permission no longer requires a hunting license.

Where you headed? I might not head back to the lodge I was at since they are looking at getting out of wild hog hunts. They have 160+ acres of fenced land they have been putting wild hogs on for guided hunts. I was also told the availability of wild hogs is dwindling due to the increasing commercial value of the meat. Maybe their deer season might be interesting. My wife first took me there as a surprise five years ago as a "baby moon," I hadn't been to the range much since our first son was born. They had a guided rifle shoot which to that point in my life I had only ever shot bolt action .22, a 12 gauge shotgun, and rented handguns. They also had hog hunting, which was a first for me and is what brought me back.
I haven't picked anywhere yet, still waiting to hear back from a few ranches. Where did you go?

This is going to be a combo of 2 things I've been wanting to do: A long motorcycle/camping trip and a meat-harvesting trip.

I haven't picked anywhere yet, still waiting to hear back from a few ranches. Where did you go?

This is going to be a combo of 2 things I've been wanting to do: A long motorcycle/camping trip and a meat-harvesting trip.
I'm going to keep that on the down low since they appear to be getting out of hog hunting, and other local guests were denied a hunt. I got to go because I had expressed interest back in February and I came from halfway across the country, there was also some communication issues between the activities staff and management. Tl;Dr I would have canceled my stay at the lodge had I been told within the cancelation period if I had known they weren't doing hunting. There are quite a few other places up by Dallas, down near College Station; but I plan on hitting Storm Ranch at near Austin next time so I can get a longer shot. The place I was at was covered in cedar brush, near impossible to get a shot longer than 35-60 yards.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews